So, Whats the Value of a Street Tree?

eltron

A truly horrifying event that I would appreciate any help and suggestions with:

Yesterday, around 1pm, a Sysco truck turned right off of Vinton Street onto Federal, took down the street tree adjacent to my house, paused for a grand total of 5 seconds, then continued on his way. I witnessed this all from my kitchen window, as I happened to be home for lunch to take my dog for a walk. By the time I got outside, the dude was well down the street.

I called the City Forrester's office, hoping they could save it, and they sent someone out right away, but when I got home all that remained was a stump and a very broken sidewalk.

I am beyond livid!!!

This is one of about 3 or 4 trees on an entire 3 block stretch of Federal Street. By itself, it was not an important tree...but considering it was one of just a few trees in the area, it was hugely significant, particularly to me.

Its crap like this that really keeps this town down. No wonder our neighborhood infrastructure is in such complete disrepair...either way, I intend to make Sysco contribute somehow to fixing this.

Jen Cole, help me!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eltron- A similar incident happened about a month ago on Grove St. Someone took out one of the most mature trees on the block (which isn't saying much, since there are only 3 or 4 other trees, and only one of those is bigger than 2" around). The residents of the house obviously took care of the tree (an ornamental Cherry) and the tree pit for several years, and now it's just an empty pit. It wasn't even on a corner, so I have no idea what feat of reckless driving could have hit it hard enough to uproot it.

Sometimes it feels like Federal Hill will always be covered in trash and pavement.

Hope you're successful in making Sysco pay for the damage they caused- things are never going to change if people think they can keep treating Providence neighborhoods like crap.

A truly horrifying event that I would appreciate any help and suggestions with:

Its crap like this that really keeps this town down. No wonder our neighborhood infrastructure is in such complete disrepair...either way, I intend to make Sysco contribute somehow to fixing this.

Jen Cole, help me!

Hey, ok, so i witnessed a stop and shop truck hit a tree on Broadway a few years ago and i wrote a letter and called the stop and shop headquarters (located in MA somewhere) and sent them the language in the ordinance about it being illegal to damage city property (namely a street tree) and took a picture of the other trees on broadway to show its size) and i told them that based on the caliper of the tree, and the sweat equity of the neighbors to plant it, it would cost $500 for them to replace it. after they argued with me for a few days by saying they never had a driver in the area (he was lost) I eventually got a check for $500 and replaced the tree and two others with the $ the program had received. So, i'd call where ever the Sysco headquarters is and complain and also mention that Vinton Street is not a commercial truck route and it had no business being on Vinton to begin with. Forestry can tell you the caliper of that tree, and you can use them as "back up" when you're harassing someone in the Sysco front office.

You might want to file a police report though so its on record.

The deadline for street tree applications is June 1 if you want to submit a new app for Vinton, although we've not had very much luck with folks being interested over there in the past, unfortunately. :(

The deadline for street tree applications is June 1 if you want to submit a new app for Vinton, although we've not had very much luck with folks being interested over there in the past, unfortunately. :(

What are the neighborhood requirements for street trees?

Atwells Ave's other hill wants trees!

eltron- A similar incident happened about a month ago on Grove St. Someone took out one of the most mature trees on the block (which isn't saying much, since there are only 3 or 4 other trees, and only one of those is bigger than 2" around). The residents of the house obviously took care of the tree (an ornamental Cherry) and the tree pit for several years, and now it's just an empty pit. It wasn't even on a corner, so I have no idea what feat of reckless driving could have hit it hard enough to uproot it.

Sometimes it feels like Federal Hill will always be covered in trash and pavement.

Hope you're successful in making Sysco pay for the damage they caused- things are never going to change if people think they can keep treating Providence neighborhoods like crap.

Just piping in to share my story - A couple years ago I heard tires screeching and looked out the window to see a corolla hop the curb and take out one of the tress next to my house, then pull a Uturn, get back on the sidewalk, and purposely mow down another one. I called the cops with a description of the car (I wasnt able to get the plate) but they didnt seem interested since no one was hurt and they didnt hit any cars. I was VERY angry.

What are the neighborhood requirements for street trees?

Atwells Ave's other hill wants trees!

you need at least 5 households involved and be requesting at least 5 trees although we encourage you to ask for as many trees as your neighborhood can possibly care for, you have to be willing to help plant the trees and care for them (water and mulch). You can get more info here. It is not the most complete website in the world but its not bad for a one person organization. If you'd like an application PM me with an email address as i've recently revamped the app and have not yet uploaded it to the site.

• 2 months later...

So if anyone is interested, the answer to the question is 3 new trees or 900$!

After a dozen phone calls to Houston and some regional headquarters in MA, as well as the Forestry Dept., the tree hit by the SYSCO truck is finally being taken care of.

Luckily, the guy actually did report it to someone in his company, so they sort of knew what I was talking about when I finally got to the right person. The City has an ordinance that calls for one new tree for every three inches diameter of damaged tree, or $300 dollars per three inches. SO, my little neck of the neighborhood will be getting three new trees, courtesy of SYSCO.

Persistance pays!

good work!.. and jen, you say if 5 household request 5 trees in any city in R.I. that it can be done as long as we are willing to be the 'caretakers'?

I'd really like to learn more about this.. I think I could make it happen in my neighborhood if that was the case.

When I lived on Gano St. (10+ years ago) I saw some trees fall victim to drunk club goers (the Dunkin Donuts spot was home to a number of dance clubs over the years). Drunk people leaving the place were always backing over saplings and snapping off limps. One time a soccer player was peeling out of the field on Gano and somehow his car ended up literally on top of a young tree. Miraculously his car sustained more damage than the tree. These were all trees I had planted with my neighbors through the Sharpe tree program (I think it was called).

An occasional Sysco 18 wheeler would come down Power Street to turn right on Gano and do considerable damage to the mature trees in the little park.

I wish I had been as smart as eltron and had done something about it. That is an awesome story.

So if anyone is interested, the answer to the question is 3 new trees or 900$!

After a dozen phone calls to Houston and some regional headquarters in MA, as well as the Forestry Dept., the tree hit by the SYSCO truck is finally being taken care of.

Luckily, the guy actually did report it to someone in his company, so they sort of knew what I was talking about when I finally got to the right person. The City has an ordinance that calls for one new tree for every three inches diameter of damaged tree, or $300 dollars per three inches. SO, my little neck of the neighborhood will be getting three new trees, courtesy of SYSCO.

Persistance pays!

Good work my friend. It is true that sometimes all it takes is wearing them down before they wear you down.

the tree lady

I'd really like to learn more about this.. I think I could make it happen in my neighborhood if that was the case.

dude you know all about the program--it is mine! Goofus. You just need to find someone to leave 1.5 million dollars in trust for a street tree endowment.

good work!.. and jen, you say if 5 household request 5 trees in any city in R.I. that it can be done as long as we are willing to be the 'caretakers'?

nope. any neighborhood in PVD. No any city in RI, unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

a former student worker of mine who happens to own some houses in the elmhurst area was trying to get some neighborhood people to sign onto getting new street trees planted. none were interested. he said he and his buddies would do all the work watering them, but no one really cared. it would've helped make the neighborhood look a lot nicer....

a former student worker of mine who happens to own some houses in the elmhurst area was trying to get some neighborhood people to sign onto getting new street trees planted. none were interested. he said he and his buddies would do all the work watering them, but no one really cared. it would've helped make the neighborhood look a lot nicer....

huh. i bet i got that app and now i know that the neighborhood really doesn't want them. becareful what you say online!

:lol:

huh. i bet i got that app and now i know that the neighborhood really doesn't want them. becareful what you say online!

:lol:

the neighborhood needs them... i live around the corner from there. please please please let them get the trees!!! they'll be in good care because i know the guy who applied for them.

the neighborhood needs them... i live around the corner from there. please please please let them get the trees!!! they'll be in good care because i know the guy who applied for them.

that's not how this program works. The neighbors have to be involved in the planting of trees. They have to be involved in the caring for the trees. It is a community building reforestation process. the best applications, which get funded, are the ones where the entire block is really freaking PSYCHED about about getting trees. I explained this to your friend on the phone yesterday, actually. every six months we get about 500 requests for street trees, and we have about 175 trees to give out.

I would love to be able to plant trees every place where trees are needed, but i don't have that kind of budget so we do it this way instead, to ensure a higher probability of success with the trees we do plant. I cannot afford to replace trees that die because no one at that address really wanted in the first place.... :cry:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived