Wesley Heights

The new law school is having its student reception there next week at the Wadsworth House (but they have yet to announce their location), so I looked it up to see where it is.

It seems to be a nice, old neighborhood in the midst of a revitalization. Thoughts? Could it be the next NoDa or Plaza-Midwood? Its proximity to uptown is great.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the map of the designated historic district in Wesley Heights:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...tricts/Home.htm

I considered it in my house search earlier this year... here are my impressions:

+ The style of architecture is similar to that of Elizabeth and the houses are of realistic scale - streets also have great tree cover.

+ Close to downtown

+ Lots of new construction/townhome projects

- Limited to nonexistent walkable food/grocery options currently, though this will improve with the redevelopment of the Morehead area in 5 years.

- Prices are already Midwood like, meaning more expensive than the average homebuyer can afford.

- Will not be directly served by the Center City streetcar routes (I think, haven't seen the plans in a while) or light rail.

It was disqualified both on walkability and price in my decision matrix.

I was under the impression the streetcar down W. Trade would pass by Wesley Heights.

The downside of Wesley Heights for me is as MZT mentioned, the good part is right on I-77 and I really don't care to listen to traffic all day and night. It also backs up to an area that has a pretty significant crime problem. I know a couple of people that flip houses over there and they say they are constantly getting stuff stolen from their homes, and even their cars have been stolen more than once Gunfire on saturday nights is not uncommon. Pop Pop Pop Pop Pop Pop :shok:

It could be a good investment, but I really would not want to live there. I think that a lot of the investment value has been wrung out of those houses however and what remains isn't as good. Also, almost every house that my friends doing the flipping has has had termite damage, and a lot of out of code work that is expensive to fix.

Yeah the neighborhood behind it is the highest-crime neighborhood in the city

I am curious..what's the neighborhood behind it ? Seversville ?

I wanted to check out the crime stats but can't figure out how the areas are broken down. Can anyone help ?

Archived