Urban Music Village

GRDadof3

From Hartwell: "Yes, they have looked at Grand Rapids before with nowhere near the financing commitment or the tenants they have assembled since then," he said.

Is it me or does it suddenly seem that at LA's cocktail parties Grand Rapids is a much talked about city?

Conversation

Woman #1: "hey, are you in on the Grand Rapids project? That city is going national! It's going to be an awesome development, and we're going to make a fortune. You in?"

Guy #1: "Where's Grand Rapids?"

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not denying it's legitimacy at all. In fact, I found it quite interesting. One that would be very hard to make up off the top of your head, if you know what I mean. This person who was asked is a downtown business owner opening a new restaurant on Michigan.

No..noo woops, I ment why is GDC denying this idea.

No..noo woops, I ment why is GDC denying this idea.

Are they denying it? Has anyone asked them if it is Sony? Has anyone asked them any of the questions from today? Have you ever been to a Turkish Prison? Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Hold on, press wire coming through on the other line.....................

Oh snap, I mean this threads' idea, you know the nice little press realease from GDC denying interscope.

They just said that Interscope Records is not involved with this project. That's it, nothing else. No: "This is not a media-related development" or "this is not ANY record company". Know what Am sayin?

I think it is also interesting to note that Motown Record Corporation started in a worn out building in a bad neighborhood in Detroit. By operating at the scale of the neighborhood, with talent scouts throughout the downtown area and small but efficient studios amidst residences, the entire area benefited. They even applied fordist ideas of mass production to streamline the process of multiple artists and many takes of the same track being pared down to a presentable product. Of course, Motown is finished and the building is a museum now

Motown Museum

Such a development is part of the heritage of the state. Maybe something more contemporary and at a larger scale, but similarly structured will program the site?

It would certainly lend itself well to mixed use development. One imagines resident artists and numerous smaller studios. Organizing it would fascinating.

^^Yah, but thats what I mean. Why not say its not the UN, its not Google, but they specificly named Interscope as "not involved." See what I mean? They choose specificly target the notion of Interscope, namely this very detailed idea from The Press. I guess what I'm getting at is that this little Press article could have struck a nerve with someone, or competition(Interscope)?

Well, according to the media elite, there was supposed to be an announcement from Don Hunt on Thursday or Friday, but he pulled the plug at the last minute on the announcement as soon as some of the Interscope talk came up. Strange days indeed...

So how is Jimmy Iovine indirectly involved?

I found it very intersting that the press article explicitly notes that the "developer" is a different entity from the "proposed tenant."

Also, Hunt says, "...any one name or label is not indicative of what the process is." and "We expect the developer and the partners to be making an announcement..."

Sounds like many fingers are (indirectly) in this pie.

I found it very intersting tha the press article explicitly notes that the "developer" is a different entity from the "proposed tenant."

Also, Hunt says, "...any one name or label is not indicative of what the process is." and "We expect the developer and the partners to be making an announcement..."

Sounds like many fingers are (indirectly) in this pie.

Highlighted for effect GRCentro :D What industry uses the word "label"?

Call me crazy, but I think all we really learned the last few days is jack and s**t.

Maybe that's an exaggeration, but I think we have to remember that there isn't much solid information out there regarding this whole thing.

Just tryin' to stay grounded. ;)

I can't imagine something so monolithic as a data drop off center to mass production (in the "produced by" sense) being a new direction in music recording. Production today has taken a turn for the "basement studio" approach, considering new equipment and pro tools have turned numerous basements and living rooms across the nation into nearly professional quality studios. Basically, the economy of scale is being re-broken down by technology and the days of "home based textile looms" may be coming back, in a different way.

However, one might take a cue from the refurbishing of that warehouse to artist colony with gallery space at street level on division as an excellent example of what might be applied to a germinating GR music industry on a larger scale . . .

I think you missed the point of what I was trying to say, You would still have those in-0house record studios, but you would need a giant location to get them sent to. If everything goes digital, an upload center would be the best idea ever. No physical media needed like there is today, only digital.

Although all the bandwidth needed would probably be astronomical to send uncompressed music files through it...

but think of all the po.... I mean valuable information you could download with that bandwidth :lol:

I don't think NYC, or even LA had Luthiers on staff 24/7 back when they began their forays into the recording industry either. But thats not the point.

I'm envisioning a place that never has to have a single artist come in to do his or her work, only takes in what is uploaded to them.

Who has guitar-makers on staff 24/7?

I'm not picturing this concept as being very understanding of the interplay that

takes place between musicians - even between the main player and session players-

that contributes to the energy of the final CD.

Interesting, but cold.

Thats true. I suppose if we're talking about something google/apple related, maybe a form of distribution where individually produced and mastered songs were simply put straight to MP3 and uploaded, bypassing the whole CD distribution scheme altogether, I can get the gist of where you're coming from. Like a big warehouse/free market of individual artists.

Its a cool idea, probably tangent to urban development, but definitely something that should be on Steve Jobs' mind. Of course, his whole apple music store thing hasn't really taken off by offering the same (or lesser) services as free download apps at a price, but the idea of direct artist to distribution via a massive data pipe is tasty.

But now I'm way off topic. More hearsay!

This just in

Developers, trying to evade the Geha, began boring under Grand Rapids to begin construction of the Mystery Project. Mark London was seen (lower left) trying to catch up to the developers with closing paperwork:

117921872_c53f3a0f43.jpg

16 Hour UrbanPlanet

This just in

Developers, trying to evade the Geha, began boring under Grand Rapids to begin construction of the Mystery Project. Mark London was seen (lower left) trying to catch up to the developers with closing paperwork:

16 Hour UrbanPlanet

:rofl:

Who has guitar-makers on staff 24/7?

I'm not picturing this concept as being very understanding of the interplay that

takes place between musicians - even between the main player and session players-

that contributes to the energy of the final CD.

Interesting, but cold.

I don't know aobut lutheirs on staff at 3 AM either, but someone said they are out there.

The move now is to record and final tune at home, then the producer might send someone to pick up the tape, check on their status, etc. Otherwise the producer has little to do with the final product at the end of the day. Its not even all that cold, the model could be the same, producers go visit their bands wherever they record, and then when they are done they send it off to a company to finalize it and get it produced.

Regardless the music industry is getting ever colder as the years go on anyway, this would just be a further extension of that coldness.

Archived