So, Whats the Value of a Street Tree?

eltron

Hi guys...I just woke up a little while ago to the landlord next door asking me to move my car. ( I work 2nd shift and sleep till @9 ususally.) As I'm pulling out the driveway, I see a Northeastern Tree Service truck pulling in. They are now cutting the last tree down on the street. Although it was a small vacant lot, it would have made an excellent spot to put a bench and made a memorial. I used to pick up trash here but never knew who owned it. Hell, I don't even know if this guy owns it or even has a permit. What I would imagine is more parking, parking, parking!!!....so he must own it....After waking up and shaking the grogginess, I looked for him to question him and he was gone....If this is the case(parking), we really need to do something. I really think this has to do with the overnight parking ban. It's definitely worn its welcome. With more density, people will be pressed to turn whatever green patch, tree, or brush into parking spots. This is a huge issue and is destroying the city. This block is disgusting to even look at....

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys...I just woke up a little while ago to the landlord next door asking me to move my car. ( I work 2nd shift and sleep till @9 ususally.) As I'm pulling out the driveway, I see a Northeastern Tree Service truck pulling in. They are now cutting the last tree down on the street. Although it was a small vacant lot, it would have made an excellent spot to put a bench and made a memorial. I used to pick up trash here but never knew who owned it. Hell, I don't even know if this guy owns it or even has a permit. What I would imagine is more parking, parking, parking!!!....so he must own it....After waking up and shaking the grogginess, I looked for him to question him and he was gone....If this is the case(parking), we really need to do something. I really think this has to do with the overnight parking ban. It's definitely worn its welcome. With more density, people will be pressed to turn whatever green patch, tree, or brush into parking spots. This is a huge issue and is destroying the city. This block is disgusting to even look at....

if the vacant lot is turned into parking you can definately complain. It would be a zoning violation for an R zone to become a C zone for parking. How big of a tree was it? if it was of a certain size and has a stump still in the yard, you can call the city forester to come out and measure it, and the landowner can be fined and required to either replant on site or plant street trees. There are ordinances that govern the canopy cover of private lots; you actually cannot clear cut your lot in Providence.

if the vacant lot is turned into parking you can definately complain. It would be a zoning violation for an R zone to become a C zone for parking. How big of a tree was it? if it was of a certain size and has a stump still in the yard, you can call the city forester to come out and measure it, and the landowner can be fined and required to either replant on site or plant street trees. There are ordinances that govern the canopy cover of private lots; you actually cannot clear cut your lot in Providence.

Do they have an enforcement mechanism now? About a year and a half ago my former neighbor sold the lot between us to a developer who cut down two substantial trees to make room for a house. I checked the code of ordinances and discovered the bit about permitting. However, when I talked with the city forester he essentially told me that there was no penalty in place for people who failed to get the permit.

Do they have an enforcement mechanism now? About a year and a half ago my former neighbor sold the lot between us to a developer who cut down two substantial trees to make room for a house. I checked the code of ordinances and discovered the bit about permitting. However, when I talked with the city forester he essentially told me that there was no penalty in place for people who failed to get the permit.

why require a permit if there's no penalty for not getting one? :blink:

The lot is small. It looked like there was a garage at one time there. The tree was huge and taller than the 3-family I live in....I'm so pissed. I never thought I would get this attitude ( esp. after mocking Eltron) but this is ridiculous. The tree is almost completely gone and there is no shade....I can view half the neighborhood now from my window....zero privacy and I'' be stuck with this parking clusterfVk....

well, you can call the inspection of inspections and standards and see if a permit has been pulled for any kind of construction of any kind of that lot. The forester has been able to get trees replanted on commercial lots now for a few months. I'm not sure where he is with residental lots. The building dept would be the best place right now to call...find out if there are plans for that lot.

The lot is small. It looked like there was a garage at one time there. The tree was huge and taller than the 3-family I live in....I'm so pissed. I never thought I would get this attitude ( esp. after mocking Eltron) but this is ridiculous. The tree is almost completely gone and there is no shade....I can view half the neighborhood now from my window....zero privacy and I'' be stuck with this parking clusterfVk....

sounds like it was a significant tree. I'd call the forester.

You know, it could be argued that the overnight onstreet parking ban is the single most detrimental thing to Providence's urbanness right now. It really pisses me off.

i agree... i hate that there's so many lots that have been turned into dirt parking lots behind houses or sometimes paved over.

Instead of parking, you may be getting another neighbor. I am not sure exactly where you are but new housing is being built on formerly vacant lots/yards all over Elmhurst and the North End, even as the market slows.

Instead of parking, you may be getting another neighbor. I am not sure exactly where you are but new housing is being built on formerly vacant lots/yards all over Elmhurst and the North End, even as the market slows.

There really is no room for a house on that lot. It looks like it was a former garage.

sounds like it was a significant tree. I'd call the forester.

Ok...so I called the city forester( Mark?) and left a message with my return number. The staff that picked up the phone were incredibly attentive and listened to my concerns and went over the normal process with me. Wow! You can tell I was surprised. I haven't had to call city government since the Cianci days....Let's see if he calls back...keep you updated

Ok...so I called the city forester( Mark?) and left a message with my return number. The staff that picked up the phone were incredibly attentive and listened to my concerns and went over the normal process with me. Wow! You can tell I was surprised. I haven't had to call city government since the Cianci days....Let's see if he calls back...keep you updated

hm. The city forester's name is Doug. Maybe you talked to Tom: the tree inspector?

Ok...now I'm really shocked. Doug Still? called me back and is driving out to this location to take measurements. He said there is an ordinance that protects trees gretaer than 32" in diameter from being felled. If the landlord is guilty, he will be fined and ordered to re-plant. I feel like going outside with a tape measure in my bathrobe like the crazy neighbor.....all joking aside...this has got to stop!

Ok...now I'm really shocked. Doug Still? called me back and is driving out to this location to take measurements. He said there is an ordinance that protects trees gretaer than 32" in diameter from being felled. If the landlord is guilty, he will be fined and ordered to re-plant. I feel like going outside with a tape measure in my bathrobe like the crazy neighbor.....all joking aside...this has got to stop!

oh ye of little faith.

oh, and I Told You So.

You know, it could be argued that the overnight onstreet parking ban is the single most detrimental thing to Providence's urbanness right now. It really pisses me off.

I think the ban is idiotic. (Right now, I'm trying to sell my pickup truck, which I wish I could keep, because the apartment we're going to rent does not have enough parking to allow me to keep it.) When I lived in Worcester, they had a one-side parking ban for snow removal -- and Boston has resident-permit in some areas. Both of these systems seemed to work fine when I lived there. Why does PVD insist on the draconian ban on overnight parking?

Urb

HA! Thanks, dude...

Welcome to the party...

Doug called me from a 718 NY number @ 3Pm and left me a message.....needless to say I didn't P/U because I didn't recognize the #. He said there was nothing he could do because the actual tree stump had 2 huge branches out of the stump and the tree co. did not cut it off at the base. They cut above the spot where the 2 huge branches split....so although the 2 totaled >32", they measured them separately.....I was disappointed as hell! You cannot imagine how terribly different and ugly it now looks.

Doug called me from a 718 NY number @ 3Pm and left me a message.....needless to say I didn't P/U because I didn't recognize the #. He said there was nothing he could do because the actual tree stump had 2 huge branches out of the stump and the tree co. did not cut it off at the base. They cut above the spot where the 2 huge branches split....so although the 2 totaled >32", they measured them separately.....I was disappointed as hell! You cannot imagine how terribly different and ugly it now looks.

why don't you organize a street tree planting? That's a start. Also you can totally dog this guy with whatever he's doing with that lot. there's always satisfaction in being a tattletail.

Is Jen (or anyone else) knowledgeable of tree health? When we got back from vacation we found the crab apple tree out front (planted as part of a street planting project 3 years ago) to have weird orange/brown spots on most all the leaves. Growing out of the spots on the bottom of each leaf are these weird hair like things. Its really odd. Any ideas?

Is Jen (or anyone else) knowledgeable of tree health? When we got back from vacation we found the crab apple tree out front (planted as part of a street planting project 3 years ago) to have weird orange/brown spots on most all the leaves. Growing out of the spots on the bottom of each leaf are these weird hair like things. Its really odd. Any ideas?

My parent's crabapple tree has had those since as far back as I can remember...

yeah, it sounds like crab rust or crab blight or something like that. It is no big deal but you should probably get some of those fert. spikes or some organic fertilizer and make sure your tree is well watered. If it still continues to look yucky PM me and i'll send the tree inspector out.

speaking of trees, Eltron- yours looks anemic. It shouldn't be losing its leaves this soon.

yeah, it sounds like crab rust or crab blight or something like that. It is no big deal but you should probably get some of those fert. spikes or some organic fertilizer and make sure your tree is well watered. If it still continues to look yucky PM me and i'll send the tree inspector out.

speaking of trees, Eltron- yours looks anemic. It shouldn't be losing its leaves this soon.

yeah, I know...I have to call Doug Still and have him come out. Its been pretty rough since it went in...I thought it would hold on, but not looking like it will, though some leaves started coming back at the bottom. I has a pretty long crack in the trunk that I think has been there since the beginning.

When the city puts trees in, do they contract that out, or do it themselves?

Archived