New library open - Bristol, TN-VA

Finally the new Bristol public library is now open. It has been a welcomed update to our city. I personally have not been in it yet, but plan to very soon. I drive by daily and it is very nice.

Here are "progress photos" of the new building being built. You can see the old library in the photos as well. They actually built "around" the old building (although I thought it was torn down). I think they gutted it, where it was really nothing but the structure. Also in these photos, you can see some good photos of downtown Bristol in the backgrounds:

http://www.burwil.com/index.cgi?CONTEXT=ar...SKIT=1149635420

and here is the official website of the library:

http://www.bristol-library.org/index.cgi?BISKIT=1149635420

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure will. Seems like the latest news here about changing downtown is that they are talking about cutting all of the trees in front of the downtown buildings, because the merchants are claiming that they are blocking their signs. Currently, Bradford Pears there if I am correct. I think that if they were currently not in full bloom and already leafing out that people would not be as cross, but they look good now. Downtown will look dismal if they cut these trees. They are going to plant more, but said they will plant smaller trees. What happens when they get tall? :rolleyes:

I am glad to see that there are a few things happening up there. That's a great looking library. Keep us informed on anything else happening there.

Every time there is a new regime in office of any city then someone has to come along a bugger everything up. I hope they come to their senses. I am sure most people know where those stores are and really dont care of they see the signs at all. If they really want to do good then make them take the signs down.

I agree. Seems as if now some tempers are starting to flare. Here is a link to a writeup in one of the local newspapers:

Sometimes it takes a few seconds for it to open:

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/news...03-31-0054.html

Every time there is a new regime in office of any city then someone has to come along a bugger everything up. I hope they come to their senses. I am sure most people know where those stores are and really dont care of they see the signs at all. If they really want to do good then make them take the signs down.

Having beautiful trees will actually bring people to an area, and maybe would attract more people thyan the signs they cover. If they are Bradford Pears, the city does have a dilema. These are gorgeous blossoming tress and turn beautiful colors in the fall, but they have short lives and branches can easily break when they become mature. Evidently these trees are now mature, and these shortcomings will begin to manifest themselves pretty soon. If I had a say in this, I would suggest that nothing be done until the dying, breakin process begins. Once that has started, replace them all in a short period of time. The type of tree should be more hardy, relatively small, and beautiful, of course.

I agree. Replace them as needed. I think they should have thought about this anyway beforehand. Now that the trees have lost their blooms and fully leafed out, I think they may have an easier time convincing them about these trees, but I doubt it. They are still nice looking even when leafed out.

Here is a photo of the trees in question that are leafed out in this photo that I took late last September (2005). Good thing about these trees is that they are early bloomers and keep their leaves late in the year. Typically, they are "leafless" here only in December thru February.

BristolStateSt.jpg

I can see businesses might not like them, as they do obstruct to some degree the facade signage of those structures in most cases it would appear. The planting of shorter trees that might not grow as tall does seem like the solution of choice, as no trees at all would be a terrible thing for the landscaping of downtown IMO.

If those are Bradford pear trees, they're absolutely huge! I think the street looks great with them, but I too can see why the business owners might not like them. When they are replaced I think a smaller variety would definitely be better.

Yeah, I went through downtown the other day down that street, just to see what the fuss was all about and I agree, they do block alot of the signage, but like someone locally mentioned, most all of the locals know what all of those shops are anyway, but we get a very large number of out of towners visiting the downtown area- what, with all of the antique shops and theaters, so I am sure many of them are unaware.

Yeah, I agree, they are rather large Bradford Pear trees. Best I recall, they have only been there for about 10 years or so. They grow rather quickly it seems. They are again at their glory and fully leafed out with new leaves - all of the few remaining blooms were ripped off in last nights severe thunderstorms that roared through the metro area. :blink:

If those are Bradford pear trees, they're absolutely huge! I think the street looks great with them, but I too can see why the business owners might not like them. When they are replaced I think a smaller variety would definitely be better.

Well, to update- I went through downtown again today (with the trees fully leafed out) and now that I looked more closely, they really do not seem to be blocking the signage, except for the higher signs on the taller buildings. If you notice the trees on the first set of photos of "Photos of Bristols" thead by PHofKS, you will notice that the branches on most trees are higher than most of the signage and it is basically the same way on down the street that is not visible in the photos.

I like the idea of just replacing them as they break.

Archived