Providence Moments...

Garris

I was listening to NPR's pledge drive this week, and they have what they describe as "Driveway Moments" when you are so riveted by what's on the radio that you just sit in your car and listen, even after you've reached your destination.

That lead me to thinking... What are your favorite "Providence Moments?" When you sit/walk/stand/drive somewhere and look around and say, "Boy this place is great!"

Certainly, the vista coming down Angell Street towards Thomas Street is one of them for me (and for many others). After I matched at Brown for my fellowship and came back to Providence after having not seen it for 4 years, I'll never forget how overwhelmed I was driving across the 195 bridge at the scene of the skyline, the great N.Main architecture, and all of the water everywhere.

I certainly have dozens of others.

What are your favorite "Providence Moments?"

- Garris

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My biggest butterfly moment is at the confluence of the rivers across the street from Citizens Plaza. It's like you're on a small island of isolation while the city bustles around you. The river is the only thing separating you from it in all directions. The rest of the entire riverwalk stir my sole, particularly Waterplace. There's also many places downcity and, of course, bustling Atwells. I also like the charm of Wickenden Street and many of the nooks and cranys of the East Side. While I love Providence's skyline views, it's the more intimate moments that give me pause. Providence has many of those places.

I love Prospect Park and the architecture around it. I make it a point to just walk around the area whenever the weather is nice.

Another fine spot is a waterfire night, sitting on the granite, cup o' wine in hand, at the southern most end the display.

Lastly, I spent many an evening after work sailing at Providence Community Boating. Truly a great place to watch the sun go down.

114_1481.jpg

Another fine spot is a waterfire night, sitting on the granite, cup o' wine in hand, at the southern most end the display.

The first time I brought my parents to Waterfire my mother said, "this is the way life should be." And she lives on Cape Cod which is supposedly an idyllic vacation paradise.

My Providence moment was the first time I took the RIPTA ferry from newport back to Providence. It was the last one of the day and we were stopped out in the harbor by the coast guard because an oil tanker was turning in the channel in order to dock off Allens Ave. The delay caused us to be approaching the city as a deep red sun was setting behind the Industrial National Trust building and my heart just melted at the view.

My butterfly moment came about 7 years ago - I was able to get out onto the outside balcony from the State House State Room; the room with the Gilbert Stuart painting of George Washington. It was great - standing on a beatiful white marble edifice and gazing out on downtown - unforgettable!

there's a great shot that i hope somebody with some photography skills will take --

from the cirlce at the financial district where weybosset and westminster meet, looking up exchange towards smith hill, framed tightly by the hospital trust tower on the right, and the small citizens building on the left. you get 3 of the 30-story cranes, with the masonic in the background

there's a great shot that i hope somebody with some photography skills will take --

from the cirlce at the financial district where weybosset and westminster meet, looking up exchange towards smith hill, framed tightly by the hospital trust tower on the right, and the small citizens building on the left. you get 3 of the 30-story cranes, with the masonic in the background

This one?

112515912_0181f62856_o.jpg

I took it at lunch time on a weekday so I basically ran into the street between traffic and snapped. It'd be nice to see Garris head down there on a Sunday when there's less traffic and show me what's what.

This one?

112515912_0181f62856_o.jpg

I took it at lunch time on a weekday so I basically ran into the street between traffic and snapped. It'd be nice to see Garris head down there on a Sunday when there's less traffic and show me what's what.

wow, you're fast. yeah, that's the one -- if getting run over weren't a danger, i'd maybe try to catch a little more of the buildings in the foreground, and have the photo oriented more vertically.

and the arm's up on that third crane now.

wow, you're fast. yeah, that's the one -- if getting run over weren't a danger, i'd maybe try to catch a little more of the buildings in the foreground, and have the photo oriented more vertically.

and the arm's up on that third crane now.

I took it last week, you can see that the second crane isn't topped off yet.

It might be better to take it from across the street, somewhere infront of the Textron Building, to get more of the foreground buildings in. I took it from the crosswalk infront of the Hospital Trust Building. Less risk of death by bus taking it from there too.

There's a small window of space where the composition works, one step to the left or the right and the allignment goes to hell and it's not a particualarly good image.

mine would have to be walking outside my office and looking towards downtown and seeing hte buildings on a beautiful day (similar to today)... or driving downtown at night when the feeling is right and the lights are lit up on the buildings... it's just nice. it's big but not... and small but not... it's just right. :wub:

i especially like driving into providence on the highway (generally from MA on 95 or 195, or coming down 146) at night and the lights on the buildings are changed for a special occasion...

of course once the leaves grow on the trees, my view of downtown will be gone... :(

My biggest butterfly moment is at the confluence of the rivers across the street from Citizens Plaza. It's like you're on a small island of isolation while the city bustles around you. The river is the only thing separating you from it in all directions. The rest of the entire riverwalk stir my sole, particularly Waterplace. There's also many places downcity and, of course, bustling Atwells. I also like the charm of Wickenden Street and many of the nooks and cranys of the East Side. While I love Providence's skyline views, it's the more intimate moments that give me pause. Providence has many of those places.

Hi all-

Well, from an outsider perspective for I have, for the last 5 years, come to the same general conclusion as KRC. Well said.

To add a bit - Waterfire, the bustle of a very urban city, Westminster St, Benefit Street, oh, as already said...so many places. The thing that strikes me is that Providence is getting better and has enormous more potential as it developments land of the industrial past.

Unless I have misread the economic indicators, Providence has a huge opportunity in a very short window of time to grow taller, add population, and gain some commerce at the expense of Boston. What a future!

I'm afraid I can't share my favorite Providence memory due to its graphic nature...

I ****** JoJo here?

Umm, so anyways, getting back on topic, my favorite Providence moments have to do with driving home from college. I went to school down South, which necessitated a lot of very loooooong drives back & forth between Rhode Island and Arkansas. I think I made the trip 15 or 16 times. I don't remember exactly, but I think each trip (one-way) was something like 1500 miles and 25 hours of driving (road time), usually split over two days. I had a friend with me many times, but I dropped her off in New York. From there, I took I-84 and, after Hartford, Rt. 6.

That last leg of the trip was always the toughest. If you've driven Rt. 6 before, you know what I mean. That has to be one of the most boring, and often depressing, roads in the world. And it only gets worse once you cross over into Rhode Island. After months & months away from home (in the deep South no less), not to mention after hours & hours of driving, that stretch is hell.

And then you reach glorious Johnson. You wouldn't believe how happy I've been to see Johnston. Not just once, either. Many times. And many times since, too. If you've been driving on Rt. 6, Johnston is a happy place. :lol:

From there, after a few more twists & turns, you burst into Providence. And that, to me, meant I was home. Five more minutes on the road, and I was pulling into my garage. That meant family, that meant real food, that meant rest, that meant my own bed, that meant friends, that meant everything. But it always started when I hit Providence. As if it weren't really real until I got to that point ...

And then you reach glorious Johnson. You wouldn't believe how happy I've been to see Johnston. Not just once, either. Many times. And many times since, too. If you've been driving on Rt. 6, Johnston is a happy place. :lol:

JOHNSTON IS A HAPPY PLACE?!?!?! :shok:

That last leg of the trip was always the toughest. If you've driven Rt. 6 before, you know what I mean. That has to be one of the most boring, and often depressing, roads in the world. And it only gets worse once you cross over into Rhode Island. After months & months away from home (in the deep South no less), not to mention after hours & hours of driving, that stretch is hell.

Maybe that's why a guy I know got caught by the state police doing 140mph down Rt 6. The tropper was livid. Can you say $ 700 :w00t:

Archived