Club Diesel - Downcity

Dan

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember drinking at Remi's when I was 16 haha. I like Diesel, but only on certain nights when it's not a skank fiesta. Then again, sometimes I feel like every club in Providence is a skank fiesta.

Even if they close them down, won't someone just move right back into the space? so essentially its just the same people who will go, with the same problems?

not if it became solely lupos.

He doesn't want to put that much effort, he bearly runs the place now, he is always out traveling, and he even said about a year ago he is trying to decide to give it up or not. I said in a nother topic, I know Rich my friend is neighbors with him, and we go the photography at his shows, and since he got married he doesn't even want to deal with it. So I think unless he sells lupo's or diesel stays he won't do it, because its too much mith upkeep and everytyhing

• 1 month later...

Providence Night Life

Ari Heckman, a development associate at Providence-based Cornish Associates, said his company believes a balance can be struck.

Cornish has developed mixed-use projects in Providence and elsewhere. Over the years, the company has received complaints about clubs downtown, particularly Diesel and places that

Many cities are having this problem. Seattle recently revoked the liquor liscense of a place having too many problems. A place in Portland had a bunch of shootings and is now gone. There was that article about that area in DC as well. Everywhere I bet.

Many cities are having this problem. Seattle recently revoked the liquor liscense of a place having too many problems. A place in Portland had a bunch of shootings and is now gone. There was that article about that area in DC as well. Everywhere I bet.

i don't consider anything that happens on teh city streets to be a problem of the club/bar. the city wants to blame diesel for the problems outside the building, when they can't prove that those involved were ever in the club. now if there's a fight inside or rampant underage drinking, the place should lose the license, but on a strike basis... first offense is a hefty fine, second is a fine along with reduced hours, and third is a complete loss of the license.

• 1 month later...

I have heard rumors that the owner, Kent, is trying to dump all his properties downtown (I'm pretty sure he owns the Complex and maybe one or two other clubs). Perhaps with the ongoing rebirth of Westminster, the condo developments, and just the general, new, upbeat atmosphere in Providence, he sees the writing on the wall for his clubs.

I have heard rumors that the owner, Kent, is trying to dump all his properties downtown (I'm pretty sure he owns the Complex and maybe one or two other clubs). Perhaps with the ongoing rebirth of Westminster, the condo developments, and just the general, new, upbeat atmosphere in Providence, he sees the writing on the wall for his clubs.

The implication being that clubs are only for downbeat atmosphere? I had a lot to say about this but I deleted it in case I'm reading you wrong.

Do you just think Kent is a scumbag? or do you really think there is no room for clubs and that style nightlife in your vision of revitalized Providence?

I imagine the rejuvinated Downcity is making these properties more attractive economically. You can either pour money into them to upgrade them and try to attract more people. Or sell now, let someone else worry about the upgrades, and take the money to Florida.

The implication being that clubs are only for downbeat atmosphere? I had a lot to say about this but I deleted it in case I'm reading you wrong.

Do you just think Kent is a scumbag? or do you really think there is no room for clubs and that style nightlife in your vision of revitalized Providence?

No and yes.

I don't know Kent. I just know that the Providence Police have been hitting his clubs pretty hard. Within the next few years, with more residents downtown, I imagine it will get worse for him (and clubs like his). I was suggesting that he might imagine this too, and is seeking to get out while his clubs are still profitable.

That said, I don't think there is room for clubs like his in a downtown area that I envision. It's just that I'm not a supporter of all-age clubs anywhere. I wish there were more corner bars, clubs (more along the lines of the Black Rep), and local taverns than there are now, but I could do without the 16 year-old driving down from Massachusetts to go to the Complex. If a club wants to have an all-ages night, they shouldn't serve booze. In some places, the all-ages night is safe and efficiently run. For whatever reason, I don't think it is in Providence and I put a lot of the blame on the club owners.

Anyone hear about the drinking age suit in Newport. A family went to a bar, that has dining, but is 21+. Their 18 year old son was forced to leave. The family is suing, claiming that there is nothing in state law that allows an establishment to restrict service to people under 21. Should be interesting.

Anyone hear about the drinking age suit in Newport. A family went to a bar, that has dining, but is 21+. Their 18 year old son was forced to leave. The family is suing, claiming that there is nothing in state law that allows an establishment to restrict service to people under 21. Should be interesting.

What are their damages? That they had to go somewhere else?

I can see the law needing updating, but this seems more like a "letter to state rep" material than "let's see if we can get some civil damages out of this establishment" material.

I hate the litiguous nature of society, but then, it's always been this way.

I hope this thread isn't going to get hijacked with another elitist viewpoint from radical transplants. Variety is the spice of life. That's what makes a city unique and interesting and one of the main reasons that Pvd is still on the upswing......

Archived