UCF Knights Football

Chemmie

I think that is the thought behind all of this building over there. They are trying to make UCF a college town within the college itself. It's impossible to turn that area into a college-town type atmosphere. The area became and established suburb before UCF was able to establish itself as a major university. So, with the wrong kind of town already surrounding the university, they are deciding to build the college-town within the university.

I think it's a good idea and wish I had the money to open up a restaurant/sports bar in the new area.

Yeah, it would be cool to have a raised walkway or something over Alafaya. I'm pretty sure you can't dig too deep on this side of town. But a walkway seems easier than a tunnel anyway. Great idea man!

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it would be cool to have a raised walkway or something over Alafaya. I'm pretty sure you can't dig too deep on this side of town. But a walkway seems easier than a tunnel anyway. Great idea man!

Actually, I think there are plans to build one or two pedestrian walkways over Alafaya Tr.

If they could do the raised walkways, and do them nice with concrete and brick and put a UCF sign on them, and then develope some bldgs across Alafaya (like that plaza w/ the theatre- nothing huge, though, then they could have this so-called nexus into that neighborhood or whatever; maybe even make the walkways wider than normal like a narrow road to enhance the experience-- but put UCF's logo on it.

I have a really difficult time seeing better crossings happening. On several of the entrances there aren't even sidewalks to Alafaya (or just a thin strip on one side of the road for some entrances)... UCF needs to expand its useful portions of campus towards Alafaya before that happens, IMO. The pedestrian experience at UCF right now is awful, and a lot needs to be changed to fix that... walking down a grass trail, just to eventually be greeted by walls of parking garages and seas of surface parking just isn't my idea of a great pedestrian environment...

Something that won't happen, but I'd like to see done, is to get rid of the hideous, scrubby pine "forest" fronting Alafaya, and put something there (development + intelligent green space) that will actually draw people in. I'm all for green space, but the UCF version of "green space" is a joke... vast, barren, treeless, unused lawns, the aforemention "forest," and the joke of an arboretum... Overall, the campus is way too disconnected. I'd much rather see more attractive, thoughtful, smaller parks teeming with life + greater building density than tumbleweed floating across a barren lawn...

But then again, we should consider ourselves lucky that our campus doesn't look like USF ;)

Whatever happened to the guy that was plannning to build several 18 story towers near University & Alafaya? This was in the Sentinel about a year and half ago and than i haven't heard anything more. I think he was going to demolish the University club apartments (the old ones behind the commercial strip mall) and build these high rise student dorms.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever happened to the guy that was plannning to build several 18 story towers near University & Alafaya? This was in the Sentinel about a year and half ago and than i haven't heard anything more. I think he was going to demolish the University club apartments (the old ones behind the commercial strip mall) and build these high rise student dorms.

Has anyone heard anything new as to when ucf is going to break ground for the new football stadium.This will be fun when it starts.

Has anyone heard anything new as to when ucf is going to break ground for the new football stadium.This will be fun when it starts.

WESH reports in the last day or two that they have already. Several eye-witnesses have also reporting that they've seen the old practice fields (where the stadium is going) are being dug up now . However, an official groundbreaking with golden shovels and all has yet to be scheduled.

First game - September 15, 2007 vs University of Texas

• 2 weeks later...

UCF recently broke ground on its 45,000-seat stadium. Officials plan to take their financing plan to the bond market next month, and they hope to have their naming-rights deal done so they can secure lower long-term interest rates.

(http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-naming2506may25,0,2804314.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines)

Looks Like they have officially started on the staduim although I never even noticed

The Arena is really taking off on the other hand, its well on its way

• 2 weeks later...

These are big, but I don't know how to resize... There are more pics on the page linked a couple posts above that show the new practice fields, dorms and retail as well as a couple more angles of the arena and stadium construction.

Here's current construction of the new Arena.

DSCN1192%20(Resized).JPG

Here's the ground preps for the new Stadium.

DSCN1212%20(Resized).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Chemmie I was just looking at your photos of the craziest day in UCF Football History (...Marshall) and I saw myself in a few of your pics. That was amazing and now I just can't wait for Sept. 2. Im sad its only June yet anxious at the same time. :w00t:

If you were in the crowd taking down the goalposts, I probably have a picture of you Grummster, on my laptop desktop.

77 Days! ... then on to the Swamp.

...the craziest day in UCF Football History (...Marshall) ...

The craziest day was when we beat Alabama at Alabama, IMHO. Marshall's not what they used to be.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new on-campus staduim at UCF. It'll be a huge boost to the program, for sure. UCF has a good man in George O'Leary. I'm looking forward to September 2nd as well; however, I must pull for my Gators in the swamp (sorry, but I graduated from UF before I graduated from UCF...it'll always be my number one school). :P

The craziest day was when we beat Alabama at Alabama, IMHO. Marshall's not what they used to be.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new on-campus staduim at UCF. It'll be a huge boost to the program, for sure. UCF has a good man in George O'Leary. I'm looking forward to September 2nd as well; however, I must pull for my Gators in the swamp (sorry, but I graduated from UF before I graduated from UCF...it'll always be my number one school). :P

Go Gators. yeah, I wish they weren't playing each other b/c I dig the Knights. However, I'm not counting my chickens on this one yet. UCF is alot better than they used to be.

man, the wayne densch is totally different than when i was there in '95. such a beautiful campus now, not trailers!

Once the stadium is built alot of other buildings will be built around it also.I wonder how long it will be till they will have to expand it to hold more people.Anyone know what the specs are on the stadium and what long range plans they hae for this stadium.I forsee them adding upper decks in the future like they did to the citrus bowl.

Once the stadium is built alot of other buildings will be built around it also.I wonder how long it will be till they will have to expand it to hold more people.Anyone know what the specs are on the stadium and what long range plans they hae for this stadium.I forsee them adding upper decks in the future like they did to the citrus bowl.

I remember reading 45,000, but don't quote me on that. I'm sure if that number is increased the local residents will be in an uproar.

The stadium is designed to add upper decks in the future. Renderings show it with a brick facade but I am not sure if that facade is going to be included in this go around or when/if the upper decks are added.

BTW: Has anybody seen the original Doak Campbell Stadium before the brick facade was added? That is what this stadium will look like.

Archived