Grand Rapids WiFi

twoshort

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not positive, but I'd lean toward most of them not being up any longer. Even at the peak of the wireless demonstration last summer only 7 out of the 13 vendors had working wifi anyway. I'm guessing that maybe one at the most is still running.

According to http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=3218, Wealthy Theatre and Kent County Fuller Campus may still be live. The web page was last updated in January 06

I drove through the nieghborhood on my way home. There was some signal, COOLCITYADC was the SSID, but the signal was pretty crappy, even right in front of the theatre...

Strange happenings on Sigsbee...........I could tell you all kinds of stories.

Ahh, well I guess I thought "Yikes" was a strange response for someone who works for a company so involved in neighborhood redevelopment one block away.. As someone looking to buy in the area you've certainly got me wondering what you mean by strange stories..

Ahh, well I guess I thought "Yikes" was a strange response for someone who works for a company so involved in neighborhood redevelopment one block away.. As someone looking to buy in the area you've certainly got me wondering what you mean by strange stories..

It's an area in need of some cleaning up. I had heard at one time that ICCF and Lighthouse were going to do a major overhaul through Sigsbee. Maybe they are waiting for Lighthouse to get Uptown Village going before it happens.

I think ICCF and Lighthouse are the two best developers to tackle such a project. It will help soften the displacement after development.......(not going to use the G word.....hate that word)

I had heard at one time that ICCF and Lighthouse were going to do a major overhaul through Sigsbee. Maybe they are waiting for Lighthouse to get Uptown Village going before it happens.

Between the new construction and the renovations, I'd say it's been started.

Here is an update on Sigsbee Street.

Yesterday, as a matter of fact we got our first communication from the State for our tax credit reservation for Uptown Village. We are having to re-structure our financing and construction package a bit right now. However, it is all good news. Ultimately we have been awarded a $3.5 million tax credit from the State. It still appears as though the project will break ground sometime early summer.

Uptown Village includes the car lot on Wealthy and all of the residential properties (5) behind the car lot. It totals 1 Acre.

We hope to take ownership of 846 & 847 Sigsbee within the next 2 months. 847 Sigsbee will receive a substantial renovation, 846 Sigsbee will be razed and ICCF will build a new home there.

Twoshort sent me an IM pointing out this thread. What is ironic about this is that as I got the IM I am in negotiations on 4 additional Sigsbee Properties.

My future son-in-law also lives on Sigsbee between Fuller and Eastern...after they are married in July my daughter will be there as well.

I also know that Renaissance Construction has also had much interest in their new homes, of which 2 are on Sigsbee.

All in all, there is a lot of incredible stuff happening on Sigsbee. In 2 years one will not be able to recognize the place.

twoshort,

Sigsbee is a great street, its no different than any other street in the area. By increasing home ownership in the area, we decrease issues you find on streets where there is a large amount of absentee landlords. By having a mix of owner-occupied and rental housing, its easier to build pride on your block. For example, if you were renting an apartment in a house where the owner put a lot of work in the house and lived in the other apartment, you would be less likely to throw trash on the street because you would have pride or could connect the pride others have for the street.

Hit me up next time your rolling down Sigsbee. I definitely would look at homes on Sigsbee, its one block south of Wealthy, you'd be right in the mix of things.

It will be a while before we can put out the "strange stories" comments. People's perception is their reality and it doesn't help that whenever a bad thing happens in the southeast side, the local media broadcasts it all over. The southeast side is a large section of this city. Crime happens everywhere; I feel safe on my street because I took the time to build friendships with my neighbors. You know us Fountain Street beotches look out for one another....

Inner city pride,

Rachel

twoshort,

Sigsbee is a great street, its no different than any other street in the area. By increasing home ownership in the area, we decrease issues you find on streets where there is a large amount of absentee landlords. By having a mix of owner-occupied and rental housing, its easier to build pride on your block. For example, if you were renting an apartment in a house where the owner put a lot of work in the house and lived in the other apartment, you would be less likely to throw trash on the street because you would have pride or could connect the pride others have for the street.

Hit me up next time your rolling down Sigsbee. I definitely would look at homes on Sigsbee, its one block south of Wealthy, you'd be right in the mix of things.

It will be a while before we can put out the "strange stories" comments. People's perception is their reality and it doesn't help that whenever a bad thing happens in the southeast side, the local media broadcasts it all over. The southeast side is a large section of this city. Crime happens everywhere; I feel safe on my street because I took the time to build friendships with my neighbors. You know us Fountain Street beotches look out for one another....

Inner city pride,

Rachel

Rachel, it won't be long and twoshort will be rolling down Sigsbee a lot as he and his new brode bought a house there! Way to go twoshort.

Rachel, it won't be long and twoshort will be rolling down Sigsbee a lot as he and his new bride bought a house there! Way to go twoshort.

Yeah, I just said that I was 'looking to buy' because I was hoping Nitro would give me some good stories. But, on second thought, my fiance reads this on occasion -- so he can keep them to himself. :P

Barring any financing issues, we'll be calling Sigsbee home after the wedding.. As GridGirl said: "Inner city pride"

Archived