Club Diesel - Downcity

Dan

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My home metro of Grand Rapids has to be close to number one safest metro overall for metros with over one million in population, when looking at both crime statistics and weather disaster statistics.

Morgan Quitno Press ranks Grand Rapids 8th safest for crime for metros with over 1,000,000 in population.

Risk and Insurance Magazine ranks Grand Rapids 7th safest for weather for metros with over 1,000,000 in population.

Safest 1,000,000+ Population Metros for Crime

Rank Metro								 

1  Monmouth-Ocean, NJ				   

2  Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon, NJ	

3  Bergen-Passaic, NJ				  

4  Orange County, CA					

5  Pittsburgh, PA					   

6  San Jose, CA						

7  Rochester, NY						

8  Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland, MI	

9  Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI		  

10  Providence-Fall River-Warwick, RI-MA
Safest 1,000,000+ Population Metros for Weather
Rank Metro

1  Sacramento, Calif.

2  Phoenix, Ariz.

3  Rochester, N.Y.

4  Columbus, Ohio

5  Buffalo, N.Y.

6  Cincinnati, Ohio

7  Grand Rapids, Mich.

8  San Diego, Calif.

9  Pittsburgh, Pa.

10  Hartford, Conn.

Pittsburgh is the only other metro on both lists...

Seems like Providence metro is pretty safe. Anyways, I wish I could (or we) do something as far as this goes to make the decision more reasonable, because I have a feeling that it will not be a fair outcome. But I also have a feeling that teenagers like myself will have no impact if I showed up at a hearing. Is it open to public discussion?

Seems like Providence metro is pretty safe.

Wow, great news to be that highly ranked!

Off topic, I thought this was interesting...

9 Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI

?? I think many people in the Twin Cities would find it more than a bit humorous to think that someone included Wisconsin in their metro :blink: .

Back to Club Diesel discussion!

- Garris

http://www.myspace.com/dieselri

followed by Louie Devito, Dj Sammy, Chris Cox, DJ Skribble, lots of good names!!!!

HEY lets close down this club! It does NOTHING for Providence :)

You guys should already know that hip hop and urban music have a bad name to those who don't appreciate it, especially among the demographic that tends to run city government. I hope they don't shut this club down, I want to check it out when I get around to visiting Prov.

You guys should already know that hip hop and urban music have a bad name to those who don't appreciate it, especially among the demographic that tends to run city government. I hope they don't shut this club down, I want to check it out when I get around to visiting Prov.

It's not really hip-hop, but dance music.

I think many people in the Twin Cities would find it more than a bit humorous to think that someone included Wisconsin in their metro

- Garris

Heh... that's the kind of talk to get the CT board riled up. If Hartford and New Haven were considered one metro (they absolutely should), they'd be #18 in gross metropolitan product. The others there think Springfield should also be included since it's 25 miles from the capitol. Add Springfield, which I think is isolated and if anything linked to Boston, and it's up to 15th. It's all tied to their wish to see the Whalers come back...

Back on topic, there hasn't been much in the papers recently about this. Is this nonsense about closing the club petering out or is there some sort of meeting or timeline already in place? I like the idea of trying to model the area after Rue St Catherine, though I'm not sure if puritanical RI would put up with something akin to Super Sexe right in an upscale neighborhood. I'm not educated in the matter, but I can't help but believe that if you build up downcity as a 24 hour multipurpose destination and a generally fun place to be, Providence's reputation, and population, will grow big time. Lupos cannot be closed down if downcity is to continue to thrive.

Back on topic, there hasn't been much in the papers recently about this. Is this nonsense about closing the club petering out or is there some sort of meeting or timeline already in place? I like the idea of trying to model the area after Rue St Catherine, though I'm not sure if puritanical RI would put up with something akin to Super Sexe right in an upscale neighborhood. I'm not educated in the matter, but I can't help but believe that if you build up downcity as a 24 hour multipurpose destination and a generally fun place to be, Providence's reputation, and population, will grow big time. Lupos cannot be closed down if downcity is to continue to thrive.

lupo's is more important to the city than diesel. we already have a ton of dance/hip hop clubs. we don't have enough places like lupo's. the call closed already, so the places that bring bigger name bands are lupo's, the centry lounge, and the living room (which is a dump). other than that, there's not much for a decent music scene anymore... why are they all closing?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From the projo.com blog

Club Diesel keeps license, but is penalized

PROVIDENCE -- The city Board of Licenses ruled this afternoon that the city did not provide enough evidence to prove the Club Diesel was a

I'm no fan of Club Diesel with that said I am only speaking of Club Diesel and not lupo's

ok, that's undersatndable. i, too, would have had no problem with diesel getting in trouble, but you do realize that if they lose the license, lupo's does as well, right?

diesel also practically promotes underage drinking.

only girls ... it's one of those under 21 girls allowed to attract more of the only 21 and over guys they let in...

There are worse places in Providence. The bar never carded, neither did Remis. Others were hit or miss, at least for me.

only girls ... it's one of those under 21 girls allowed to attract more of the only 21 and over guys they let in...

There are worse places in Providence. The bar never carded, neither did Remis. Others were hit or miss, at least for me.

the worst bar is babylon, the girls in there look about 14 drinking, it is ridiculous. Babylon was my only and worst "nightclub" experience.

Archived