Club Diesel - Downcity

Dan

In a business plan submitted to the city, the new owners said they plan to open the club as Roxy Nightclub of Rhode Island for three nights each week, featuring music by famous DJs on Thursday nights, Latin music on Saturday nights and entertainment for the gay community on Sunday nights.

On Friday nights, they would offer live entertainment and nationally known bands or telecast live HBO boxing events.

bah... sounds like while lupo will be running the place, it's only live music one night a week, unless they'll have live music on nights not mentioned here (which still leaves saturday missing music, which they used to do and just end early).

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bah... sounds like while lupo will be running the place, it's only live music one night a week, unless they'll have live music on nights not mentioned here (which still leaves saturday missing music, which they used to do and just end early).

Lupo's is a separate entity from the Roxy, so while this business plan speaks to the Roxy only, Lupo's would be free to book acts and schedule them independently, yeah?

Lupo's is a separate entity from the Roxy, so while this business plan speaks to the Roxy only, Lupo's would be free to book acts and schedule them independently, yeah?

from what it sounds like, the people who own the roxy teamed up with lupo to buy diesel out, making it a joint venture. the article lists 4 stockholders, one of which is lupo, who also happens to be the operations manager (the only one listed). my guess is he'll be in charge of both lupo's and the night club...

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I obviously feel bad for anyone who runs into trouble due to drunk people walking the streets at night... but I really have wanted 4am closing times just to be able to be one of the few places on the east coast to have such a late nightlife. It can only help the city in my eyes

I obviously feel bad for anyone who runs into trouble due to drunk people walking the streets at night... but I really have wanted 4am closing times just to be able to be one of the few places on the east coast to have such a late nightlife. It can only help the city in my eyes

well, it would have the benefit of making downtown safer late at night (more people being there is never a bad thing), the benefit of making providence an attraction (what other northeast cities are open that late besides NYC and maybe philly?), and it would stop the crazy exodus out of the clubs at the same time.

being a person who goes clubbing much and into the whole clubbing scene...i think if RI were to pass a law allowing clubs to stay open late will only add to our overall momentum of providence. Providence will def have an advantage over other cities in the nightlife allowing for more places such as restaurants, lounges, bars, etc. to stay open later, paving the way for a 24-hr city.

that would be a smart idea. however, it sounds like they might be considering it and whoever wrote the editorial is very much in favor of that. i say leave them open until 3am on weekdays and 4am on weekends, but stop serving alcohol at 2am for both. there are people who go out just to get drunk and people who go out and want to have fun, which may or may not include alcohol, but that fun can sometimes go until after they close and it won't matter if they're still drinking or not.

a club in new haven (gotham citi i think) will stay open after the 2am cut off, but stop serving alcohol. it's a pretty popular place.

• 3 months later...

http://thephoenix.com/notfornothing/PermaL...0740dfbee3.aspx

Is anybody here on this forum against a 4 a.m. closing time?? I think in addition to of course making peace with all of the current problems of the a 2.m. closing time, it would be a nice boost for the city and put it in line with NYC, DC, and Miami as far as nightlife hours go.

http://thephoenix.com/notfornothing/PermaL...0740dfbee3.aspx

Is anybody here on this forum against a 4 a.m. closing time?? I think in addition to of course making peace with all of the current problems of the a 2.m. closing time, it would be a nice boost for the city and put it in line with NYC, DC, and Miami as far as nightlife hours go.

if the clubs are properly soundproofed, there won't be as much of an issue. the delayed closing will also prevent the huge mass of people leaving at 2 as people will likely filter out more slowly between 2 and 4 (the ones just there to drink will most likely leave at 2, those there to dance or listen to music will leave when they're tired). so the end result would probably be less noise on the street.

from my understanding the problem isn't so much soundproffing....the problem is that alot of venues (especially the smaller ones) tend to leave their doors open or have frequent patrons that go in and out (cig break, etc...)so music carrys into the streets and up to the residients, also there tends to be people that just love to hang around all the excitment that goes on late night downtown...wether it's 2am or 4am they still love to hang around......I feel that if you stagger the closings threwout the area (love to see the city attempt to pull that off but I still wish them the best of luck.) it might be more successful then an automactic transition to an eventual 4am.

The real solution to this problem would be if clubs ran themselves, I mean all clubs, bars etc...that serve alchol the same way the east village(nyc) does, No BULL#@!!% policy.

Archived