CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Point

g-man430

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The location where Boyles Furniture closed, is now a Drexel / Henredon Gallery store. Not sure if it has had its grand opening yet, but the sign is up and the store looks completely merchandised.

That store was a Drexel Heritage when it first opened up.

• 2 weeks later...

Drove through this area last night and the appts are looking nice. I was surprised how many there are. But I couldn't help thinking about the old Celanese (spelling ?) buiding. It is such an attractive building on the outside and it is just rotting. Since the awesome McChesney project didn't happen, anyone know if there are any other plans or possibilities for this building/parcel? What sort of thing would you like to see go there or happen with the existing building?

Drove through this area last night and the appts are looking nice. I was surprised how many there are. But I couldn't help thinking about the old Celanese (spelling ?) buiding. It is such an attractive building on the outside and it is just rotting. Since the awesome McChesney project didn't happen, anyone know if there are any other plans or possibilities for this building/parcel? What sort of thing would you like to see go there or happen with the existing building?

Rumor is Bass Pro Shops will be taking the Hoechst Celanese plant site. The former plant is slated to be torn down soon.

Edited by citylife

Rumor is Bass Pro Shops will be taking the Hoechst Celanese plant site. The former plant is slated to be torn down soon.

I'm torn on the rumor of this... The retails sales for the City of Greenville would be huge, however the resulting traffic is going to be Hell. Maybe it's only because this comes after a sustainable and transit oriented development was proposed and left... Nothing could live up to that

I'm torn on the rumor of this... The retails sales for the City of Greenville would be huge, however the resulting traffic is going to be Hell. Maybe it's only because this comes after a sustainable and transit oriented development was proposed and left... Nothing could live up to that

Yeah, that is my biggest worry too: traffic. ohmy.gif Bass Pro Shops attracts an average of over 2 million visitors per year per store. That is a HUGE number and will make Woodruff Road much worse than it currently is. We need more mass transit options in this area badly. I wouldn't mind seeing a re-worked interchange at Laurens Road with a new one at Salters Road either.

Must say I simply hate this plan for Bass Pro. Bass Pro should be in a far flung burb, right off the freeway, not smack in the middle of what is quickly becoming a more intown area. A two level REI with parking underneath would be great for this location.....a sprawling Bass Pro with a sea of paved parking feels wrong for this location. Additionally, I fail to see the crossover demographic in that area..."Think I'll stop at Whole Foods for sushi and Kirin and then head over to Bass Pro for a hunting rifle and camouflage". :lol: Just doesn't mesh.

Must say I simply hate this plan for Bass Pro. Bass Pro should be in a far flung burb, right off the freeway, not smack in the middle of what is quickly becoming a more intown area. A two level REI with parking underneath would be great for this location.....a sprawling Bass Pro with a sea of paved parking feels wrong for this location. Additionally, I fail to see the crossover demographic in that area..."Think I'll stop at Whole Foods for sushi and Kirin and then head over to Bass Pro for a hunting rifle and camouflage". :lol: Just doesn't mesh.

:rofl:

Must say I simply hate this plan for Bass Pro. Bass Pro should be in a far flung burb, right off the freeway, not smack in the middle of what is quickly becoming a more intown area. A two level REI with parking underneath would be great for this location.....a sprawling Bass Pro with a sea of paved parking feels wrong for this location. Additionally, I fail to see the crossover demographic in that area..."Think I'll stop at Whole Foods for sushi and Kirin and then head over to Bass Pro for a hunting rifle and camouflage". laugh.gif Just doesn't mesh.

If it's zoned right for Bass Pro Shops, the city has no right to stop them. Home Depot, Academy Sports, Whole Foods, big box stores in Greenridge, Costco, Target, and Hollywood 20 are all very large buildings with a sea of parking lot. Oh and we can't forget about your future Rooms To Go, Gattitown, future Superplay USA, shopping center next to Magnolia Park, Walmart, Sams Club, Hamricks, Garden Ridge, Frankies Fun Park, and Kohl's that also have a sea of parking lot too on Woodruff Road. How is this any different? Bass Pro Shops is a tourist destination that attracts over 2 million visitors per year per store on average. It's not just for rednecks even if you think that. I shop at both Whole Foods and Bass Pro Shops. They have a really good selection of fishing and camping equipment for some of the best prices i've ever seen. I do agree though that traffic on Woodruff Road will be an absolute mess if they build there. That's the one thing that concerns me not the sea of parking lot they would build like every other big box store does.

Edited by citylife

I would be much more concerned for Bass Pro Shops and their sea of parking to be locating in the Uptown area than off of Woodruff Road. Woodruff is already a major retail center with plenty of big box retailers and poor land use practices, so this fits well in that regard. Is Woodruff Road perfect for Bass Pro Shops? No, but I could think of places a lot worse. The Celanese property is currently contributing nothing to our city, and hasn't for years. The best thing for that land was McChesney's proposal, but unfortunately that didn't happen. And for the record, I would prefer to see Bass Pro Shops at I-85 and Highway 14 as originally planned, but they didn't ask me.

Edited by Greenville

• 2 weeks later...

Doc Chey's space has been leased but don't know to who yet. A yoga place will be opening soon in the same shopping center. It looks like interior demolition has begun on the big white elephant (no, not the G-news building downtown) plant at the point to prepare it for exterior demolition.

• 3 months later...

We need more mass transit options in this area badly.

I agree with you 10,000%.

Planners totally messed up the area, though, by having things built in a totally un-walkable way. If the Woodruff Road part of town had been built with stores close together (and thus walkable), and perhaps on a grid street pattern, then mass transit could be added and could be very effective. The way the area is built now, though, even if a great mass transit system is added, the area is such low-density, with stores far from the street and surrounded by massive parking lots, that it may not be effective. Haywood Road is the same way, as is Pleasantburg; I'd have thought that with now 45 years of building unwalkable commercial sprawl in those areas, resulting in traffic jams, planners would have learned, but I'd guess not.