UCF Knights Football

Chemmie

The dirt is finally moving on the sire of the new UCF Football Stadium which (according to rumors) will have naming rights purchased by Brighthouse. This thread will contain pictures and discussion of the new stadium and new arena which is currently under construction.

Here are renderings of the two buildings...

rendering2.jpg

16918717.jpg

Here's the current construction of the new Arena, with two new dorms under construction in the background.

DSCN1129%20(Resized).JPG

In other UCF news:

The vote on UCF's Medical School should be today and a new Softball Stadium was just completed.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great thread. UCF really needed a new arena and the citrus bowl is pretty rough. Glad this is happening. Their is a big vote this afternoon about UCF getting a Med school. That would be dynamite for central florida. Job creator...all citizens would benefit from better health care...IMO

Glad to see that UCF is making great strides towards becoming a very respectable school. It used to be top notch in the 60's when it was FIT (Florida Institute of Technology) and focused on the technological curriculum primarily working with NASA and the cape contractors. Then it became UCF and broadened it's curriculum to other areas. It didn't have very strong programs during the 80's but started to slowly make a name for itself in the 90's in Computer Science and Research. Lately they are on a tear,in several departments, even with their athletic departments. Not only will they be one of the largest universities in the country, but my guess is also one of the best in several majors. If they get a Medical School and eventually a Law School.....WOW! Alot of companies will be eyeing Central Florida.

Orlando should be proud of UCF and their Research Park!!! GO UCF!!!

that new dorm is huge.

There's one that is already finished, another is almost finished and those two that are in the picture. I think there is plans for one more in the same area.

This entire area of the campus is going to be amazing once everything is built. Darden is putting in an Olive Garden and a Smokey Bones, there are several other places to eat going in (Outback, a sports bar, smaller places), a Ron Jon's Surf Shop...

With all of this growth, UCF is going to end up being one of the most sought after Universities in the country. I wonder if they'll ever get any studying done...

that new dorm is huge.

Just wait until they finish painting it to match the completed one. Those dorms are some of the most embarassingly tacky structures I've ever seen... I'm truly ashamed at how hideous the completed ones have turned out...

Embarassing exterior aside, however, as far as on-campus housing goes, the INSIDE of the dorms are top-notch. They're definately an asset to the university... I've never seen campus housing this nice... maid service, separate bedrooms and bathrooms, etc... It's funny to see how much on-campus housing across the country has progressed in just 7 years since I started college...

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the maid service may only be for the new Rosen dorms... these are still quite fancy for "dorms" though...

It was FTU ... Florida Technological University. FIT is in Melbourne still.

signed,

FTUKnight

I think they should consider changing the name back to FTU or Florida Tech (Florida Technological University).....it gives it more significance than UCF. Just like Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Cal Tech are great schools....why not Florida Tech! (including now Medical!)

What do you think?

Personally I like University of Central Florida better. Granted, all the schools listed below are great schools, but UCF has become a great school under the name UCF. It's earned the right to be proud of it's name.

To me, it sounds more grand-scale, I guess.

This med school thing is definatley cool. We NEED a law school there, seriously!!!

And the Football stadium - now what needs to happen is that we get good enough in football to be in the top 10 for a while and we're set!!

I think they should consider changing the name back to FTU or Florida Tech (Florida Technological University).....it gives it more significance than UCF. Just like Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Cal Tech are great schools....why not Florida Tech! (including now Medical!)

What do you think?

I kinda liked University of Florida at Orlando ... UFO just has a ring to it. :whistling:

I don't like the stadium design. I think they need to build big right now, at least the E and W stands, in prep. for closing the bowl 10-15 years later.

THats what FSU and UF did. they were thinking "big."

that's why I didn't want them to leave the Citrus Bowl.

So, what are they going to do with the old arena?

I wanna say they're keeping it for volleyball??? but I'm not sure. Whatever they use it for, I hope they refinish the outside to match the rest of the new buildings around it. (Even though I hate the color scheme)

So, what are they going to do with the old arena?

It's staying, behind the new arena. I think they are going to reface the whole thing, though I am not sure about that. Some of it will be converted into offices for sports personel, and the arena will still be used for practices and vollyball, much like the real old UCF gym is used today.

For those who don't know, the plan is that the current Football practice fields are being moved over, pretty much right next to where they are now. The site for the new practice fields is moving dirt around. One of the old Coaches Towers has been taken down and is about to be put up where the new practice fields will be. The fence around the practice fields is down and the light poles will be coming down on Monday.

That's almost it for moving the practice fields. I suspect within the next two weeks we will be seeing ground breaking (prep work) on the site for the stadium.

Even though it's going to be a smaller, mostly steel, stadium, this is going be fun to watch something of this magnitude go up.

Well, at least fun for me, being a huge Knights fan.

• 4 weeks later...

Biz Journal article:

37642-400-0.jpg

Views of the adjoining retail construction site, by the corner of Knight and Gemini avenues

A center of retail on campus

New UCF convocation facility, mixed-use complex luring top retailers.

Orlando Business Journal - April 14, 2006

ORLANDO -- Retailers are lining up to be part of the University of Central Florida's on-campus shopping strip that will be attached to the new 10,000-seat convocation center under construction.

Orlando Business Journal link

I'm a Gator. This is impressive. Reitz Union has retail inside it and the new addition, but not like this. Also, in Gainesville, the campus' north face faces University. Across the street is all the retail you would need-- I don't know if UF owns many parcels on that side of the street, though.

Orlando is a stranger animal, b/c Alafaya is a pedestrian killer; its way wider and "faster" than Univ. in Gainesville, so this type of retail almost has to be on-campus at UCF for it to work. Crossing the street on foot just isn't realistic at UCF.

Two different animals; but that's the nature of the beast at UCF. Can't wait to see the new center.

I'm a Gator. This is impressive. Reitz Union has retail inside it and the new addition, but not like this. Also, in Gainesville, the campus' north face faces University. Across the street is all the retail you would need-- I don't know if UF owns many parcels on that side of the street, though.

Orlando is a stranger animal, b/c Alafaya is a pedestrian killer; its way wider and "faster" than Univ. in Gainesville, so this type of retail almost has to be on-campus at UCF for it to work. Crossing the street on foot just isn't realistic at UCF.

Two different animals; but that's the nature of the beast at UCF. Can't wait to see the new center.

I think that is the thought behind all of this building over there. They are trying to make UCF a college town within the college itself. It's impossible to turn that area into a college-town type atmosphere. The area became and established suburb before UCF was able to establish itself as a major university. So, with the wrong kind of town already surrounding the university, they are deciding to build the college-town within the university.

I think it's a good idea and wish I had the money to open up a restaurant/sports bar in the new area.

UF has a pedestrian tunnel on 13th St. connecting the Coll. of Ed. to the main campus.

maybe UCF and DOT could do something similar for students to have better access to University on foot. I don't know; something to connect the campus closer to the street-- if thats the direction they want to go in.

Archived