Shreveport's "lower 9th ward?"

At least these homes are being built on higher ground than the lower 9th, but do they really think building new homes in Allendale is a smart idea? I suppose it's better than nothing for these people who lost everything, but still... Allendale? There are low-income neighborhoods in Bossier that are 10 times safer than the low-income neighborhoods of downtown Shreveport. You might as well give these folks a safer "fresh start." Personally I'd rather be homeless in the CBD than live in a shotgun house in Allendale.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/603230319

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least these homes are being built on higher ground than the lower 9th, but do they really think building new homes in Allendale is a smart idea? I suppose it's better than nothing for these people who lost everything, but still... Allendale? There are low-income neighborhoods in Bossier that are 10 times safer than the low-income neighborhoods of downtown Shreveport. You might as well give these folks a safer "fresh start." Personally I'd rather be homeless in the CBD than live in a shotgun house in Allendale.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/603230319

I meant to post this under "Shreveport/Bossier Development." NCB can you move it to that thread for me?

• 1 month later...

With the demolition of Jackson Heights and the small redevelopment in Allendale post Katrina, it could mean a small revitilization for that area. I personally would rather see that than demolition of the inner city, a la Detroit. Either that, or redeveloping those areas into industrial parks, which might be a better idea as the whole north of I20 corridor probably will never come back to being a decent area.

They do plan on redeveloping the Jackson Heights area after demolition if I remember correctly. I thought I read it will be low income housing, but with significantly less density than Jackson Heights, which could make for a better quality of life in that area, with hopefully less crime.

With the demolition of Jackson Heights and the small redevelopment in Allendale post Katrina, it could mean a small revitilization for that area. I personally would rather see that than demolition of the inner city, a la Detroit. Either that, or redeveloping those areas into industrial parks, which might be a better idea as the whole north of I20 corridor probably will never come back to being a decent area.

They do plan on redeveloping the Jackson Heights area after demolition if I remember correctly. I thought I read it will be low income housing, but with significantly less density than Jackson Heights, which could make for a better quality of life in that area, with hopefully less crime.

Thanks for your insight on this subject.

I drove through Allendale the other day to see what has become of Jackson Heights to this point. As I drove through there, I saw that the demo has begun and I made it a point to stop and take a few photos of the demo.

I do recall hearing of a plan to redevelop that area, and in my opinion, less density is key over there. Hopefully whatever they build in its place will attract younger families who are just starting out, thus creating something that particular area isn't used to and upping the ante for the rest of the surrounding area. Anything to improve the quality of life in such a blighted area is going to be a huge step in the right direction.

Archived