Downtown hotel rooms

krazeeboi

Is there any way to tell the occupancy rates of downtown hotels in SC cities? Like an average for the downtown area?

That would be very interesting information to see, but I suspect that would be very hard to get. I can say that Spartanburg does fairly well with its hotel (they are booked up during almost any event in Spartanburg), but being the only one it gets a lot of press for its success. I suspect that as we gain more it will be less important news for the paper to cover.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very roughly, this is what I came up with for Charleston,. This does not include B&Bs, and I left out a lot of the "inns" because I could not find numbers for them...

Great list Infinite! If these are only DT hotels, the list is pretty accurate. However, you're missing one DT hotel, and I'd also include the hotels directly across from DT in West Ashley. They practically sit on the Ashley River and also provide accomodations for DT visitors. You might want to add these to your list:

Courtyard Marriott Downtown/Riverview: 171

Holiday Inn Charleston-Riverview: 180

Residence Inn Downtown/Riverview: 119

SpringHill Suites Downtown/Riverview: 123

La Quinta Inn Charleston Riverview: 178

Great list Infinite! If these are only DT hotels, the list is pretty accurate. However, you're missing one DT hotel, and I'd also include the hotels directly across from DT in West Ashley. They practically sit on the Ashley River and also provide accomodations for DT visitors. You might want to add these to your list:

Courtyard Marriott Downtown/Riverview: 171

Holiday Inn Charleston-Riverview: 180

Residence Inn Downtown/Riverview: 119

SpringHill Suites Downtown/Riverview: 123

La Quinta Inn Charleston Riverview: 178

I'd say that's stretching it. I've stayed in several of those hotels^^^ and you don't feel apart of downtown at all.

But, if we shall, then I'd say add Greenville's midtown hotels to Greenville's list. They service downtown visitors.

I'd say that's stretching it. I've stayed in several of those hotels^^^ and you don't feel apart of downtown at all.

But, if we shall, then I'd say add Greenville's midtown hotels to Greenville's list. They service downtown visitors.

Granted, you're not in the middle of the historic district, but these hotels mostly serve DT tourists. I've actually stayed at the La Quinta when it was known as a Hampton Inn, and you could see all of DT and the marina. You have to at least include the Holiday Inn Riverview since it provides some of the best views of the city anywhere. The Courtyard is definitely on the peninsula, so there's no debating that it should be on the list.

• 1 month later...

Greenville is getting a new hotel (rumor has it it's a DoubleTree) downtown (unsure of exact number of rooms), and Columbia is getting two hotels downtown, one to have 120-140 rooms and an extended-stay hotel with 93 rooms (brands yet to be announced).

Greenville is getting a new hotel (rumor has it it's a DoubleTree) downtown (unsure of exact number of rooms), and Columbia is getting two hotels downtown, one to have 120-140 rooms and an extended-stay hotel with 93 rooms (brands yet to be announced).

And in Greenville, three new hotels are coming to The Point, with at least another one possible at the upscale Magnolia Park Town Center. Talk is that there are about three different developers looking to build hotels in downtown. Obviously, they won't all happen overnight though.

• 4 months later...

I think Columbia doesn't have enough downtown hotel rooms. Especially for a city this size with a large university and several other colleges (football games, b-ball games, graduations, etc easily fill up hotels), a fairly new convention center, the largest arena in the state, and a world class zoo to name a few. The continued development of innovista will also bring more mettings and visitors.

Bo Aughtry is a big Greenville booster. His statements were refuted in the next paragraph of the article in The State.

Who refuted the "biased" statements by Aughtry, you ask? Columbia's mayor, clearly an objective and unbiased source of information! :rofl:

Honestly, why would Bo Aughtry be a "Greenville booster" when he is the developer of the Columbia Hilton?!? If anything, his comments should carry some weight since he obviously did his research on the Columbia market before starting construction on the Hilton.

Of course, if Aughtry's comments about Columbia were glowing I am sure we wouldn't be having this discussion. ;)

Since I'm not in the hotel industry, I wouldn't know if his comments are off or not, but I think that Columbia is in a pretty good position now for what they have and for what's coming. In either case, the CVB will have to pick up the pace in luring more conventions to the city.

Who refuted the "biased" statements by Aughtry, you ask? Columbia's mayor, clearly an objec!ive and unbiased source of information! :rofl:

Honestly, why would Bo Aughtry be a "Greenville booster" when he is the developer of the Columbia Hilton?!? If anything, his comments should carry some weight since he obviously did his research on the Columbia market before starting construction on the Hilton.

Of course, if Aughtry's comments about Columbia were glowing I am sure we wouldn't be having this discussion. ;)

He's a Greenville home boy.

No I think Aughtry is right. Don't assume its a bias just becuase you do't like what it says. You guys know that I've been saying the same thing for a while, ad I sitll think its the case. I may not be an authority, but I'm certainly more neutral. Developers always do their research, so I would trust his opinion over the Mayor's, because his is more likely rooted in fact.

Columbia does eed some more hotel rooms downtown, but I think the concern of over building is a legitimate one.

Bo Aughtry is a big Greenville booster. His statements were refuted in the next paragraph of the article in The State.

The fact that Bo is from Greenville has no real impact on why he stated this. He made a similar statement in the Greenville News earlier this year about the downtown Greenville market. Perhaps that is why he does not plan on building a larger hotel here. Naturally, we all love to have a completely positive outlook on the future of our downtowns, so I hope his hesitation proves to be over-cautious in the end. In any case, he does have the data at hand, and has clearly made decisions based on that.

I do think the Columbia market could use one more top tier hotel though. You have the Marriott and the Hilton convention center hotel under construction; the others are really 2nd and 3rd rate hotels. A Hyatt or a Westin would be great; hopefully one will go in the Kline Steel project.

I do think the Columbia market could use one more top tier hotel though. You have the Marriott and the Hilton convention center hotel under construction; the others are really 2nd and 3rd rate hotels. A Hyatt or a Westin would be great; hopefully one will go in the Kline Steel project.

I think the downtown Sheraton will be that hotel you're after for Columbia. It will surely be on par with the Hilton and Marriott (3 star quality), as newer Sheratons are.

Archived