UCF Knights Football

Chemmie

your right.Thats like people buying a home out by the airport and complaining about the noise from airplanes

Tell me about it. :rolleyes: I remember reading about the protest on the part of some homeowners from the immediate vicinity of the then-proposed stadium site. I doubt any of these people moved into the area before UCF was established (I doubt that any of their homes were even built then). They moved next door to a growing university and complain when said university grows because of the traffic it will cause seven times a year whenever home games are held.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stadium is designed to add upper decks in the future. Renderings show it with a brick facade but I am not sure if that facade is going to be included in this go around or when/if the upper decks are added.

BTW: Has anybody seen the original Doak Campbell Stadium before the brick facade was added? That is what this stadium will look like.

Any photos?

If you would like to see the UCF rendering w/ the first 45,000 seats go to:

http://www.stadium.ucf.edu

w/ 65,000:

http://www.360architects.com/

i don't know. I'm not a big fan of the concept of leaving a 70,000 seat plus stadium just to build an on-campus 45,000 seat erector set like the old Joke Campbell. I don't know the costs, but they should have considered concrete instead, like UF's.

it looks like build out only allows for 65,000 seats. that sucks. why even bother leavinf the Citrus Bowl for that.

what they should have done was build an east and west stands, like UF and Doak had, which would give you 50-60,000 right there. then, with time, close in the end zones so that you could end up with 90,000 or so inside a full bowl.

But, UCF is not thinking big. Which is ironic, b/c all I've heard from UCF students and grads is how "hey, we've got 40,000 plus students;" as if this high population figure somehow equates to UCF being better than other more established state schools. Where's the big thinking with regards to the stadium?

they should have stayed at the Citrus Bowl or come up with a better design, unless they don't care about having the largest stadium one day, and just want the stadium to make the athletic program more complete.

The convocation center: thumbs up.

the stadium: thumbs down.

I would have to say that even though it may not be the biggest stadium, it will bring together the students and alumni at the tailgates. 25-30K people in the citrust bowl does not give you a good feeling, now put that same amount in the 45K stadium and it will look full and the crowd will feel that. This is a step forward for for UCF.

I would have to say that even though it may not be the biggest stadium, it will bring together the students and alumni at the tailgates. 25-30K people in the citrust bowl does not give you a good feeling, now put that same amount in the 45K stadium and it will look full and the crowd will feel that. This is a step forward for for UCF.

I understand that, but in that 65k rendering... there's no more seats to expand to. I think they should have planned it differently with the expectation of becoming the biggest and the best football program in the state. a big stadium implies that, IMO.

i don't know. I'm not a big fan of the concept of leaving a 70,000 seat plus stadium just to build an on-campus 45,000 seat erector set like the old Joke Campbell. I don't know the costs, but they should have considered concrete instead, like UF's.

it looks like build out only allows for 65,000 seats. that sucks. why even bother leavinf the Citrus Bowl for that.

what they should have done was build an east and west stands, like UF and Doak had, which would give you 50-60,000 right there. then, with time, close in the end zones so that you could end up with 90,000 or so inside a full bowl.

But, UCF is not thinking big. Which is ironic, b/c all I've heard from UCF students and grads is how "hey, we've got 40,000 plus students;" as if this high population figure somehow equates to UCF being better than other more established state schools. Where's the big thinking with regards to the stadium?

they should have stayed at the Citrus Bowl or come up with a better design, unless they don't care about having the largest stadium one day, and just want the stadium to make the athletic program more complete.

The convocation center: thumbs up.

the stadium: thumbs down.

What's the point of using a 70,000 seat stadium if it never sells out and is 12 miles from campus?

What's the point of using a 70,000 seat stadium if it never sells out and is 12 miles from campus?

Never selling out is partially a problem of the team not winning many games prior to last season. Orlando still has a lot of people that root for UM, UF, and FSU. It's going to take a few more winning seasons before UCF can fill either stadium. People don't like rooting for a losing team when there are 3 other winning teams within the state. It's funny though, because I know people that went to UCF and won't make the drive to the Citrus Bowl to root for their alma mater, but would instead drive 2 hours to watch a Gator game when they never attended the school.

I'm personally saddened for the city of Orlando to lose such a big tenant of the Citrus Bowl, but having an on campus stadium is the best thing for UCF. More students will go to the games and root for the Knights. It will help the team win games.

I just have mixed feelings about the whole thing:

Pro- on campus stadium

Con- Citrus Bowl loses its big tenant

Pro- Citrus Bowl can hold 70K plus

Con- on campus stadium will only hold 45k

Maybe if they could have given the Citrus Bowl a dedicated ramp to 408 ala Joe Robbie with tolls lifted before and after games...

its too bad for the stadium. However, maybe they can still host at least one game there per year-- a really big one, like if UF were to come to town, then they would need the extra capacity. Maybe they could do this like Bama does by playing some games in Birmingham instead.

However, maybe they can still host at least one game there per year-- a really big one, like if UF were to come to town, then they would need the extra capacity. Maybe they could do this like Bama does by playing some games in Birmingham instead.

Or if UCF hosts a conference playoff game

good point. their success would also bring more $$$ into town.

I think a refurbished Citrus Bowl might compete for a conference championship game. It's the kind of problem I'd like to have in town.

One thing to think about is that UCF has only had over 45K people at a game a handful of times.

I'm a huge UCF fan and season ticket holder and strongly support the 45K stadium. Sure, it would be nice to see a large 90K stadium in the distant future, but 65K isn't bad for college football. If UCF gets to the level where it needs more than that, and there are only a few colleges at that level, then I guess it will be time to build another on-campus stadium to fit 90K or whatever.

One thing to think about is that UCF has only had over 45K people at a game a handful of times.

I'm a huge UCF fan and season ticket holder and strongly support the 45K stadium. Sure, it would be nice to see a large 90K stadium in the distant future, but 65K isn't bad for college football. If UCF gets to the level where it needs more than that, and there are only a few colleges at that level, then I guess it will be time to build another on-campus stadium to fit 90K or whatever.

I don't know. Personally, I'm a Gator and I'm judging by SEC standards of big stadiums. Because this is Florida, I figured they could get away with realistically planning for a really big one, you know, one that would make a big mark in the NCAA. It would also be a good marketing tool.

To me, going small is the same as going backwards. THis is Orlando, Florida, not some small town in the heartland where a second or third tier football program should be thankful they even have a stadium. 65k is down the road; not even in 2007. UCF needs to aim real high. Even Kentucky's Commonwealth Stadium has more seats than that. So does Vandy. Vandy.

If you build a huge on-campus house, those 20-30k fans will spread the word to others and it will spread like wildfire.

My point is this-- I'm still upset that UCF didn't get the Big East invite. But that's old news now. I'm hoping they can begin dominating the CUSA with the goal of moving up a conference next time a shake-up occurs.

I figured-- they got the med school; might as well get the real big stadium too. either way, its still going to be exciting to see.

I don't know. Personally, I'm a Gator and I'm judging by SEC standards of big stadiums. Because this is Florida, I figured they could get away with realistically planning for a really big one, you know, one that would make a big mark in the NCAA. It would also be a good marketing tool.

To me, going small is the same as going backwards. THis is Orlando, Florida, not some small town in the heartland where a second or third tier football program should be thankful they even have a stadium. 65k is down the road; not even in 2007. UCF needs to aim real high. Even Kentucky's Commonwealth Stadium has more seats than that. So does Vandy. Vandy.

If you build a huge on-campus house, those 20-30k fans will spread the word to others and it will spread like wildfire.

My point is this-- I'm still upset that UCF didn't get the Big East invite. But that's old news now. I'm hoping they can begin dominating the CUSA with the goal of moving up a conference next time a shake-up occurs.

I figured-- they got the med school; might as well get the real big stadium too. either way, its still going to be exciting to see.

Moving into the Big East would have been a great fit for their basketball program, but not have done much for football. I think we should hold off until the ACC comes knocking.

It's tough to compare UCF football to programs in the SEC which have been established for years. I think UCF has only been 1-A for maybe 12 years or so, to get their own on campus stadium is a coup. There are some Big East football programs in big cities which don't have a stadium on campus.

Moving into the Big East would have been a great fit for their basketball program, but not have done much for football. I think we should hold off until the ACC comes knocking.

It's tough to compare UCF football to programs in the SEC which have been established for years. I think UCF has only been 1-A for maybe 12 years or so, to get their own on campus stadium is a coup. There are some Big East football programs in big cities which don't have a stadium on campus.

I think we started 1-A in 1996, so 10 years. It might have been 1995, though, but since 1996 was my first year at UCF and in Orlando (graduated high school outside Philadelphia), it's all I remember.

The Big East would be great if they just got their stuff together and decided to go to a 12 team conference with a Championship game. Bring teams like UCF, Marshall and a couple others in. Marshall vs West Virginia is a great rivalry and UCF vs USF is also a great rivalry. It looks pretty simple to me but who knows with all of the basketball teams the Big East has.

I'm happy with UCF's current state. Sure, I would love to be able to compete on the level with UF and FSU, but it's not going to happen so soon. Until then, I'm happy with Conference USA, and happy with our own 45K stadium. I guess I just don't want to press too hard trying to get to the top and I am content competing at the level we are currently at.

I'd love for the ACC or SEC to come knocking in another 5 years or so. If we can keep winning our division of CUSA, that might happen. Who knows?

I'll be going by the construction sites at UCF today and getting some new photos. From what I hear there are a couple support buildings (bathrooms/concessions) for the stadium that are going up and the footings are up and the arena is well underway.

Here are the photos I took today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chemmie/

Three buildings are up, towards the interior. It looks like the grandstands will be just above these buildings as there are footings for the stands on the outside of these buildings. I think there will be another oval of buildings on the outside, too. Two ovals of buildings with area to walk between them and stairs leading to the stands.

Here are the photos I took today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chemmie/

Three buildings are up, towards the interior. It looks like the grandstands will be just above these buildings as there are footings for the stands on the outside of these buildings. I think there will be another oval of buildings on the outside, too. Two ovals of buildings with area to walk between them and stairs leading to the stands.

Thanks, awesome pics. Looks like you were on campus for a while! I can't belive they have gotten this much done

Vandy's stadium is not even close to 65k. It is actually smaller than UCF's stadium is going to be and holds just under 40k. http://vucommodores.com/info/facilities/Va...biltStadium.asp Even though it's small, it can still be a fun place to catch a game if you are there in one of the rare years when Vandy is actually playing well.

I agree with you 100 percent

I agree with you 100 percent

I dissagree 100 percent. The whole issue is revenue. And although some day UCF may be able to fill a 65K stadium, right now and for the next 5 years 45K is about right. Yeah, they might miss out on a few thousand tiicket sales for some of the biggest games but what UCF wants to be able to do is bring in more funds from their alumini and that is done mostly through the booster club. In order to bring prices up especially on the booster club levels to qualify for premium seating there has to be demand. If there are alway good seats available for any game then there is no incentive to donate $1000 or $2500 a year to the GKC. People are currently bumping up their GKC donor levels in order to lock in the good seats at the new stadium. If the stadium were 65K there would be absolutely no reason to increase the giving level.

By the way, there are about 15K seats that will have backs and arms. If you want to sit there you have to be a GKC donor. '07 Club seating is $25K for 2 (sold out). Homeside seats between the 20s is ticket cost plus a donation from $500 to $1750 (for 4 season tickets) depending on location. That donation level is prorated up if you want more than 4.

I dissagree 100 percent. The whole issue is revenue. And although some day UCF may be able to fill a 65K stadium, right now and for the next 5 years 45K is about right. Yeah, they might miss out on a few thousand tiicket sales for some of the biggest games but what UCF wants to be able to do is bring in more funds from their alumini and that is done mostly through the booster club. In order to bring prices up especially on the booster club levels to qualify for premium seating there has to be demand. If there are alway good seats available for any game then there is no incentive to donate $1000 or $2500 a year to the GKC. People are currently bumping up their GKC donor levels in order to lock in the good seats at the new stadium. If the stadium were 65K there would be absolutely no reason to increase the giving level.

By the way, there are about 15K seats that will have backs and arms. If you want to sit there you have to be a GKC donor. '07 Club seating is $25K for 2 (sold out). Homeside seats between the 20s is ticket cost plus a donation from $500 to $1750 (for 4 season tickets) depending on location. That donation level is prorated up if you want more than 4.

Now, I agree with that... the $$$ strategy for future expansions. My only point was that they should have designed it to be expandable to 90k seats down the road, that's all, and not only 65k seats. Its like the whole 408 widening project... west of I-4, they built a noise wall which does not look like it will accomodate 8 lanes in the future- only the 6 that they are widening it for now. its restrictive. Build your 45k seat stadium, but make sure its expandable to at least double the size. $.02.

But I agree, getting it in the first place is HUGE.

Now, I agree with that... the $$$ strategy for future expansions. My only point was that they should have designed it to be expandable to 90k seats down the road, that's all, and not only 65k seats. Its like the whole 408 widening project... west of I-4, they built a noise wall which does not look like it will accomodate 8 lanes in the future- only the 6 that they are widening it for now. its restrictive. Build your 45k seat stadium, but make sure its expandable to at least double the size. $.02.

But I agree, getting it in the first place is HUGE.

I may not know as much as some GKC members but I am a student there and I think that if we make it big time then they may want to start over with a concrete construction stadium instead of going on with the steel.

Y0u might be right.I think that ucf will outgrow this stadium quicker than alot of folks might think.I hope we have that problem.

Y0u might be right.I think that ucf will outgrow this stadium quicker than alot of folks might think.I hope we have that problem.

and that's my point too. I'm a Gator, but I have respect for UCF's football program and it's potential. that's why I'm thinking big with regards to the stadium issue. real big.

Archived