Packing Heat

monsoon

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nukes are kind of like the parental statement "I brought you into this world, I can take you out".

Effective for a little while as a deterent, but loses its effect when everyone realizes it won't happen. And then completely horrifying when it actually does happen.

Everything about them is creepy, depressing, and omenous.

Those photos are creepy enough with 50s nerds and GI Joes in them. Just replace them in your mind with their Iranian counterparts.

I just shivered.

Those photos are creepy enough with 50s nerds and GI Joes in them. Just replace them in your mind with their Iranian counterparts.

I just shivered.

Indeed. Did you catch the demonstration of that very small nuclear shell included Iranians? We invited them here to teach them the value of having the bomb. Of course in those days, we hoped they would point them at our enemies. Now that we are the enemy, no doubt the thinking has changed.

I'm still a beleiver that nukes have created the relative peace and lack of home soil warfare we have enjoyed the past 60 years. If it wasn't for the nuclear detterent I'm sure that there would have already been at least one more World War and we would have probably been invaded at least once. As long as nukes are kept in the right hands (large, stable governments) they are a good thing.

Possibly. However this particular weapon was a product of an insane lust for nukes as it could never be used. It only had a range of 3 miles so the people shooting the weapon often got caught in the nuclear fallout. No much word is available on the poor unfortunates witnessing this test.

• 3 months later...

I woner what the terrorists who think that they could actually invade the US, would think if they saw that video? It would be funny to hear their thoughts, I don't think they can comprehend what we COULD do to them.

...It's kind of weird that we used (do we still?) test these things on our own soil, above ground. These weapons tests probably do hell to the atmosphere.

Actually there is a worldwide ban on atmospheric testing of atomic and nuclear bombs these days. After hundreds of tests above ground, they found that radiation was showing up in milk as the fallout from these things would travel for thousands of miles (mainly from much more powerful H-bomb tests), land on fields, and were digested by dairy cows. Countries are still free to explode underground, though France violated this treaty and exploded 6 H-bombs in the South Pacific in 1995 This was the last time it has happened.

Actually there is a worldwide ban on atmospheric testing of atomic and nuclear bombs these days. After hundreds of tests above ground, they found that radiation was showing up in milk as the fallout from these things would travel for thousands of miles (mainly from much more powerful H-bomb tests), land on fields, and were digested by dairy cows. Countries are still free to explode underground, though France violated this treaty and exploded 6 H-bombs in the South Pacific in 1995 This was the last time it has happened.

all this is very interesting and scary at the same time. Just imagine what more powerful a bombs could do

all this is very interesting and scary at the same time. Just imagine what more powerful a bombs could do

The test above and what the smaller countries have are A-bombs. These are bombs based on fission and the type used to destroy Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

The much more powerful H-bomb, based on nuclear fusion, are much more difficult to produce and are only possessed by the big guys. i.e. USA, Russia, China, UK, and France

This is a video of the Tsar Bomba, the largest H-bomb ever exploded. This one bomb was 10X more powerful than all of the explosives used in WWII. At the end, they describe what will happen to a city like London if exploded over it.

I was gong to wonder... who would invade us and is it even possible... then duuuuh... Mexicans come across quite easily. Canadians can too... we have miles and miles of border and coasts to protect and none of it would be perfectly sealed. But a military invasion here? Normal citizens would defend their land.

Archived