CNU Volunteers

AriPVD

We will soon be taking applications for volunteers for the 14th Congress for the New Urbanism, June 1-4 in Providence. Volunteering is a great way to defray the cost of attending the congress. Volunteers for 8 hours will pay $100 to attend, volunteers for 12 hours will attend for no cost. All volunteering will occur during the congress and at special events in the evenings, but that should not obstruct from full participation. I'll post when I have more info, just giving everyone a heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NextGen3: The Third Conference of the Next Generation of New Urbanists

www.cnunextgen.org

Wednesday, May 31st, 2006, FREE (day prior to CNU XIV June 1-4, 2005)

Providence, Rhode Island

The Next Generation of New Urbanists, or NextGen, is a group of emerging professionals and students organized to collaboratively assess the current trends and practices contributing to the evolution of New Urbanism. NextGen organizes its own FREE one day conference the day before the annual Congress for New Urbanism, this year on May 31, 2006 from 9:00 AM-5:00 PM at the Providence Convention Center.

NextGen3 Program

Paralleling the CNU XIV theme, Developing the New Urbanism, NextGen has invited developers under the age of 35 who are currently managing New Urbanist projects to get their inside view on the challenges and opportunities on the front lines of implementation.

In the morning session Anna Lowder & Harvi Sahorta will discuss efforts on urban revitalization & the new town of Hampstead outside Montgomery, Alabama; Jed and Katie Selby will share the story of South Main River Park in Buena Vista, Colorado; Sara Struever will talk about the founding of Puente and "The Plant" mill redevelopment in Providence, Rhode Island.

The afternoon will mark the return of a NextGen anchor activity, Open Space Technology. The Open Space format allows participants to generate their own agenda of topics and dynamically organize in small groups to share, interact, network and collaborate. The results from the previous open space sessions can be found on the NextGen website: http://www.cnunextgen.org/congress.php

Throughout the Congress

NextGen will be hosting a handful of events throughout the Congress including 2 sessions, evening gatherings, and a reception. Details to follow.

Registration

NextGen3 is FREE, and you do not have to attend CNU XIV to attend the NextGen activities. Register directly through the official CNU XIV registration process at http://www.cnuxiv.org/Content/10098/Register_Now.html. *

Volunteer Opportunities

• 1 month later...

ArtInRuins: heard of Hope VI?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOPE_VI

And the many other city projects and low to middle income projects New Urbanists have worked on? They don't get the publicity that greenfield work gets. I have worked on - farmworker housing, housing in Juarez, a pueblo in New Mexico, inner city in Tuscon, Albuquerque, Peoria, Boston, Idaho Falls, Bay St Louis Mississippi, New Orleans, Blakely Georgia (and the list goes on...).

Most New Urbanists have at least half of their work in existing and/or affordable projects. We would like to do more!

And the many other city projects and low to middle income projects New Urbanists have worked on? They don't get the publicity that greenfield work gets. I have worked on - farmworker housing, housing in Juarez, a pueblo in New Mexico, inner city in Tuscon, Albuquerque, Peoria, Boston, Idaho Falls, Bay St Louis Mississippi, New Orleans, Blakely Georgia (and the list goes on...).

Most New Urbanists have at least half of their work in existing and/or affordable projects. We would like to do more!

Hey Citydweller,

How come you call what you practice "New Urbanism"? Isnt' just good ol' plain urbanism (with a little u)?

Hey Citydweller,

How come you call what you practice "New Urbanism"? Isnt' just good ol' plain urbanism (with a little u)?

I think "New Urbanism" takes "old Urbanism" and refines it. Take for instance the old idea of working living and playing in one area. New Urbanism has begun a trend that involves connecting cities to their streets and other parts of the community. In the past, you could never get a developer to also develope the streets and such that surround them.

anyone wanting to practice some new old urban environmentalism can meet me at the corner of Tazza and big empty lot to plant a bunch of planters and stuff for the conference party. I'll be there tomorrow (wednesday) sometime after 8 am. if you're working downtown, do come by and buy me an iced tea or just say hi. i'll be the one covered head to toe in grit and determination to see this project complete before i run off for a few weeks to get hitched.

before i run off for a few weeks to get hitched.

What are you getting hitched to?

As of this evening, the weather forecast for this weekend does not look good. :( Hope it inproves for the conference. Is there a full or partial Waterfire planned for this group?

You know Tony Patrarca has no idea what the weather will be like unless he can see it out his window, and he doesn't seem to have a window.

WaterFire appears to be full, sponsored by Providence Place.

Anyone hear Dan Solomon's talk at the end last night called "Whatever Happened to Modernity?" along with Boston Globe architecture critic Robert Campbell?

I thought it was one of the best talks I've ever heard. Hopefully it will be posted online.

Whatever Happened to Modernity? Daniel Solomon, co-founder of CNU, will build on the special address by discussing contentious design issues. In the United Kingdom, as in the United States, New Urbanism is pinned in the crossfire of style wars. On one side are jihadists who regard the entire modern world as cultural nihilism; on the other are critics and powerful institutions relentlessly embracing novelty in the name of an historically ordained modernity. Between these extremes, New Urbanism steers an unsteady course, snipped at from all directions.

The situation is made more intractable by the Germanic strain of modernism that infected the teaching of architecture and town planning. However, other, more useful modernist traditions infuse cultural phenomena such as fashion, dance and music with different historiography and different conceptions of the relationship of the tenses: past, present, future, and future perfect.

Anyone hear Dan Solomon's talk at the end last night called "Whatever Happened to Modernity?" along with Boston Globe architecture critic Robert Campbell?

I hope it gets posted somewhere too, I'd really like to read that. I love the way the British have been able to mix modernism with their historic cities to make places that are vibrant and livable. And not just modernism in building design, but moderism at all levels of design. Scandinavia has done it even better. We should be looking to Scandinavia to take moderism back from the Germanic strain.

Check out some of these threads in the European section:

Trondheim, Norway

[url=http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21118]

I think there is a pretty good chance they will post a video or audio of it online but I could also summarize it if anyone wants since I took some notes.

Campbell will probably write about it in his next column.

I highly reccommend Solomon's book "Global City Blues" which discusses many issues similar to those in the talk, I just bought it today.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived