Most accepting Southern & Southeastern cities/regions for interracial relationships?

Rwarky

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

General rule of thumb, the larger the population area, the wider the diversity, the more common you see this.

This is why Texarkana surprised the heck out of me. It's an area with only 60,000+ people in the 2 cities but it seems to be very open and receptive to many things that even Shreveport isn't quite as receptive to... and Shreveport has about 4 times the population. Of course race relations in Shreveport still suck. As long as politicians (both black and white) continue to bring race into every single discussion, the tension will never die down.

Fayetteville has seen a big change over since the mid 90s although it still has a ways to go.

By thw way... which Fayetteville are you talking about? Arkansas?

Since Metro Atlanta is dominated mostly by whites and blacks you could say that we've learned to tolerate and often resect eachother. The addition of Hispanics and Asians to the mix is making race relations a bit more difficult nowadays though.

I have seen a growing number of interracial couples including gay interracial couples in areas of Atlanta.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Eureka Springs, Arkansas has an article about its openness to the gay and lesbian community. They host "diversity weekends" every quarter of a year which are basically gay fests.

The gay population is estimated to be as much as 20%.

From the article:

Power of the lavender purse

[...] And now thousands of gay men, lesbians, transgender people and bisexuals congregate in Eureka for quarterly gay festivals. They are called Diversity Weekends and guests can choose from a dozen organized activities.

[...]

Most of the gay tourists here also feel free to act out as they promenade through Eureka’s historic district, holding hands, even stopping to kiss. Some come here from large cities like Tulsa, St. Louis, Memphis, and Dallas. But most are from small rural communities — like Connie Miller, from Manhattan, Kan. “It’s good to get away from the pressures of everyday life, meet up with friends and relax,” she said.

Local artisan Timothy Hilty watched the action from a bench in front of the New Orleans Hotel on downtown Spring Street.

“I have lived in Eureka Springs for 14 years and I think of this festival as the hick gay and lesbian pride weekend,” he said.

Article here: http://arktimes.com/Articles/ArticleViewer...29-1eb44853e328

Pictures of Eureka springs can be seen here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24781

Oh, and BTW, I'm interracial. My mom is Asian and my dad is white. I haven't had any problems with it anywhere I've lived. I look Native American, Asian, Hispanic, or white depending on who you ask.

Fayetteville, Arkansas and Little Rock, Arkansas are pretty progressive and open cities. Like someone mentioned earlier, most major metros are probably pretty open....

• 1 month later...

Thanks for clarifying. I figured it cold be either one.

Yeah the one in Arkansas as well. I can't speak for all of the cities but I'd have to agree with many of the others. I think in general all the larger cities and the college towns as well.

Archived