CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Point

g-man430

Does anyone know which hotel is currently going in at The Point? Construction is underway on what is obviously a hotel, next to Boyles Furniture. Is this the Homewood or Hilton Garden? No signs are up.

Hmmm. dunno. I hope it's got about the same amount of height as the Drury.

Well I'm gonna give it a shot in the dark but by knowing that hotel chains for the most part usually stick to the same configurations for most of their hotels. i.e. Hilton Garden Inn in Charleston, Columbia, and Anderson look exactly the same, so and so forth. Given the way I saw the foundation going in it looks to me like a Hilton Garden Inn. Homewood suites if I'm not mistaken usually have a broader U shape. I could be wrong. But thats my best guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going topost this 2 days ago that I was indeed wrong that it is a Homewood Suites and not Hilton Garden Inn. Sorry dont have a functioning digital cam, but the first floor is starting to take shape. Looks more of an L shape than a U shape though of course I could be wrong I was going 70 at the time coming off 85 onto 385.

There is a public hearing today on the McChesney project out at the point. Seeing as how we have hotels with 100 to 150 rooms usually in the neighborhood of 6 to 10 floors I just wonder how large a 420 room hotel could be. This is a great project that wouldn't have as big an impact on Woodruff road traffic as everyone would like to think. I hope it doesn't get the ax like the other projects have recently.

There is a public hearing today on the McChesney project out at the point. Seeing as how we have hotels with 100 to 150 rooms usually in the neighborhood of 6 to 10 floors I just wonder how large a 420 room hotel could be. This is a great project that wouldn't have as big an impact on Woodruff road traffic as everyone would like to think. I hope it doesn't get the ax like the other projects have recently.

HERE is a link to a Greenville News article about this hearing.

This almost sounds like our little mini version of Atlantic Station.

I hope the nay-sayers don't show up. I'm afraid that the way that The Greenville News painted the picture of the development that opposition will be very large in number. I'm sure very few people will be from the City, so I say don't listen to them unless they want to be annexed :silly:

Well. Here's to hoping this gets approval as it stands today (not modified) :alc:

Why should we be excited by another suburban hotel on Woodruff Road? Is this UrbanPlanet or SuburbanPlanet? There is no doubt that a development freeze is needed in the Woodruff Rd area. This is getting a bit ridiculous if you ask me. I think many on this board don't look to the future when they promote these projects. These type of developments are not sustainable and do nothing to improve the area. We need walkable streets with pedestrian friendly development. If there is a need for these developments they can modify to meet the demands of the community. Greenville need not be a development whore.

Why is a midrise hotel along the interstate so attractive? Are your standards so low?

^ I'm sympathetic with your point. The problem is that if a mid-rise hotel doesn't go there, a low-rise commercial property will. At least the mid-rise creates some density and is more urban than another McD's drivethru.

In my ideal world - Woodruff Road would never have happened. It would have stayed undeveloped while downtown and areas close to downtown would have been developed vertically. But I'm also a realist. I know my vision isn't shared by very many people. :dontknow:

Why should we be excited by another suburban hotel on Woodruff Road? Is this UrbanPlanet or SuburbanPlanet? There is no doubt that a development freeze is needed in the Woodruff Rd area. This is getting a bit ridiculous if you ask me. I think many on this board don't look to the future when they promote these projects. These type of developments are not sustainable and do nothing to improve the area. We need walkable streets with pedestrian friendly development. If there is a need for these developments they can modify to meet the demands of the community. Greenville need not be a development whore.

Why is a midrise hotel along the interstate so attractive? Are your standards so low?

No, our standards are high enough to hope that this development happens. This is a HUGE opportunity to gain an urban TRUE mixed use development outside of downtown. We are going to sprawl ourselves to death if we don't gain DENSE urban centers around the metro that can one day be an effective transit stops. This will include walkable streets and will be a pedestrian friendly development. How can something this dense not be pedestrian friendly? I think you should review the proposed plan.

Edited by GvilleSC

I'd love to see the site plan, too, as well as some renderings!

I am like some of you; very nervous that the people against this project may have shown up in large numbers this afternoon. This particular project is indeed a great example of denses, higher, development, that will promote less low density sprawl. As others have said, development will come with or without planning. This is an example of a planned development, an would keep it (relativley) close to the core, as opposed to somewhere down in Mauldinn or Simpsonville. I agree with interest, that this type of thing would be even better DT (County square site?), but this is much beter than more strip malls. Do you guys think the city would actually nix this because of some taxpayer objections? I hope not.

I am like some of you; very nervous that the people against this project may have shown up in large numbers this afternoon. This particular project is indeed a great example of denses, higher, development, that will promote less low density sprawl. As others have said, development will come with or without planning. This is an example of a planned development, an would keep it (relativley) close to the core, as opposed to somewhere down in Mauldinn or Simpsonville. I agree with interest, that this type of thing would be even better DT (County square site?), but this is much beter than more strip malls. Do you guys think the city would actually nix this because of some taxpayer objections? I hope not.

Ahh, didn't realize skyliner's link was refering to the updated article written after the afternoon meeting. Sounds like there was very little opposition, which bodes well for the project. ISn't this supposed to be a ten year buildout? Any guesses on how soon things would actually start to go up?