Best Northeastern city/region for interracial relationships

Rwarky

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the most accepting Northeastern city/region for interracial dating and relationships?

I would say anywhere south of Boston is cool. I was in Boston with a friend of mine who has a white girlfriend and the response was disgusting. Not to say that all in Boston are like that, but that was the only time I experienced anything so blatant regarding interracial couples. In CT no one give a damn, in NY no one gives a damn, don't know about RI. I'm sure that the enire mid atlantic from DC to NJ is pretty accepting as well.

Yup, I'd agree that DC through Boston you're fine. Here in Providence, I don't think anyone would bat an eyelash... I was at a restaurant here near Brown about a week ago and was struck by the thought that I was problem the only person in the place not in an interracial relationship... I felt so regressive!

- Garris

Providence, RI

Yeah I think most cities in the northeast (and the country I hope) would not have any problem with interracial couples. I know Providence and Boston first hand are very open with interracial, gay, every kind of couple. You can find all kinds of genders, races, ethnicities making out on street corners in Providence on the weekend!

Yup, I'd agree that DC through Boston you're fine. Here in Providence, I don't think anyone would bat an eyelash... I was at a restaurant here near Brown about a week ago and was struck by the thought that I was problem the only person in the place not in an interracial relationship... I felt so regressive!

- Garris

Providence, RI

HartfordTycoon seems to disagree with you on Boston.

HartfordTycoon seems to disagree with you on Boston.

That's a big misconception. Boston of the 1950's is a different story. You may as well say that their were still big pockets of neighborhood "pride" up to the 70's. However, we're talking about the liberal capital of the US.( NE, New York, and the upper mid-atlantic) If gay marriage is legal in MA, Ted Kennedy is a hero, and Hillary is recognized as the best thing since Geraldine Ferraro, you will not have an issue. I don't know where you're from, but the ethnic diversity across NE can't be beat anywhere in this country. ( with maybe S Florida being the only exception )Go for the gold !

That's a big misconception. Boston of the 1950's is a different story. You may as well say that their were still big pockets of neighborhood "pride" up to the 70's. However, we're talking about the liberal capital of the US.( NE, New York, and the upper mid-atlantic) If gay marriage is legal in MA, Ted Kennedy is a hero, and Hillary is recognized as the best thing since Geraldine Ferraro, you will not have an issue. I don't know where you're from, but the ethnic diversity across NE can't be beat anywhere in this country. ( with maybe S Florida being the only exception )Go for the gold !

I was only discussing my real experience while in Boston with an interracial couple. Like I said, it happened, but that's not to say that everyone in Boston acts like that.

This may have been an issue in some places 30 years ago, but unless you're talking Wyoming I don't think anybody thinks twice about interracial relationships. I think people are too distracted by gay couples now! haha.

There are some who still detest interracial relationships. Goto certain websites and view peoples comments on this.

I don't want a hyperlink to that site on UrbanPlanet, therefore I've removed it.

-Cotuit

Not a very good example Rwarky, its very bias.

I'd have to agree. My grandmother, while not a white supremacist, wouldn't like it if I or any one of her grandchildren dated a "colored" person. There are black people who feel the same way, unfortunately. That said, there's a (obvious) difference between traditionalists and extremists. Once the former die out of existence, that'll be about it for sane people opposing interracial relationships.

I'd have to agree. My grandmother, while not a white supremacist, wouldn't like it if I or any one of her grandchildren dated a "colored" person. There are black people who feel the same way, unfortunately. That said, there's a (obvious) difference between traditionalists and extremists. Once the former die out of existence, that'll be about it for sane people opposing interracial relationships.

But what you should understand is that, while your Grandmother may not be an extremist, she was the product of an extremist society. Her views are not only "traditional" but also reflect her being on one side of a very racist society, the same way that my grandparents views of whites are/where very different from my own. Basically all I'm saying is that at the time your Grandmother was young, the views held on Stormfront.org were widely held and also perpetuated by white society and white government (I only say white society and government because at the time us Blacks where not allowed to participate). You cant just excuse an old person's extreme views because they are old. They are still wrong and should be challanged about the views they have and may even begin to change if exposed to the correct environment. My Grandmother said a million times that she had absolutely no use for white people, due to her life experiences I can't really blame her. She did however learn to like some white people after giving them a chance later in life.

But what you should understand is that, while your Grandmother may not be an extremist, she was the product of an extremist society. Her views are not only "traditional" but also reflect her being on one side of a very racist society, the same way that my grandparents views of whites are/where very different from my own. Basically all I'm saying is that at the time your Grandmother was young, the views held on Stormfront.org were widely held and also perpetuated by white society and white government (I only say white society and government because at the time us Blacks where not allowed to participate). You can't just excuse an old person's extreme views because they are old. They are still wrong and should be challanged about the views they have and may even begin to change if exposed to the correct environment. My Grandmother said a million times that she had absolutely no use for white people, due to her life experiences I can't really blame her. She did however learn to like some white people after giving them a chance later in life.

I had a very long, well thought out reply involving nursury rhymes, Bill Cosby, and our dysfunctional cultures ready to be posted. Then, the hydro plant 1000 yards behind my house blew a few transformers and I lost power til now. You may have seen it on the news, there were choppers overhead. This is a very difficult issue to discuss. So I'll just say what I started my first paragraph with: you have a very valid and understandable point. Having said that, I hope to see the day when race isn't an issue.

My mother's cousin had a very strange relationship, he was dating a woman (who was black) who had a couple kids from a previous relationship. They never married, but he ended up getting custody of her kids (she had some issues). Then he met and married another woman (also black) and they had several kids together (he lives across the country and I don't see him much, so I don't know which kids are from which relationship, but he has 6, I know, crazy!).

Anyway, my great-grandmother (his grandmother) was talking to me about the kids one day, and she was talking about how this one was 'black as the ace of spades' and that one was 'a very pretty tan color, like a Puerto Rican.' Stuff you're just not supposed to say, but she didn't mean anything by any of it, that's just how her generation talked. She was describing the kids to me because I had never met them, and she was talking about how wonderful they were, and how much she loved them, and that they were her great-grandkids (even the ones that aren't related by blood). Though the way she talked would smack of racism, there wasn't anything racist about the conversation.

My mother's cousin had a very strange relationship, he was dating a woman (who was black) who had a couple kids from a previous relationship. They never married, but he ended up getting custody of her kids (she had some issues). Then he met and married another woman (also black) and they had several kids together (he lives across the country and I don't see him much, so I don't know which kids are from which relationship, but he has 6, I know, crazy!).

Anyway, my great-grandmother (his grandmother) was talking to me about the kids one day, and she was talking about how this one was 'black as the ace of spades' and that one was 'a very pretty tan color, like a Puerto Rican.' Stuff you're just not supposed to say, but she didn't mean anything by any of it, that's just how her generation talked. She was describing the kids to me because I had never met them, and she was talking about how wonderful they were, and how much she loved them, and that they were her great-grandkids (even the ones that aren't related by blood). Though the way she talked would smack of racism, there wasn't anything racist about the conversation.

Very valid points Cotuit. I thank you for sharing that, I find it very interesting. That's really a perspective I never even thought about.

i understand what hartfordtycoon was saying about boston. there are parts of it that are very conservative christian. as a whole, the city (and i'm talking boston proper, not the surrounding cities, like cambridge and somerville) feels very white. i can understand how an interracial couple would feel a bit unnerved there.

the sentiment against interracial couples is kind of funny. my fiancee told me that her mother basically said to her that if she felt she needed to date blacks, she could get it out of her system, but not to bring any home (as in, don't marry a black). her mother grew up in east haven, ct with very italian parents. my mother is 10 years younger and grew up in inner city new haven, in an italian neighborhood no less (my mom's polish). her parents both died when she was a kid. it's really amazing how beliefs and ideals can get passed down. my stepfather who is also about 10 years older than my mother used to be funny with the race thing. he grew up in branford, CT (a very white suburb of new haven, although it's now much more diversified). he used to say "good for them" whenever he saw an interracial couple or a minority win a game show on TV (we watched jeopardy and wheel of fortune all the time). he wasn't racist by any means, but it was obvious he had no real experience of being around blacks or hispanics.

but to answer the original question, probably anywhere in the northeast would be good. you're gonna run into people who are against it just about anywhere, especially in conservative neighborhoods, or even in some largely minority neighborhoods where some might be racist against whites.

Archived