Urban Music Village

GRDadof3

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never mind. I already see El Dubarge on here.

How about these ones:

5 points, clue is Evil Dead.

100 points, clue is Iceland and the letter C. (No way you figure this one out.)

Evil Dead? The 80's movie which was Censored (actaully banned) out of Iceland among other countries? (stared Bruce Campbell of Scotish decent)

That was directed by Franklin Michigan Native Sam Raimi... along with the Spiderman films (released by Sony).. who also happens to be jewish like Minkin, MSU graduate, :whistling: There's more but I'll stop there

Do I get points?

listen to you all. Keep talking like this is a pipe dream. There has to be a reason they picked Grand Rapids. There's lots of good going on here. Everyone keeps going at this with the angle that our region is being done a favor, by a big fan. And while this is a gigantic favor to us and the place we come from. Do you honestly think that an investor would put millions down securing property for something that was pipe dream. Something that "could" happen. No disrespect Hood, I know how it must feel watching these kind of things not happen where you are from. But I just don't think that something like this would be proposed, and all this money spent, just securing property. If someone weren't serious about it. I keep going back to the business side of it. If someone wants to spend that kind of money. It has to make sense.

On the recording side of it. If it were in fact a record company. They could build a huge campus. It would work out perfect. Do you honestly think that all the artists that work for a record label build houses accross the street so they can go to work? NO, they fly in spend a couple weeks recording, and fly out. I can also promise you, that if they wanted to build a "hip-hop" feel. It's not because of all the local hip hop talent. If something like that were built. It would be on a global scale. Our little burg would just be the sounding board for it.

listen to you all. Keep talking like this is a pipe dream. There has to be a reason they picked Grand Rapids. There's lots of good going on here. Everyone keeps going at this with the angle that our region is being done a favor, by a big fan. And while this is a gigantic favor to us and the place we come from. Do you honestly think that an investor would put millions down securing property for something that was pipe dream. Something that "could" happen.

How much do you think actually has been spent? Right now the gem has a flaw.

Evil Dead? The 80's movie which was Censored (actaully banned) out of Iceland among other countries? (stared Bruce Campbell of Scotish decent)

That was directed by Franklin Michigan Native Sam Raimi... along with the Spiderman films (released by Sony).. who also happens to be jewish like Minkin, MSU graduate, :whistling: There's more but I'll stop there

Do I get points?

Yep. But, you forgot that the protagonist was from GR. I think I've already ruled out Raimi, but have fun with that one.

The Iceland clue was for a different piece of the puzzle. It's a confirmed insider on the development team.

His dad still lives in Rockford.

Judges?

Yep. But, you forgot that the protagonist was from GR. I think I've already ruled out Raimi, but have fun with that one.

The Iceland clue was for a different piece of the puzzle. It's a confirmed insider on the development team.

Right, Bruce Campbell is an Western Mich Alumni...

The iceland thing is getting me..

Judges?

The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Official fan Club

PO Box 801, Rockford, MI 49341 USA

Who ran the fan club? Blackie, thats who.

I didn't mean to burn a trump card.

Sorry.

Actually, you guys have got me pretty worried today. Of the dozen or so things that aren't public knowledge, half of them have been spilt in the past day.

I saw a mention of the WOOD TV search for Minkin and Time Warner in February in the other forum. Has anyone compared Project X to Time Warner's new mixed-use facility in Manhattan--I'm not going to look, it'd take a full day--but this would have to be something like that to fit what has been speculated.

And has anyone mentioned Time Warner big dog Ted Turner? There's your Atlanta connection. And does Time Warner own a record company? Hmmm....

I haven't been able to squeeze anything from this, how bout you guys?

And again, you're just not going to figure out the Iceland thing.

Actually, you guys have got me pretty worried today. Of the dozen or so things that aren't public knowledge, half of them have been spilt in the past day.

I saw a mention of the WOOD TV search for Minkin and Time Warner in February in the other forum. Has anyone compared Project X to Time Warner's new mixed-use facility in Manhattan--I'm not going to look, it'd take a full day--but this would have to be something like that to fit what has been speculated.

And has anyone mentioned Time Warner big dog Ted Turner? There's your Atlanta connection. And does Time Warner own a record company? Hmmm....

I haven't been able to squeeze anything from this, how bout you guys?

And again, you're just not going to figure out the Iceland thing.

Yes, there's Warner Music Group. That's one of the big four. The others are Sony, Universal (parent of Interscope) and EMI.

Yes, there's Warner Music Group. That's one of the big four. The others are Sony, Universal (parent of Interscope) and EMI.

Nov 1, 2005

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05305/598726.stm

Harvey and Bob Weinstein's search for investors in their new movie company put them in some unusual situations over the past six months. They wandered around temples in Kyoto, Japan, with Softbank Corp. President Masayoshi Son, holed up in the cook's quarters of a restaurant in Cannes, France, with financier Tarak Ben Ammar, and sped the wrong way down a Manhattan street to meet WPP Group PLC baron Martin Sorrell.

That was the fun part. As their new venture, Weinstein Co., wraps up its $1 billion-plus financing package and prepares to open its first movie -- the thriller "Derailed" -- the hard work begins. The Weinsteins will attempt to prove they can build and operate a disciplined multimedia company at a challenging time for the film industry. Not only is movie attendance slumping amid rising production and marketing costs, but other start-up studios, including DreamWorks SKG, have shown how difficult it is to break into a media business dominated by giants.

Christian Benediktsson = Olaf Olafsson, current Vice Chairman of Time Warner Digital Media, former CEO of Sony Interactive, born in Reykjavik (still holds a residence there)????

Do you honestly think that all the artists that work for a record label build houses accross the street so they can go to work? NO, they fly in spend a couple weeks recording, and fly out.

Spot On !!!

With a Digidesign ICON/Pro Tools set up even with all the bells & whistles, you could build a world-class recording studio in your basement for $350K-$450K. With healthy advance on a project, that's exactly what a lot of folks do...

Wiz-bang gear aside, the reason artists will record at a particular location is local session talent (L.A./NYC) local production talent (L.A./NYC) or frosty drinks with little umbrella in them served beachside (not GR)

Someone brought up the digital factor (i.e. it doesn't matter where you are geographically, do biz via the wire) Very true, but not in the plus column for GR in this kind of endeavuor. As lovely a town as it is, a half-dozen 24hr. Sushi/French/Pan-Asian/Tapas joints it doesn't have. Are there any Luthier's in the area that will take a call at 3:00 am?

Simply doesn't add up as a production center.

Tourist - Performance complex... that's a 'nother matter.

Spot On !!!

With a Digidesign ICON/Pro Tools set up even with all the bells & whistles, you could build a world-class recording studio in your basement for $350K-$450K. With healthy advance on a project, that's exactly what a lot of folks do...

Wiz-bang gear aside, the reason artists will record at a particular location is local session talent (L.A./NYC) local production talent (L.A./NYC) or frosty drinks with little umbrella in them served beachside (not GR)

Someone brought up the digital factor (i.e. it doesn't matter where you are geographically, do biz via the wire) Very true, but not in the plus column for GR in this kind of endeavuor. As lovely a town as it is, a half-dozen 24hr. Sushi/French/Pan-Asian/Tapas joints it doesn't have. Are there any Luthier's in the area that will take a call at 3:00 am?

Simply doesn't add up as a production center.

Tourist - Performance complex... that's a 'nother matter.

I don't think NYC, or even LA had Luthiers on staff 24/7 back when they began their forays into the recording industry either. But thats not the point.

I wonder (and this would make me a WHOLE lot happier with the project) if this might end up being something like a giant data center for recording artists to upload their data to this site, and then the record companies would produce it from there? never needing the artist to leave home? Then added onto this would be a village type center, where there are on site condos, access to ML's strip club (hey, comp sci geeks need a release from time to time :lol:) closeby to a large music venue, maybe a performing center for various artists to come in.

I could see a CD factory, or other media factory for distributing music being built nearby, say in one of Grooter's industrial parks.

GR makes a lot of sense for something like that. It would revolutionize how the industry does business. No need for luthiers or 24/7 sushi bars. Just a lot of dedicated computer science majors ( ;) ) to handle the technology end of the deal making sure connections stay online, someone to take in calls from recording artists stuff like that.

In the future one way the record companies could stay alive is by setting up something like regional studios, or for their bigger names personal in-home studios. Then having one central location to process and interpret all that data, and sending it off to the CD factories (if they even last much longer) or to the various downloadable music websites.

To sum it up:

I'm envisioning a place that never has to have a single artist come in to do his or her work, only takes in what is uploaded to them.

Archived