Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GvilleSC

CONSTRUCTION THREAD: JL Mann High School

Construction has finally started on the new JL Mann High School. I thought a thread might be in order since the location is in such a booming area-- Behind St. Joseph's High School, Adjacent to the Global Trade Park and The Millenium Campus, and a short walk from ICAR! It's going to be a BEAUTIFUL building when completed. I'll get some pictures soon and post them!

The architect wanted to design a modern building, but the teachers and staff weren't about to let that happen. It will be a traditional-style, red brick building.

You know, we could really stand to have a thread covering construction of ALL of the Greenville County Schools that are under construction, re-construction, or renovation. There are dozens and dozens of them.

What are they doing to the old JL Mann? Tearing it down and selling the site for single-family housing?

They haven't really decided yet that we know of and my family lives in the neighborhood right there. So, we have high interest in this matter. We're hoping for them to sell it to a developer who will develop quality single-family homes that will fit in with the neighborhood. It's zoned single family residential right now. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

I glad to hear it will be beautiful, because the new Wade Hampton is a disgrace of architecture, at least what I have seen of it.

Agreed. It is just dreadful. It looks like the detention center. Just terrible.

I went by the other day and the school is actually going vertical. Just another construction project along 85 (thought not visible from the interstate). The amount of construction workers in this immediate area is amazing. Mann, ICAR, Millenium Campus, The Point... wow

Here's what's going on at the new JL Mann High site:

This will be the front I believe, facing Fair Forest Way:

random014.jpg

This project should be nearing completion, I believe. Doug Young (a friend of mine and the sculptor who created the famous "Shoeless" Joe Jackson statue in the West End) has created a life-size statue of a Revolutionary War patriot, which will eventually be placed in front of the school's main entrance. You may still find it waiting in his Art Crossing at RiverPlace studio. :)

This project should be nearing completion, I believe. Doug Young (a friend of mine and the sculptor who created the famous "Shoeless" Joe Jackson statue in the West End) has created a life-size statue of a Revolutionary War patriot, which will eventually be placed in front of the school's main entrance. You may still find it waiting in his Art Crossing at RiverPlace studio. :)