Florida

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kb, there's sprawl (not quite as bad) and then there's disconnected sprawl (worse.) I believe that Jax suffers from the latter and something I don't want our city to suffer from.

Just b/c everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean we have to w/the examples you listed. We grow cities and never seem to learn from our mistakes. The same mistakes that were made in Houston and ATL are now being copied by CLT and somewhat in The Triangle. Phoenix, have you been there, is in a lovely area, but they've just about ruined the Valley of the Sun w/their sprawl. The smog now just about as bad in PHX as it is in LA which most moved there to flee. Tuscon while still sprawling in their valley has handled it much better. Also w/the adobe style building that better suits the area and climate and their extensive use of xeriscaping. Tuscon has seemed to have learned from PHX and many people that live there now b/c it's NOT PHX.

PDX (Portland) w/their rigid Urban Service Boundary or whatever they call it has done a great job too containing sprawl. The answers my friend aren't always in the East, hell maybe not even in the US.

Tally doesn't need to the biggest or the fastest growing, but at what we do, we should do it great...and that includes luring business that are a good fit w/us and growing smart (infill no leap frogging.)

I'm not sure what you mean by juxtaposing regular sprawl with disconnected sprawl--perhaps you're referring to more of a leapfrog development pattern? If that's the case, it could be argued that the areas of disconnect could potentially become something better than traditional sprawl (i.e., mixed-use developments). At any rate, the only point I was trying to make is that all significantly-sized cities have sprawl, from Jax to Greenville to Greensboro. But that shouldn't stop Tallhassee from learning from any of them. Eat the fish and spit out the bones. Nobody needs a model for sprawl to happen anyway; it happens on its own, even in Portland. Some argue that the urban growth boundary there has only pushed the sprawl further away from the city, not totally eliminated it.

Bttm line, I'm a dense to mid-dense walkable city fan and leap-frog development does not accomplish this while a well regulated USA does. Will this ever be accomplished in Tally, probably not. Absolutely Tally can learn valuable ideas from other cities in our State and the SE and while we are at it, we can also learn what not to do. :)

When you really think about it, there's no true way to prevent sprawl. The state of Florida has only made this task more difficult with its latest moves to require new development to conform to SB-360. On top of this, exporting our downtown state employees to the remote office complexes around town.

Leap-frog development can sometimes be a good thing. For it may preserve an area between two developed areas for future development, usually coming in at a more efficient configuration. Wouldn't it be great if we could require devlopment to always neighbor development!? Then we could prevent all of this.

Poonther, it seems it may not be fair to compare the Pheonix development with Tuscon's. Most of Arizona's major cities are clustered within a 25 mile radius around Pheonix with a combined population of ~ 2 Million people, Tuscon basically sits alone with ~ 500,000, so I would assume polution is less. I think 500,000 is an awesome number.

• 4 months later...

The 2 universities, The warm weather, proximity to the coast. "Family oriented city"

Florida, tally will never grow like you like it though... too many stupid citizens and lame ordinances and slow permitting... If youre looking for growth which I am, I am going to relocate to a larger city after school

I mean, given our current situation, Nationally, regionally, statewide.... are there factors working in our favor pushing this growth.

• We've seen a few decent jobs created in the past year so I think that has something to do with it.

• I believe the national marketing of projects such as Southwood, Fallschase, Canopy (Welaunee) have brought us some attention.

• Not sure if you all noticed, but there are more senior oriented developments that are also being pushed and I believe those are magnets.

• Our natural beauty, weather, quality of life continues to charm.

• I do believe the growth of the universities is a major factor as that would mean hiring more professors/faculty.

• I also think many who came to the area behind construction work were attracted.

• Mainly I believe the growth continues to be driven by Senior Citizens.

I'm looking for growth, but I'm not dying for it to happen overnight. Just curious TD, what city do you have in mind?

FL I think one of the major factors for Tally's growth you left out is the over-population of South and Central FL. I'm always amazed at the number of ex-South Floridians like myself I meet here. Also now we are starting to see the same thing w/folks that have lived in Central FL for a long-time leaving that area for North FL too. I know of at least a dozen families in my neighborhood that at one time or another use to live in SFL.

From an Urban Planning school of thought, the fastest growing cities aren't always the best. Too rapid of growth creates several problems from traffic to crime and to over-crowded schools. Generally the highest rated quality of life places are cities/metros that grow, but at a 2 to 5% rate. Also mid-size university cities always rank strong in quality of life surveys...technical surveys not the ones that magazines put out yearly.

TD, I spend a lot of time in CLT and to stick to the rule of not bashing cities, I'll just say while it's rapidly growing, it's not a place I enjoy. It's the biggest small town I've ever been to. Tally would do well to mimic CLT's economic success, but not follow socially. I like Tally a little wacky. Should I ever leave Tally, it would be for the progressive cities west of the Rockies.

Because when I have traveled before... my two favorite states are Tennessee and North Carolina..... I love the natural beauty of the mountains and cooler weather, also its only 8 hours from Tallahassee,, plus i could ski there in the winter,.... I was considering Nashville or Charlotte because they are both Mid Sized big cities both in the climate i want to live in.....

I love music so im considering nashville because of its awesome music scene, but charlotte wouldnt be bad either..... 5 years from now you could probably find me in one of those two cities....

Not to mention both of those Cities have excellent down towns, and are both growing rapidly....

Im not really happy unless i live in a place with a nice down town.....

Dont get me wrong, i love tallahassee, and think it was a great place to grow up and live... I love the canopy roads, the hills, the beach is near, its just that I desire a bigger city with the amenities that follow...

Glenn to answer your question My major is Interdisciplinary social Science..... I really wish FSU had a bachelors program for Urban and Regional Planning, because thats what i would have majored in. I dont think i have the patience to stick around 2 more years at FSU's masters program either.

So, maybe I will just find a job and start a life in NC or TN, in a year or so,,, then enroll in a school up there to get a masters in Urb and Reg. planning....

anyhow i guess this post is done now, that everyone knows my plans, haha

Good plan TD. Now I do like Nashville, but hey it's your life. :)

I can make it to CLT in about 7 hours 15 minutes from my house in Tally. And FYI: folks in CLT get mad if you call their downtown...downtown....it's UPTOWN baby!

You still can't get a BS or BA from FSU in Planning?

Good plan TD. Now I do like Nashville, but hey it's your life. :)

I can make it to CLT in about 7 hours 15 minutes from my house in Tally. And FYI: folks in CLT get mad if you call their downtown...downtown....it's UPTOWN baby!

You still can't get a BS or BA from FSU in Planning?

Wow, what route do you take to accomplish that? I'm doing the RDU-Tallahassee drive in a couple of weeks and google maps is giving me ~10 hours, 45 min. down I-95 through Savannah, cutting across Georgia via hwy-84. CLT is only 2 hours from RDU, so going "thataway" sounds better...

• 1 month later...

Originally published January 8, 2008

Economist says Leon is a bright spot in economy

By Steve Liner

BUSINESS MATTERS EDITOR

Noted economist Hank Fishkind called Leon County's real-estate market "thoroughly stable" Monday as he rolled out his second annual Attorneys Title Fund report on the state of Florida's residential real-estate market.

Fishkind's assessment of the Tallahassee market was one of the brightest spots of the report. In a conference call with reporters, Fishkind said Florida population and economic growth will be "very slow, especially during the first half" of 2008. However, Fishkind stopped short of predicting a recession for either Florida or the national economy.

He cited a 10-percent level of growth in the third quarter of 2007 and zero growth in the fourth quarter, but predicted about half a percent of economic growth in the first quarter of 2008.

"I've been saying the same thing for a long time," said Steven Louchheim, executive director of the Tallahassee Board of Realtors. "We have stable employment, lower unemployment compared to both the state and national economies and the economic engines of state government, two major universities and a large community college."

Source: TDO.com

Not enough non-government jobs in the public/private sector. You will never be paid what you're worth and for graduates in competitive fields (science, technology), the government can't keep up with wages. There is no reason to go to school for 4, 5 (or how ever many years it takes a person to obtain a degree) years just to accept a state job starting out in the low-mid 20's. That's crazy.

End result, FAMU and FSU have a mass exodus every December and April.

Archived