Grand Blanc retail questions

TenPoundHammer

I hope this isn't too off topic, seeing as Grand Blanc is a suburb of Flint, and my grandmother lives in Grand Blanc.

I have been reading about the various retail developments in Grand Blanc - Grand Blanc Town Center, Trillium Circle, something downtown, and a Meijer on Holly Road. Could someone please fill me in on these? Specifically:

1. What happened with Trillium Circle? As far as I know, the only thing there is the theater. Is anything else ever going to come?

2. What was the downtown development going to comprise? And what is there now?

3. What is planned for the strip mall that would be going in next to Trillium? (Grand Blanc Town Center I think)

4. Did Meijer's plans fall through?

5. While not quite Grand Blanc, what about the Costco and Lowe's proposed at the SE corner of Hill and US-23?

Personally, I would like to see some improvements in Grand Blanc; I'll mention these in a later post.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't live there anymore, so I'll answer the questions as well as I possibly can.

1. The rest of it will come later. When? I don't know, but construction on the rest of it will be going on for some time.

2. The downtown development is pretty much dead. The city can't seem to get any of the stores they want to build on the new street that they opened up.

3. There's a strip mall planned to go next to Trillium? I thought it was all Trillium.

4. Meijer has really been hurt by the opening of the new Sprawlmart (which I am told is downright massive - but I haven't been by there since the land was still woods). According to my mother, both the Hill Road Meijer & the Center Road Meijer are absolutely dead when she goes shopping on Saturday mornings now. The Meijer at Holly & Baldwin was proposed over 2 years ago, but I haven't heard anything about it in probably 6 months now. I think the project is dead, or at least on hold.

5. I've never heard of this development.

I know I read about Colony Market closing and selling their land to Trillium Circle.

Bobjgumby, I looked at your myspace site and it say's your 27, any chance you know one of my cousins, being as how the Creek is so huge, Micheal, Arin or Tess Shepard?

3. There's a strip mall planned to go next to Trillium? I thought it was all Trillium.

I meant next to the Wal-Mart complex, not next to Trillium. Supposedly, a strip anchored by MC Sports was gonna open up next to the Wal-Mart complex.

And the downtown development - that was just going to be retail on a new street, right? Where specifically in GB is this?

I don't know of plans to build an MC Sporting Goods next to the Walmart, but again, I don't live in GB anymore, so I don't really know what's going on back there.

The downtown development was supposed to be the first phase in developing downtown GB as a trendy place to be (basically trying to create a downtown out of nothing). While residents say that they support the development, it's been a total flop so far. There is a lot of good info here: http://cityofgrandblanc.com/downtown_plans.html

Archived