So, Whats the Value of a Street Tree?

eltron

if you were on blackstone blvd you wouldn't think there was a shortage here either.

i looked up some info on the urban forest in Philadelphia and as of 2003 the Delaware Valley fell short of the recommended canopy cover and while tree replanting was happening, there are a number of reasons why it is very difficult to bring the urban forest up to "code" so to speak, including growth...

here's the article:

American Forests Article.

ps. what is it with cheesesteak? Yuck!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished a 6 week class from the RI Tree Council about tree stewardship. It was awesome, I highly recommend attending to anyone even a little interested in trees, their health, their contribution to our land uses, or their beauty. The session I took was in Westerly, but they said it moves around the state. Six night classes and two field days (planting, pruning, identifying, etc). I can't even walk through my neighborhood anymore without noticing all the things I learned in the class.

Here's the website, keep an eye on it for the next class if you're interested. It was definitely worth it!

I just finished a 6 week class from the RI Tree Council about tree stewardship. It was awesome, I highly recommend attending to anyone even a little interested in trees, their health, their contribution to our land uses, or their beauty. The session I took was in Westerly, but they said it moves around the state. Six night classes and two field days (planting, pruning, identifying, etc). I can't even walk through my neighborhood anymore without noticing all the things I learned in the class.

Here's the website, keep an eye on it for the next class if you're interested. It was definitely worth it!

So the large older dying street tree in front of our house just lost a huge limb breaking a window and putting several dents in my beloved automobile. Awesome. I have been trying to get this damn thing taken down for over a year now. Surprisingly when I called the Forestry line I actuallly got someone to answer for the first time ever and they said they would have someone here today to clear the limb and take down the tree. I'm totally pissed about my car though, just because I have been trying to get it taken care of for so long. Bah!

So the large older dying street tree in front of our house just lost a huge limb breaking a window and putting several dents in my beloved automobile. Awesome. I have been trying to get this damn thing taken down for over a year now. Surprisingly when I called the Forestry line I actuallly got someone to answer for the first time ever and they said they would have someone here today to clear the limb and take down the tree. I'm totally pissed about my car though, just because I have been trying to get it taken care of for so long. Bah!

Well the police and DPW are gone leaving just our poor crushed little crabapple tree behind. Im really bummed because Owen helped me plant it when he was 2 and its always been "his" tree. Anyone know who to talk to to get a replacement street tree? ;-)

it is not difficult nor impossible but it is the wrong time of the year. Luckily, Liam and Owen know this glorious and quite sassy and other worldly superheroine who, like an urban forestry Santa, brings trees to all the deserving boys and girls of Providence (and makes them plant the tree themselves) but last saturday was St. Arboratoria's last holiday visit so you guys will have to wait til spring, i'm afraid. St. Arbortoria is officially out of trees.

it is not difficult nor impossible but it is the wrong time of the year. Luckily, Liam and Owen know this glorious and quite sassy and other worldly superheroine who, like an urban forestry Santa, brings trees to all the deserving boys and girls of Providence (and makes them plant the tree themselves) but last saturday was St. Arboratoria's last holiday visit so you guys will have to wait til spring, i'm afraid. St. Arbortoria is officially out of trees.

• 4 weeks later...

The deadline for the Providence Neighborhood Planting Program's Street Tree Application is (postmarked) December 1, 2006 for plantings in April of 2007.

Is your street looking a little bare these days? Wondering how you can get some green to cover all that asphalt and sidewalk? Apply for street trees for your neighborhood! Walk your street and knock on the doors of those houses that need street trees and get your neighbors involved! Street trees add value to neighborhoods by shading the street and keeping houses cooler in the summer, by acting as natural traffic calming, by increasing property values and by cleaning the air we breathe. Contrary to recent rumors, trees do not make poor people poorer, nor do they truly serve as hiding places for drug dealers, theives and perverts.

Almost 6000 Providence Street Trees have been planted through Neighborhood Planting Program, a private organization which award groups of Providence residents with 5-20 trees on their street, providing they participate in the planting and take on the responsibility of the young trees

Archived