Britt Way Commons

blburton

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Respond back if you love the mall :rofl:

I

It's a mall, it's a place to buy things I guess. It's not somewhere I like to spend time, infact you could say I ahte being there really. <_< I avoid it as much as possible but go when I have to and it does serve a purpose. I wish planners, developers and above all consumers would start to seek a more centrally located retail venue, redeveloping the central cities. Not blasting the Triad here it's as bad or nearly as bad all over the country. Hell even in South Philly, which is a very urban and dense area, there's crappy sprawling big box stores. Sooo, I guess it's good to hear the Triad is getting what it needs* and maybe the country will come to its senses.

*This is actually quite debatable as there is already a glut of retail in the country. But ya know what I mean. ;)

The new mall will add development between south elm-eugene and Mt Hope Church Road...Speeding up the day Burlington and Greensboro meet up for better or worse. I hope the shopping center is similar to Briar Creek with a very diverse tenant mix with a movie theatre. These days it seem developers are hitting the repeat button on all the open air shopping centers...Target,Best Buy, Dicks, Bed Bath and Beyond...

The new mall will add development between south elm-eugene and Mt Hope Church Road...Speeding up the day Burlington and Greensboro meet up for better or worse. I hope the shopping center is similar to Briar Creek with a very diverse tenant mix with a movie theatre. These days it seem developers are hitting the repeat button on all the open air shopping centers...Target,Best Buy, Dicks, Bed Bath and Beyond...

Unfortunately they don't have that many options. It's just the way our economy is set up - it favors a small # of big megachains rather than small privately owned businesses. Even some of the most well-meaning developers in the end, have to go along with the status quo.

Unfortunately they don't have that many options. It's just the way our economy is set up - it favors a small # of big megachains rather than small privately owned businesses. Even some of the most well-meaning developers in the end, have to go along with the status quo.

There are choices to be made for better development. Most developers and municipalities choose not to make them- to pursue a "short nickel" rather than a "long dime."

There are too many examples of things being done right in other places. Visit Cool Town Studios blog every day and you'll see what I mean. The problem with this type of development is that most of it will be tired-looking and worthless in 10-15 years.

There are choices to be made for better development. Most developers and municipalities choose not to make them- to pursue a "short nickel" rather than a "long dime."

There are too many examples of things being done right in other places. Visit Cool Town Studios blog every day and you'll see what I mean. The problem with this type of development is that most of it will be tired-looking and worthless in 10-15 years.

Interesting website

The problem with this type of development is that most of it will be tired-looking and worthless in 10-15 years.

Some malls end up renovating and do just fine from their original contemporary design. What may be worthless to you but to tens and thousands of shoppers, the mall is what brings everyone together.

That Cool Town Studios website is great. When I think of amazing open air shopping, I think of the Grove in LA. It's on the top 3 list of places to shop, see, and be seen. It really is like it's own little city. I understand it's a bit high end because it's in LA, but the idea is one that should be emulated. The Villages at North Elm has got the right idea, I think.

The Grove

Ok, now i'm thinking Britt Way Commons might be more like Providence MarketPlace in Mt. Juliet, TN... rather than St. John's Town Center in Jax

http://www.crosland.com/retail/properties/...ce_marketplace/

ProvMPParcels.jpg

And building off of that and being strictly theoretical here is kind of what i'm envisioning

theoretical7qx.jpg

I'm thinking Best Buy would probably end up being Hhgreg.

Neat ideas cantnot. I think the area could do without a Target since Wal-Mart is right across the street, but looking at Wendover, one could argue that one. Nordstrom or Saks may be good, but I don't know if the demographics in that area would support it... then again, once 85/40/840 is complete from Bryan Blvd. to Hwy 70, hopping on the interstate to shop at those retailers wouldn't be too horrible. I think this mall is the opportunity for the Triad to have something new and different.

thanks. Nordstrom or Saks could not survive at this location, if either comes to the Triad, they would more than likely locate in northwest Greensboro because it is the highest income area in the triad (technically Iriving Park is)

I agree, and I would even go as far to say those stores may need a regional location between Greensboro and Winston.

But Brittway Commons could at the very least get a Hechts or Belks. A multiplex theater may be built here too.

I agree, and I would even go as far to say those stores may need a regional location between Greensboro and Winston.

But Brittway Commons could at the very least get a Hechts or Belks. A multiplex theater may be built here too.

Yeah possibly a Hecht's or Belk.

Right now Guilford County has

3 - Belk

2 - Hecht's

2 - Dillard's

2 - Sears

2 - JC Penney

• 2 weeks later...

Archived