Ethnic neighborhoods in the Triad

SouthJersey7

So I was thinking, the Triad like most of the Southeast is growing with its immigrant populations. But what are the neighborhoods that newcomers are settling in? The only one I know of is the Waughtown area in Winston-Salem which had Mexican/Latin American businesses and restaurants. It's a shame cause it's kind of a run down area, I wish the city would invest a little in it. Of course the whole Triad has Mexican restaurants and other businesses, such as Western wear clothing stores which sell cowboy boots and other Southwestern apparel. The WS Journal had a little story about these popping up in the triad. So are there any other specific neighborhoods anyone knows of? Or is it pretty much just scattered throughout?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Alamance County where the hispanic population is over 10% the eithnic neighborhoods are East Burlington specifically Rauhut St, Bur-Gra, North Graham, Graham near Ivey Rd, Haw River, and Green Level especially. Probably East Webb ave is the most ethnic with many of the businesses such as grocers, resturants, clothing, insurance, and convenience serving the Latino populace. There are many empty store fronts from the past on east webb ave. If this area were to be fixed up it could be one of the more interesting ethnic neighborhoods in the Triad

I cant really think of any concentrated ethnic neighborhoods in Greensboro but I guess it depends on how you define ethnic. I know the neighborhoods the are prodominatly African-American tend to be just south of downtown, east and northeast side of the city. I never could figure out why its common in many cities that black people live on the east side of town and white people live on the west side of town.

I think the portion of West Market Street from Holden on out away from downtown going towards the airport is almost like an ethnic "restaurant row". I went to a Thai restaurant yesterday and in driving, I just never realized the concentration of ethnic restaurants in that area (hispanic, jamaican, thai, chinese, italian). Those are all in close proximity to the International Mall as well... I don't know about demographics in that area, but I always assumed middle upper class suburbia since that area is just south of Starmount.

I went to NW Guilford and I remember when we played Smith High School (near Four Seasons). The school was predominantly ethnic (african-american, african, asian, east indian, etc.), so I guess that area is pretty diverse.

SAVE BEN L. SMITH! that school does have a very diverse population. Parkland High here in Winston is the same way.

I forgot about Fanta City. that should be a nice ethnic area when it opens.

• 1 month later...

These aren't exactly the same type of business, one is Jamaican and the other is African, but they're both right across the street from each other (Lee St. in Greensboro) which is interesting. Could be a new enclave forming. The whole of Lee St. once you get east of the Coliseum, is just really blighted and dismal. I hope something genuine develops there!

136525227_c5a15d0a6e_o.jpg

136525228_ffc89b5616_o.jpg

Archived