Florida

Not enough non-government jobs in the public/private sector. You will never be paid what you're worth and for graduates in competitive fields (science, technology), the government can't keep up with wages. There is no reason to go to school for 4, 5 (or how ever many years it takes a person to obtain a degree) years just to accept a state job starting out in the low-mid 20's. That's crazy.

End result, FAMU and FSU have a mass exodus every December and April.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not enough non-government jobs in the public/private sector. You will never be paid what you're worth and for graduates in competitive fields (science, technology), the government can't keep up with wages. There is no reason to go to school for 4, 5 (or how ever many years it takes a person to obtain a degree) years just to accept a state job starting out in the low-mid 20's. That's crazy.

End result, FAMU and FSU have a mass exodus every December and April.

I am the rare exception that actually moved to Tallahassee after graduating, so let me offer you my experience.

I would have loved to find a Government job when I moved here, and I applied to several, also to FSU and TCC. I understand that in positions like those, you start at the bottom and work your way up, I was certainly willing to do so. No one would even give me an interview, much less a job.

I was not an unqualified applicant. I started working at 16 and worked through college, plus I took part in a huge number of extracurriculars, many of those in leadership roles. I had a very respectable gpa from a tiny private college with a major and two minors.

I was offered a job by a local Call Center called PatLive at $10/hour and the job I took at Health Management Systems at $12/hour (and this one was temp-to-hire so I never got any benefits or vacation). I continued to look for something better for 6-8 months after I got to Tally, continued to apply and nada. Found my current job outside of Tallahassee which pays more than double what I was making at HMS.

I think the problem is the system. I don't know that there is much else I could have done to make myself a better applicant at that point. Whether it's lack of jobs, or simply the hiring process/system itself. If the only way you can find a decent job in Tally is to throw yourself on someone's mercy or know someone already in the position, I don't blame people for abandoning ship the second they graduate.

I think the problem is the system. I don't know that there is much else I could have done to make myself a better applicant at that point. Whether it's lack of jobs, or simply the hiring process/system itself. If the only way you can find a decent job in Tally is to throw yourself on someone's mercy or know someone already in the position, I don't blame people for abandoning ship the second they graduate.

Reading these posts remind me why I hate FSU so much. I'm a student, but I've also worked for FSU for 3 years in three different capacities (part and full time). The cronyism and nepotism that goes on there, along with shady management pratices make me never want to work for the school again, ever! Not to mention the absolutely lousy pay.

If FSU and FAMU are the best jobs this town has to offer, we are severely lacking.....

Reading these posts remind me why I hate FSU so much. I'm a student, but I've also worked for FSU for 3 years in three different capacities (part and full time). The cronyism and nepotism that goes on there, along with shady management pratices make me never want to work for the school again, ever! Not to mention the absolutely lousy pay.

If FSU and FAMU are the best jobs this town has to offer, we are severely lacking.....

That's the problem, most graduates don't want to work for the state or county so Tallahassee must do better in the economic sector. We have a few private sector companies but those jobs fill up quickly leaving grads with two options: Get on with the state and/or county or leave for the major cities where they can land good-paying jobs with the quickness.

Florida's economic future demands vision and investment now

Amid all the graphs, the charts and the statistics from two days of briefings during the 2008 Business Editors' Summit this week, there were important remarks about the bigger picture for our state.

In the short run, the economic seas will be choppy. There was ample evidence presented to support that, yet the conversations kept coming back to the prospect of fundamental, long-term changes in Florida's economy that will transcend the difficulties in the short run.

What we have before us is an opportunity to redefine Florida's economy and redefine Florida's government and set them up for the next 50 to 100 years."

The opportunity is revitalizing and transforming the state's economy in the coming years, going beyond simply agriculture, construction and tourism to add a fourth sector

"frankly speaking if one looking to make decent wages working within their major there are several opportunities with the state, county, and city in various departments"

State jobs just don't pay well in comparison to the private sector. Tally SEVERELY limits itself by thinking state jobs are highly desirable to the average college grad....they aren't on average. Under Tally grasps that....it is at a disadvantage because it lulls itself into thinking it doesn't need to fight for high paying industry. It isn't popular to say all that....but it is the reality.

Tally will never reach the goals many on this board, on some politicians, have stated until in brings in a much more significant private sector.

I'll agree with you to an extent St Joe. Salaries themselves of state jobs arent competitive with the private sector, but their benefit packages are, especially if students are fortunate enough to get a job in the legislature.

But overall, I agree with you that Tally does need to fight for more quality company's to locate here.

"but their benefit packages are, especially if students are fortunate enough to get a job in the legislature."

and...as you realize, I am sure, most young grads will just look at the salary first and foremost.

Let me say this....the BEST economy is one with State jobs AND private ones......look at Austsin, Texas...Raleigh, NC, etc. But Tally has always failed to understand the importance of the private side.

I'll just say... it seems easy to take these stabs at "Tallahassee" for not having the strength it should in the private sector, but success has to be much easier said than done.

How long did it take the Austins of America to get the good private sector jobs. I feel we have the climate so to speak, I just don't feel like we've got the persons willing to make the investment.

I'll just say... it seems easy to take these stabs at "Tallahassee" for not having the strength it should in the private sector, but success has to be much easier said than done.

How long did it take the Austins of America to get the good private sector jobs. I feel we have the climate so to speak, I just don't feel like we've got the persons willing to make the investment.

So what I don't understand is where the "disconnect" is between wanting this and making it happen?

Is it the City Commission? In recent times, I think they've stepped up to the plate fairly well when you compare them to the County Commission. Is it the fault of the ever present "old guard" that has lots of money, power and land in this town that don't want things to change b/c that would give them less power and influence?

"I've been asking myself for some time now, why did the Proctors really sell all of those franchises to the Champion crew while holding onto the foreign brands, Honda and Acura? Seems to me, the answer lies in the fact that the Proctors understand Japanese cars are gaining in popularity and want as much as possible to capture more of that market before someone else, namely Legacy, gets a chance. It would not surprise me to learn that Proctor is fighting Legacy for the Lexus franchise as we speak. This is just one example of how strategic the Old Guard can be."

I dont know if thats a good example of the old guard or just an example of a good business decision by Proctor if it were true. Either way, Legacy will be fine, since they now house the #2 car manufacturer in the United States.

"I've been asking myself for some time now, why did the Proctors really sell all of those franchises to the Champion crew while holding onto the foreign brands, Honda and Acura? Seems to me, the answer lies in the fact that the Proctors understand Japanese cars are gaining in popularity and want as much as possible to capture more of that market before someone else, namely Legacy, gets a chance. It would not surprise me to learn that Proctor is fighting Legacy for the Lexus franchise as we speak. This is just one example of how strategic the Old Guard can be."

I dont know if thats a good example of the old guard or just an example of a good business decision by Proctor if it were true. Either way, Legacy will be fine, since they now house the #2 car manufacturer in the United States.

Archived