CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Point

g-man430

Don't be relieved yet RT. :lol: I'm one of several people who have sent e-mails, and I have already received a response this morning......this is far from a dead project. As I am working with a competing project, The Point project is still very much viewed as alive (read competition).

We were relieved a bit also. Wasn't commercial sprawl from downtown to Pleasantburg and Haywood what almost killed Greenville? It seems as though we are right on the precipice of becomming a destination (whether that is a good or bad thing can be debated) because of the sucess of revitalizing our downtown. But stores are still closing and we are still struggling with filling office space. I dont think now is the time to create competition just when we seem so close to having something really great.

I see downtown as an engine that once we get running on all 8 cylinders will draw more businesses to the area, more conventions, (and then even more business), employment, tourists, increase population and ultimately money to sustain and improve our great town. If we were to create competition that stops that engine, we could be right back where we started.

I am certainly not against outside development and welcome both the Point and Magnolia park projects, I just hope they are timed right.

I saw on another message board that our good friend g-man contacted someone at McChesney and obtained some info. Here is g-man's post:

"What if I told you that McChesney just might build what was supposed to go at the Point at County Square instead or maybe even try and do both? Well, hold on to your seats then. I just got an email back from one of the head people there. He told me that if I can think of a large site downtown then you're on. Gee..what large site is downtown that is looking to get redeveloped? I hope to have more tomorrow."

Can you only imagine the dense "second downtown" McChesney has planned for the Point being at County Square instead? Honestly, something like that would take our city to another level. Who knows how much stock to put in this rumor, but full credit goes to g-man for making the contact and sharing the info with others. :)

Edited by Greenville

from what i have been told Ruth's Chris may be taking over the Fleming's spot....

They recently opened one in Columbia, so it only makes sense that they would be looking at us too. In fact, they have supposedly been looking at us for a few years but were unable to decide on a site. This location at The Point seems logical, because it caters to the many businesspeople that are (and will be) in that area. They will certainly draw a lot of people from ICAR, Carolina First, Hubbell, Verdae, etc. - not to mention Greenville residents who want a nice meal out.

Can you only imagine the dense "second downtown" McChesney has planned for the Point being at County Square instead? Honestly, something like that would take our city to another level. Who knows how much stock to put in this rumor, but full credit goes to g-man for making the contact and sharing the info with others. :)

I'd like to finish the first downtown which I am very fond of, um, er, first. This reminds me of how McCalister Square became a close alternative to downtown, and what happended next.

The delays in these (downtown alternatives) hopefully reflect some wise anticipation of when the population can support such large scale projects

^But could it not be argued that Greenville is more than ready to create urbanity beyond downtown? In mature and maturing cities, you can find true nodes of urbanity outside of downtown. Besides, how will "Sprawlville" ever become sustainable? You can't focus on downtown to the point that you let the rest of the city sprawl to death.

That's just it...I don't feel Downtown Greenville has reached that maturity level yet. There's still LOTS of room for growth and maturity downtown before those nodules or hotspots flair up elsewhere in the thyroid (sorry, Greenville...I know...another medical analogy). Those nodes of urbanity can come later, but I feel if they come now they will serve to only spark more sprawl, not urbanize it. This isn't Atlanta. It's not even Charlotte. We're a long way from being able to sustain multiple urban cores here.

That's just it...I don't feel Downtown Greenville has reached that maturity level yet. There's still LOTS of room for growth and maturity downtown before those nodules or hotspots flair up elsewhere in the thyroid (sorry, Greenville...I know...another medical analogy). Those nodes of urbanity can come later, but I feel if they come now they will serve to only spark more sprawl, not urbanize it. This isn't Atlanta. It's not even Charlotte. We're a long way from being able to sustain multiple urban cores here.

The only way in which I would say that Greenville (or any other Southern city of comparable size) isn't yet ready to support an additional urban node here would be due to the lack of feasible and viable transit options. Other than that, in terms of form, I do think that Greenville could support another one. I sure hope so, because it's on the way regardless.

It was really starting to scare me cause when you look at how bad traffic already is in the woodruff road area it becomes apparent we desperately need more transport options in Greenville. I know the traffic comes with getting larger but we need at least another form of transport to help besides busses. Even if this developement does not get built another one will come to replace it.

The only way in which I would say that Greenville (or any other Southern city of comparable size) isn't yet ready to support an additional urban node here would be due to the lack of feasible and viable transit options. Other than that, in terms of form, I do think that Greenville could support another one. I sure hope so, because it's on the way regardless.

Agreed. It's not so much of "what transit can do for the development", but "what this development can do for transit options in Greenville". I hope it happens to help Greenville crack that next level in mass transit.

Agreed. It's not so much of "what transit can do for the development", but "what this development can do for transit options in Greenville". I hope it happens to help Greenville crack that next level in mass transit.

In this case, it would be this development along with all the others coming to the I-85 corridor. With that in mind, things really need to be kicked up a notch. It's time to go from just talking to action regarding transit. Oh course, we know that, but....

The old Bob Evans is coming along with it's remodel into Pinky's. Pinky's sign is up. Looks kinda fun. The overall colors are pink and chocolate brown.

Cool deal! I've been wondering what the heck was going in there - noticed they had been painting it, but there wasn't any sign yet the last time I was over there.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting point about the urban nodes. While I agree with what you're saying 100%, I have to wonder how this plays out in a multi-nodal metro like the Upstate. Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson already offer nodes of urban development but they are ones that interact on a completely different level than urban nodes around larger metropolitan areas like Atlanta.

This is an interesting point about the urban nodes. While I agree with what you're saying 100%, I have to wonder how this plays out in a multi-nodal metro like the Upstate. Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson already offer nodes of urban development but they are ones that interact on a completely different level than urban nodes around larger metropolitan areas like Atlanta.

Of course... in the short-term, you have to ask how realistic it is to have a transit system that would incorporate all of the nodes in the Upstate. Spartanburg and Anderson are 25-30 miles from Greenville. Washington DC's rail system is about 35 miles wide, at most. I think the big thing is trying to get something that works for just one of the nodes... I think trying to connect them is a stretch at this point. That's one thing that bodes well for denser development near The Point and surrounding areas.... finally a link that is feasible to connect to.

I would sort of of like the upstate nodes to be independent, but be connected like we know them now. I think Anderson and Clemson could really benefit each other by becomming more connected. Greenville is a beast of its own in my opinion. It is reaching a point now that something is going to have to be done before to much loner. Spartanburg will reach that point before Anderson does.

• 2 weeks later...

Indigo Joe's is almost complete. Grand opening is scheduled for December 3rd. Per recent article in the Greenville News, the franchisee is looking at multiple Upstate locations in addition to this location at The Point. Area's mentioned were Downtown Greenville, Greer, Spartanburg, Anderson and Clemson.

DSC03586.jpg

Does anyone know what's going to be in the free standing structure in front of Whole Paycheck? I've heard various reports from Flemings to Ruths Chris (although I just heard that they're going to be at the Crowne Plaza property, so who knows) to an Golden Coral. I also heard that it will be a mix use building not just one store. Anyone? Thanks

Does anyone know what's going to be in the free standing structure in front of Whole Paycheck? I've heard various reports from Flemings to Ruths Chris (although I just heard that they're going to be at the Crowne Plaza property, so who knows) to an Golden Coral. I also heard that it will be a mix use building not just one store. Anyone? Thanks

From what I know, Fleming's is out....Ruths Chris may be taking the spot and it will also have a Fedex/kinko's and an Alltel store...but that's just what i have gathered.