Downtown hotel rooms

krazeeboi

I think Bo Aughtry made that comment not because he's from Greenville necessarily, but because he doesn't want any competition for his newest hotel. His Hampton Inn in the Vista is always booked. I have a hard time getting visiting clients a room there and they often have to book somewhere else.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the downtown Sheraton will be that hotel you're after for Columbia. It will surely be on par with the Hilton and Marriott (3 star quality), as newer Sheratons are.

Yeah, but the one that's coming to Main Street (in the historic Palmetto Building) will be a boutique Sheraton, which seems to serve a specialized niche. A standard Hyatt or Westin has a broader appeal.

I think Bo Aughtry made that comment not because he's from Greenville necessarily, but because he doesn't want any competition for his newest hotel. His Hampton Inn in the Vista is always booked. I have a hard time getting visiting clients a room there and they often have to book somewhere else.

I was thinking the same thing. These new development may take some of his business, so he doesn't want too much competition. I'm sure other developers also do their research and look at the numbers before deciding to build. It's too risky not to.

• 3 months later...

Ok gman, this thread is for DOWNTOWN hotels. The ones serving that would most likely be suburban ones, which we have very specifically said are not intended for this thread. Lets keep this on topic.

Greenville does have one pretty important update that hasn't been mentioned in this thread- the Peacock Hotel. Its going to be a highrise hotel built downtown at Spring & McBee. Not sure how many rooms its supposed to have though.

Ok gman, this thread is for DOWNTOWN hotels. The ones serving that would most likely be suburban ones, which we have very specifically said are not intended for this thread. Lets keep this on topic.

Greenville does have one pretty important update that hasn't been mentioned in this thread- the Peacock Hotel. Its going to be a highrise hotel built downtown at Spring & McBee. Not sure how many rooms its supposed to have though.

... Greenville does an incredible job of attracting big business conventions and seminars downtown on a regular basis. You can see many of the participants walking around enjoying the attractions nearly at all times. The new 5-star Peacock Hotel and Spa, plus the new hotel proposed for the city hall plaza site, along with the recent completion of the Hamton Inn RiverPlace, will only add to this appeal. Good stuff! :shades:

I guess we need to mention the 185-room Hilton hotel in DT Chas which will soon be started after the final BAR approval is obtained. The hotel is causing controversy between preservationist groups, believe it or not. The hotel is to be 10 stories at the northwest corner of Marion Square. One preservationist group has said that the height and appearance will enhance the square among the urban fabric, while another has said it will denigrate the appearance of the park.

Also, across from the park, the Meeting Street Holiday Inn is starting on a 80-room expansion.

On Lockwood Drive, Marriott is set to buy and renovate the Chas Riverview hotel. Renovations should be complete by mid-summer.

I guess we need to mention the 185-room Hilton hotel in DT Chas which will soon be started after the final BAR approval is obtained. The hotel is causing controversy between preservationist groups, believe it or not. The hotel is to be 10 stories at the northwest corner of Marion Square. One preservationist group has said that the height and appearance will enhance the square among the urban fabric, while another has said it will denigrate the appearance of the park.

Its not fair to compare any city to any other with regards to hotel rooms- especially downtown. Every city has a unique situation and reasons for its hotel rooms.

This thread should be a comparison for the sake of comparison and nothing esle. Don't get over analytical about this issue.

• 3 months later...

Has Charleston's Hilton(?) gotten approval yet? I'd like more details. :thumbsup:

Also, a new Courtyard by Marriot downtown Greenville is hoping to start construction in the 4th quarter of 2007. Who knows... this could be our newest hotel addition, if the Peacock doesn't get their soil cleaned up faster...

Archived