Aloft Hotel

Florida

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

Good news, as of 6.25.07 Tally is definitely on the list of confirmed cities to get an Aloft hotel. You can read about it here on this pdf file along w/the list of confirmed cities.

Aloft press release

Also here is their updated website:

Aloft

I was looking on UP at other city forums and notice that a few of them were wishing that they could get an Aloft. So that speaks well of Tally that we are on their list of the first 50. Based on my knowledge, we are one of the smallest metros on the list to get one. I hope our slow permitting process or the rampant NIMBY's in town don't fudge this one up.

This is real a shot of energy and style our downtown desperately needs.

Great find poonther! I had basically given up on this project and I'm glad to hear there is still hope for it. I wonder if it will still be in the same location and look the same as it did in the rendering next to the Floridan.

This is one project that has been safe all along. There has never been a snag on this project, and it has been moving quite smoothly through permitting and city negotiations.

I've been told the developer is spending more of the effort trying to lease/sell space in the Floridan. With competing office projects coming online around this same time, (1) the Alliance building on Monroe, and (2) the Florida Retail Federation Office Tower next to city hall, have made planning for the Floridan difficult. But ultimately I believe both buildings will rise, although I truly only think that parcel is big enough for this hotel.

Good news about the safety of this project TJ. Funny that you bring up the space issue b/c every time go by there, I think to myself "how are they gonna fit two big projects on this parcel?"

Are they still planning to do the hotel first and then wait for the Floridan? I'd really like the Floridan to be built b/c it will be a prominient gateway bldg. into our downtown even if it doesn't have much height.

Also I get a little grumpy every time I ride past the old BP site that Booth has for sale. Which is often since I live just behind there. Why in the world did they allow them to leave those two vacant signs at this site? One of the most prominent intersections in Tally and we've got two hollow dead and abandoned signs to welcome you. Tacky tacky tacky. It's not like the new builders would use those old signs anyway. I know that the sign code allows vacant signs if the bldg. is vacant, but surely that can't apply to a an empty parcel?

TJ, who do you suggest that I call on this matter over at COT and that look into it and get some action done? Surely COT can't be proud of that mess either?

This may not have anything to do with anything, but Starwood is supposedly moving their HQ to Atlanta, as it is the city with the most Starwood hotels outside of NYC. That MAY have something to do w/ the surge of Starwood hotels coming up in Tally (Aloft, and 4 Points) as well as the rest of Florida.

Good news about the safety of this project TJ. Funny that you bring up the space issue b/c every time go by there, I think to myself "how are they gonna fit two big projects on this parcel?"

Are they still planning to do the hotel first and then wait for the Floridan? I'd really like the Floridan to be built b/c it will be a prominient gateway bldg. into our downtown even if it doesn't have much height.

Also I get a little grumpy every time I ride past the old BP site that Booth has for sale. Which is often since I live just behind there. Why in the world did they allow them to leave those two vacant signs at this site? One of the most prominent intersections in Tally and we've got two hollow dead and abandoned signs to welcome you. Tacky tacky tacky. It's not like the new builders would use those old signs anyway. I know that the sign code allows vacant signs if the bldg. is vacant, but surely that can't apply to a an empty parcel?

TJ, who do you suggest that I call on this matter over at COT and that look into it and get some action done? Surely COT can't be proud of that mess either?

COT should get a slice of the old BP lot for a turn lane onto monroe... That would increase the productivity of that intersection and possibly apply some useful decongestant.

I really could see major improvements all over that side of DT. There are all the flat parking lots east of monroe that really look devoid of potential

I am pleased that this project seems to be coming to reality. The render seems interesting but I'll reserve judgment till I actually see it as we all know how much renders tell us about what we actually receive. What exactly is this village by adar building?

The Village by ADAR project was proposed as affordable downtown student condo/housing when introduced. ADAR has been quite slippery as of late with trying to give the impression of a project without the actual intent to construct anything. I feel bad because I actually played a part in helping them get their Urban PUD designation when they came before the city commission a few years ago with the Symphony component of their project, and I spoke as a citizen in support (FSU against). At that time, the condo-boom had not yet hit in Florida and downtown was just starting to see a bit of activity with the Tennyson under construction. The Village was supossed to be a more affordable Condominium complex, whereas all of the others were to be Luxury. Driving a hammer into plans to build the Village, was the College Park Commons which is a project that may still materialize pending inclusion into the Downtown CRA and some resolution on its Sewage/Stormwater mitigation issues.

As far as the Aloft is concerned. I looked at the Cite again this weekend and it really appears to be large enough for only the hotel, despite the site plan that shows the footprint for all structures on the site. I think McKibbon Hotel group, may have had good intentions when they proposed the office building, but they are Hotel developers and probably don't know how to make the office component work. Additionally, they don't have any local ties, so they've hired the Henree Martin group to recruit their tenants which may not be the best move considering the fact that this firm has had limited experience bringing quality tenants into downtown Tallahassee, especially for an office building such as this.

I expect to see the Hotel take off in good time, but the office tower I'm crossing my fingers about.

Additionally, they don't have any local ties, so they've hired the Henree Martin group to recruit their tenants which may not be the best move considering the fact that this firm has had limited experience bringing quality tenants into downtown Tallahassee, especially for an office building such as this.

Oh yeah.

And look at their development at Tennessee and Capital Circle. No more than your everystreet-street-in-Tallahassee stuff, Walgreens, Zaxbys, Applebees! Some major redevelopment that was. <_<

I'm not trying to be hard on them, but McKibbon chose the wrong local group to represent them. Perhaps a partnership with Rick Kearney would have been beneficial, or perhaps they could have turned to Talcor or Southland Commercial, they have a stronger history of filling office space downtown. Look at the Alliance building project represented by Talcor, their space is full, and that building isn't all that attractive. But how nice it will be to see that space along Monroe street occupied by something other than dark broken windows and spider webs.

I think the Aloft would look great on this Tennessee St and Monroe Parcel by itself (kinda as seen in the renderings posted previously). And across from it on the BP parcel, the proposed office tower would look nice there.

I wish i had the financial worth to put you in charge!!!

That would be the best thing, with a larger hotel! Tennessee street has a couple lots that would make drastic impressions on the feel for tally. That BP is an important one.

So how far has the project gotten? Is it still just an idea they have or can we expect some more news to avalanche our way!

Heres the latest scoop.....

Hotel is definately being built with parking structure, and The Floridan should be coming also.. but not at first., floridan has to pull new permits and should come about a year later than hotel...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally some movement on this project again. It comes before COT DRC on 11.26

TYPE B SITE PLAN

1. 2.

The Floridan Downtown (TSP060073) located on 2.43 acres at 102 East Call Street. The proposed project is for the construction of a 165-room hotel, 90,000 square feet of office condominiums and 13,700 square feet of retail and restaurant space. The site is zoned PUD (Planned Unit Development). This item continued from the 10/05/06 meeting.

Approval_____ Denial______ Continued to_________

PROJECT COORDINATOR: Northwest Team (891-7100)

Tax I.D. # 21-36-40-137-3715

Agent: Moore Bass Consulting, Inc.

• 1 month later...

Archived