Marvin Greenway

DigitalSky

Basically the town of Marvin, near Weddington, is planning on building four parks and seven greenways that will all connect, totaling 15 miles of greenway and 90 acres of park space.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/14180409.htm

"We want to be able to differentiate ourselves from other communities with our parks and recreation facilities," Mayor Mike Cognac said.

The village in the upcoming weeks will begin looking for a consultant to iron out the drafts that Marvin's seven-member Parks, Greenways & Recreation Advisory Board have developed.

In the meantime, that board has begun working to secure land for the draft's southernmost greenway: a two-mile stretch starting behind the Sedgefield neighborhood that heads south across Waxhaw-Marvin Road to the state line. It will vary in width from possibly 3 to 30 feet.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its a wonderful idea. Kudos to Marvin for trying to be proactive and make their town stand out as a model for responsible growth and healthy living. Unfortunately the final result may be a rather phyrric victory if the neighboring communities don't cooperate and swamp the overall area with endless sprawl.

I hope they find a way to connect it to some of the greenways planned in Mecklenburg county. I know and work with many who are avid cyclists and would very seriously consider a bike commute if it were easier. Even if not as a commute, connecting an extensive system of greenways allows for a lot of leisure and exercise opportunities that help build a positive reputation for this region. I'm glad Union is starting to make plans now before the whole place is covered with development.

Marvin is a rather dumb community to put it lightly. Residents and leaders want to brand it as an upscale equestrian community, complete with horse themed neighborhoods. This all while every possible tract of land is gobbled up for development. You just cant have both, and development wins over pastures in the end

Archived