CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Point

g-man430

Planners totally messed up the area, though, by having things built in a totally un-walkable way. If the Woodruff Road part of town had been built with stores close together (and thus walkable), and perhaps on a grid street pattern, then mass transit could be added and could be very effective. The way the area is built now, though, even if a great mass transit system is added, the area is such low-density, with stores far from the street and surrounded by massive parking lots, that it may not be effective. Haywood Road is the same way, as is Pleasantburg; I'd have thought that with now 45 years of building unwalkable commercial sprawl in those areas, resulting in traffic jams, planners would have learned, but I'd guess not.

One thing to keep in mind is that planners can only be as effective as their elected officials want them to be. Granted, planners need to help inform elected officials about the impacts of decisions, but ultimately if the officials that are elected aren't willing support proactive planning, then even the best planners in the world aren't going to be successful.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Sweet!

But now where am I going to get my Halloween costumes?

Party City. :scared::ph34r:

A little bit more info:

21,545 square feet in size. The rest of the Circuit City space on the side closest to Whole Foods Market will be closed off for additional retail just like with what Academy did to the old BJ's space where Trader Joe's is now located. I don't know if REI will be one or two floors. Granger Construction Company Inc is the contractor.

Glad to hear REI is arriving to our metro. Definitely a great location for them!

This is their first South Carolina location. :thumbsup:

REI must not have been paying attention to the census numbers....imagine, opening in tiny little Greenville....in the same center with Whole Foods! What were they thinking? :rofl::rofl:

Really excited about this! :thumbsup: Greenville joins six other southern metros (excluding VA) with REI stores: Nashville, Atlanta, Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, Asheville, Greensboro/Triad.

REI must not have been paying attention to the census numbers....imagine, opening in tiny little Greenville....in the same center with Whole Foods! What were they thinking? :rofl::rofl:

Really excited about this! :thumbsup: Greenville joins six other southern metros (excluding VA) with REI stores: Nashville, Atlanta, Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, Asheville, Greensboro/Triad.

Not bad for a city of 56,000 people! Mooo! :lol:

Exciting News! I would have liked to see a Nordstrom Rack go in that space . Nordstrom Rack just opened a store in a former Circuit City at Carolina Pavillion in Charlotte. There is a face book page Nordstrom Rack - Carolina Pavillion that has photos of the transformation. I think the former Circuit City at the Point would have been a fantastic location for them. Maybe an expansion of the Point will happen in the future with even more upscale stores.

Exciting News! I would have liked to see a Nordstrom Rack go in that space

Agreed- glad to have REI, but would also be glad to have a Nordstrom Rack, Filene's Basement, Off Fifth, etc. That is one area where the first of its kind (higher-end department store discount branch) could have a monopoly in the Upstate.

I sadly seriously doubt that. Nordstrom never or hardly ever opens Nordstrom Rack stores in a city without a full line store as well. I still think that Nordstrom could come to Haywood, though, if Sears ever decides to leave. I'll edit my post and include my post in the Haywood Mall thread that justifies reasons for Nordstrom to open there. :)

"If Sears closes the Haywood store (and moves elsewhere), then I think Nordstrom will come. I was just looking at CSA population statistics and the Hartford, CT CSA has less than 100,000 more people than Greenville does. Plus the Birmingham one is less than Greenville and they considered opening there. You can't just base it off Greenville, either. It would attract many people from Western North Carolina as well. I have been to the Asheville Mall at least three times as many as Haywood and yet I've seen WAY more people I know from here in the Asheville/Hendersonville area at Haywood than at the Asheville Mall. It would also attract a large portion of South Carolina as well. With gas prices so high, even the people who can afford to shop at Nordstrom frequently can't quite spend the money to take the two hour drive to Charlotte. I think a Nordstrom or new, expanded A&F store would be the only stores I would drive down to Greenville for a "grand opening" (even though A&F doesn't really do grand openings :))"

Edited by ct36

It's official now: http://www.ddr.com/p...40_SitePlan.pdf What's that listed on the 15-A space? :whistling: 15-B space has also been leased (don't let that "available" word fool you) from what I hear but i'm not allowed to say to who yet. The retailer does already have a store in the Greenville metro area though.

Oh and http://www.genghisgrill.com/ for space formerly occupied by Doc Chey's. :thumbsup: This will be their first restaurant in South Carolina.

Edited by citylife

Oh and http://www.genghisgrill.com/ for space formerly occupied by Doc Chey's. :thumbsup: This will be their first restaurant in South Carolina.

Great to see them opening their first store in South Carolina. :thumbsup: They are a well run and growing chain with a definite sense of purpose.....them remind me a great deal of Chipotle in that they are to Chinese, sort of what Chipotle is to Mexican. The couple of locations I've eaten had a fun attitude.

You had me excited there for a second, since I love Mongolian BBQ. Then I checked out their menu. Pepperoni? Sausage? Cajun seasoning? Pico de gallo? Pre made sauces? Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, but this wasn't the way we did it when I was growing up in Mongolia. I'll give them a shot for sure, but this reminds me too much of the other Mongolian chains I've been disappointed in before. This probably won't help cure my hostility toward chain restaurants either.

(kidding about growing up in Mongolia)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...