Do you prefer to travel domestically or internationally?

Rwarky

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both. I absolutely hate being in airplanes for long periods of time, but I like going to places that are new and exotic.. especially culturally speaking.

Domestic travel is also fun though. This summer I made a 2,500 mile trek from San Diego to Bemidji, Minnesota. It was 100*F the whole time and we had two flat tires (one in western Colorado and one in Lakeville, mN) but it was alright. I loved just seeing all the wilderness and stuff. That's not something you get when you travel to, say, places like Asia or Europe.

I'd say both... but the most international i've traveled is Canada and the Bahamas lol. I'd definitely like to make it to Europe one of these days if nothing else, though. Hong Kong & Tokyo look kinda interesting too.

I definitely still have plenty left to see in the U.S. as well!

I've done more international travel than domestic in recent years. I've always liked traveling around the States though and there is plenty I haven't seen. Don't laugh; I've never even been to the Grand Canyon or Las Vegas (well, the airport for a stopover but that doesn't count.... :blush: )! I intend to do a lot more domestic travel starting next Spring/Summer....

I like to travel internationally. I'm fortunate that I've been able to visit all the continents except Austraila and Antarctica (got close to the latter when in Tierra del Fuego in Chile).

I really feel I make a better American by seeing first-hand how others live and perceive us. We get too high-on-the-horse sometimes thinking our way is the only way, yet most of us have never seen how things work elsewhere (mass transit and land-use being biggies).

I could go either way

Put me in a car anyday, i like to be in control of things. I wish it was possible during the summer months to drive to Europe in my junky car and then visit my relatives in Italy. My car would get smoked by the many Peugots, Alfa-Romeo, Benz and BMW's. If anything, i could race the Fiats along the autostrada/motorway/autobohn whatever you wanna call it :D

I wish I could say that I believed you Jerseyman about your car being that junky.. but the truth is, while people over here drive Peugots, BMWs, etc. Most of them are very toned down to our American versions. For example, the most powerful car I've been in over here was a Mercedes with 120H.P and that thing was expensive.

Yes, the thing had some muscle, but it couldn't have even beat my Pontiac at home for pick up and get go speed.

the truth is, cars in Europe have taken a substantial beating in power for fuel efficiency. Nobody wants to guzzle down gas at $4.50/gallon.

Sure, cars drive fast on the Autobahn, but they take a while to get up to speed.. and only when there aren't constant traffic jams (Stau).

For this reason, I find the train much more pleasant.

I took a cross-country trip a few years ago, and fell in love with the National Park system. I definitely want to see as many of the National Parks as possible. What are some of your favorites? I love Acadia and Bryce Canyon especially.

Traveling around the world isn't particularly unsafe especially if you are smart about it. I also don't get the impression from my travels that Americans are as ill-received as people make it out to be. Maybe in the Middle-East, but not much anywhere else. As far as the question goes...I like both domestic and international travel but they're drastically different.

From the Britons I've met, I hear very little stereotype and a lot of often valid concerns about Americans. It's the worst criticism to face but also the most well informed.

Other places there seem to be a lot of stereotype that they get from the media. Some people would believe that Americans all live in mansions in Orange County, California. Or that we eat nothing but McDonalds every day for every meal. And here in Austria they complain incessantly about McDonalds and how bad it is.. and then walk in, down a BigMac, a large fry, an ice cream sundae, and a jug of pop like nothing ever happened. So take any criticism now in stride.

I've heard so much anti-Bush rhetoric here from people and most of it is unfounded. They know very little or have only heard form others the grounds on which they base most of their anti-George Bushism. I usually just tell them to find out more information before saying stuff like that (being as anti-Bush as I am, I find even he deserves a fair fight)...

Other than that, I feel like there is more generalized xenophobia than anti-Americanism. In Salzburg, for example, people tend to complain more about Japanese people than Americans because 1) They never take pictures with more than one person at a time. 2) They can never take close-ups. They have to cover both sides of the bridge so people feel rude walking through. 3) There are a LOT of them. 4) There is no four. Just these minor inconveniences that they probably don't even realize that they cause. Maybe it's not rude in Japan because it's normal.

Otherwise, people tend to be pretty friendly here in Austria. they're not nearly as serious about life as the Germans and once you get a few beers in them, they become very nice.

Archived