• Atlanta
    • Houston
    • Miami
    • Charlotte
    • Nasheville

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Atlanta's because it has several skylines, and a panorama shot that captures all of them is simply awesome. As far as skylines go, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami are the big shots in the South; no other cities have such a critical mass as yet to compete with them.

the poll is about identifying the best skyline not the best building ;):D

I do have to say that aside from the Bank of America Center in Houston, no building really stands out in that city. To me anyways.

Now I understand what Nashville folks on this website are saying about Charlotte area folks vis-a-vis buildings and boosterism, how else can you explain this negativity? Here's boosterism for you: Have you guys been here and explored all the buildings in the 8-1/2 skylines here? You take away Charlotte BOA and Houston's #3 skyline cluster (greenway plaza) would equal Charlotte's. The #2 cluster (West Loop /Galleria) blows away all of the skylines in the Southeast outside Atlanta and Miami, to say nothing of downtown Houston. Come over, visit the jaw-dropping waterwall which is a huge U-shaped (HVAC evaporator) sculpture at the Williams tower on the West Loop. This sculpture and the tower are separated by football field length lawn where dozens of kids frolic in the evening. Here's Emporis page on this beauty: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=117714

Check out Pennzoil Place (I & II) which has an all-glass huge lobby with two 36 floor towers piercing the floor and canopy, with the corners of the towers separated by 20 ft: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=117716

And while you're at it check out the Mayan influence in this 53 floor structure: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=117639

For interesting shapes, see http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=117667 and http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=117645 this last one on the western edge of the West Loop about 8 mi from downtown.

Get here while the weather's fine, OK?

No negativity here, just an honest observation. The skyline as a whole is definitely overwhelming, but it's just that TO ME, no individual towers really stand out (maybe BOA); I think it's due to the relative lack of crowns and/or spires atop the towers. Not once did I chump Houston to play up some other city, so there's no boosterism going on here.

Now I understand what Nashville folks on this website are saying about Charlotte area folks vis-a-vis buildings and boosterism, how else can you explain this negativity? Here's boosterism for you: Have you guys been here and explored all the buildings in the 8-1/2 skylines here? You take away Charlotte BOA and Houston's #3 skyline cluster (greenway plaza) would equal Charlotte's. The #2 cluster (West Loop /Galleria) blows away all of the skylines in the Southeast outside Atlanta and Miami, to say nothing of downtown Houston. Come over, visit the jaw-dropping waterwall which is a huge U-shaped (HVAC evaporator) sculpture at the Williams tower on the West Loop. This sculpture and the tower are separated by football field length lawn where dozens of kids frolic in the evening. Here's Emporis page on this beauty: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=117714

hehe... I voted for Houston, I think they have the most impressive skyline(s) by far in the SE. Other cities have better individual buildings.

Definitely Houston. Not only does it have a beautiful downtown skyline, but it has quite a few pretty individual buildings such as the Bank of America Center, Williams Tower, Heritage Plaza, and the architecurally famous Pennzoil Towers. I think what I like best about the Houston CBD skyline is that the individually pretty buildings don't lose their uniqueness when photographed from the north or from the west.

Houston's skyline may be a bit more dense than Dallas, but I like the way Dallas's comes together. Dallas also has satellite skylines, but these aren't as tall as the central one, creating a staggered effect I find appealing.

I quite like Miami though. I'm not sure where to put the vote.

Wow, that tower looks like a four-sided 1180 Peachtree in Atlanta. I like it. And the Uptown skyline looks like it could be two Fort Worth skylines.

I totally agree it is almost a replica of 1180 Peachtree. I always tell my buddies in ATL that it looks like a Huge box of cereal, but with the top flaps left open. :lol:

I like the distinct flare that it adds, although not my fav.

(FWIW, I am a fan of Houston's main skyline as well as the Medical district. BUT, I think it would have been even more impressive if they would have developed the skyline in one area. I think most from ATL wish the same. Don't get me wrong I love the skylines of both, but I am a NYC,Chicago, and SanFran guy myself)

I love density along with height.

I am hoping that the way that CLT continues to develop that it will gain attention for being the dense Urban core it is slowly becoming. With the exception of South Park and Ballyntyne I think Charlotte really can have a VERY impressive skyline in 25 years with it stretching from SouthEnd to Midtown.

It is kind of silly to think PRESENT DAY Charlotte would win this poll. We are a large Teir 2 city only slowly emerging into the status of the tier 1 cities listed on the poll. However in 10-15 years I think things might be a bit different !

A2

different how?

The Uptown of Charlotte will have 2x the density it does now. And plus in 15+ years we should exceed 3.5-4M in CSA just shy of wher ATL is now.

IMO, that will put us on a tier one playing field. Currently, Charlotte is 15+years away from this size.

When I lived in Atlanta as a child it was as large as present day Charlotte with around 2.2M in the MSA. That number has more than doubled in the last two decades. (along with the size of Midtown, Buckhead, and the majority of all the development around Northern 285)

Charlotte is poised to grow in a similar fashion, but HOPEFULLY with certain development constraints that will limit the skyline from being three to four seperate "pods" of Highrises, but rather ONE dense core (ie Boston type of Downtown.)

I think that even though some people hate 277, it is in many ways a way to capture the growth of the vast majority of 85% of all high rise development, with the exception of Midtown and Southend. (but these are all within a 2mile radius of the square)

I don't know if this clears anything up though regarding your question Newnan. ;)

A2

Atlanta

Miami and Dallas are the closest competitors, IMO.

Houston might win it for me, but it's skyline is a bit too chunky. Also, the buildings don't seem to communicate well with me either.

(FWIW, I am a fan of Houston's main skyline as well as the Medical district. BUT, I think it would have been even more impressive if they would have developed the skyline in one area. I think most from ATL wish the same. Don't get me wrong I love the skylines of both, but I am a NYC,Chicago, and SanFran guy myself)

Though I can somewhat agree with you idea about Atlanta's skyline, I still like having it spread out like it is even though I wish there weren't so many gaps.

Archived