CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Point

g-man430

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with some people today that equated the McChesney project with Virginia Beach Town Center. Now I doubt we'll have the height of the buildings in VB Town Center, but I do think McChesney will possibly do a grid street pattern as per VB Town Center and I get the feeling the density will be very comparable. Just hearing this equated to VB Town Center got me really excited! :yahoo::yahoo: Below is a link to VB Town Center.

http://www.vabeachtowncenter.com/Town_Cent...ginia_Beach.php

Pretty nice, although VB seems much larger, at 4.3 MM sf of space, and 24,000 population.

The figures we have for McChesney are about half what we have for Verdae right? So Verdae may actually be very spread out (which makes it sound suburban instead of Urban). But I thought Verdae was supposed to be super urban/dense. What am I missing?

How can this development do anything but make traffic worse on Woodruff Rd? Gridded streets may help traffic within the development, but the development still only has access to one major road (am I wrong about this?). Urban is a lot more than density and gridded streets. Realistically, what streets can this development connect to other than Woodruff road. The gridded streets will either end at the property lines or dump onto Woodruff Road.

How will this work? It would be very difficult to reengineer the streets as there is suburban sprawl to the east and interstate to the west. Do they control land all the way to Laurens Rd?

Edited by wheatie

How can this development do anything but make traffic worse on Woodruff Rd? Gridded streets may help traffic within the development, but the development still only has access to one major road (am I wrong about this?). Urban is a lot more than density and gridded streets. Realistically, what streets can this development connect to other than Woodruff road. The gridded streets will either end at the property lines or dump onto Woodruff Road.

How will this work? It would be very difficult to reengineer the streets as there is suburban sprawl to the east and interstate to the west. Do they control land all the way to Laurens Rd?

A new road, actually the extension of Carolina Point Pkwy. A four lane divided Hwy. will run down the center of these two new developments from Woodruff Rd. to Old Sulphur Springs Rd. You will be able to turn right to get to Verdae blvd., left to go to Mauldin on Forrester Dr. or straight across to Laurens

Rd., on Millennium Boulevard, the four lane road that goes through the I-CAR campus

I believe the development is designed to keep as much traffic off of Woodruff as possible. Thats why the road is being extended through The Point to I-CAR. I hate Woodruff Road with a passion, so I'm opposed to anything thats going to add anymore headache to that corridor but I believe realistically this is not going to have that much effect on Woodruff Road. Which is why I am not opposed to this project in the least. They, at least I think, had that in mind and the fact the city and county are trying to work on getting people to use other roads around Woodruff to get where you need to go on Woodruff or where ever else you need to go in that area. Theres more than just 1 road that is affected by this project. Laurens, Millinium, Old Sulphur Springs, Verdae, to name a few so that 30+ thousand vehicles a day that is estimated to be produced by this development have more than 1 ingress/ egress point and I'm sure they'll use it to their advantage. I know I will.

I don't know all of the facts here, but I imagine that a plurality of people will becoming from the eastside to this development. One of my anecdotal lines of evidence is the lineup at the Woodruff exit ramp fom 85 for the southbound lanes. How will it make sense for these people to use Laurens Rd. or Verdae to access the site? It would definitely be out of there way. There have always been options for people to avoid some of the traffic on Woodruff by using side roads (although not high capacity). I've used Garlington, Roper Mountain, Butler, and Tanner roads for years. It seems that a widening of Garlington might be a help as well. Access needs to be improved from all directions.

Are there any plans to add an exit of 85 directly dumping onto this new road? I think that would be the only thing to keep a majority of the new traffic off Woodruff.

Are there any plans for how this would integrate into a more robust transit system?

I don't know all of the facts here, but I imagine that a plurality of people will becoming from the eastside to this development. One of my anecdotal lines of evidence is the lineup at the Woodruff exit ramp fom 85 for the southbound lanes. How will it make sense for these people to use Laurens Rd. or Verdae to access the site? It would definitely be out of there way. There have always been options for people to avoid some of the traffic on Woodruff by using side roads (although not high capacity). I've used Garlington, Roper Mountain, Butler, and Tanner roads for years. It seems that a widening of Garlington might be a help as well. Access needs to be improved from all directions.

Are there any plans to add an exit of 85 directly dumping onto this new road? I think that would be the only thing to keep a majority of the new traffic off Woodruff.

Are there any plans for how this would integrate into a more robust transit system?

Not sure they could add a ramp, exhit ramps have to be at least 1 mile apart.

Not sure they could add a ramp, exhit ramps have to be at least 1 mile apart.

According to my measurements, the distance between Woodruff and Laurens is slightly greater than 2 miles which would just allow for another exit. The new exit would be roughly the same as the distance between Bridges and Butler on 385. This measurement is from road to road. Does DOT measure from ramp to ramp or road to road?

I just don't think connecting with Laurens and Verdae is enough for this development. Traffic on Woodruff Rd. cannot stand even 1/4 of the cars projected for this development.

Edited by wheatie

According to my measurements, the distance between Woodruff and Laurens is slightly greater than 2 miles which would just allow for another exit. The new exit would be roughly the same as the distance between Bridges and Butler on 385. This measurement is from road to road. Does DOT measure from ramp to ramp or road to road?

I just don't think connecting with Laurens and Verdae is enough for this development. Traffic on Woodruff Rd. cannot stand even 1/4 of the cars projected for this development.

wheatie, I agree with you 100%. I did the same measurements you did, and I came up with 1.01 miles

from the center of the Woodruff R.d bridge to the center of Old Sulphur Springs, and 1.19 miles from

old Sulphur Springs to the center of Laurens Rd. bridge. Now I'm like you I don't know how DOT dose

its measurements, but this is more room than a lot of interchanges already in Greenville on 85 [An

example is Hyw. 14 and the new bridge for GSP at 0.72 miles from center to center]

I'd like to see most of 85 through Greenville brought up to date like the section around Augusta Road / Pleasantburg / etc with express lanes and service lanes. This section is really excellent. :thumbsup: I'd love to see DOT extend this from where it currently ends around Hitachi, to at least Highway 14. The widest, best flowing section of 85 is not on the fast growing side of town. :rolleyes: Go figure. I wish the slackers at SC DOT would get with the program.

I'd like to see most of 85 through Greenville brought up to date like the section around Augusta Road / Pleasantburg / etc with express lanes and service lanes. This section is really excellent. :thumbsup: I'd love to see DOT extend this from where it currently ends around Hitachi, to at least Highway 14. The widest, best flowing section of 85 is not on the fast growing side of town. :rolleyes: Go figure. I wish the slackers at SC DOT would get with the program.

And how about adding the nice street lights to the overpasses like on 385 in Simpsonville...

If I'm not mistaken there was at least talk of a new interchange at Old Sulphur Springs when I-CAR and Verdae where announced. To help with the congestion

The city has given an initial approval to the Point's McChesney development.

The Greenville News

Not sure if these numbers had been stated before, but:

McChesney proposes to cover about 75 acres at The Point development with 500,000 square feet of new shopping, 600,000 square feet of new office space, a 420-room hotel,1,225 condos and 1,125 apartments.

Did anyone else just see the renderings on Channel 4 of the new development by McChesney at The Point? Looked sweet. :D

From what I saw, this is definitely high density and basically a new town center. Definitely a first in South Carolina in sheer size and scope. Very much along the lines of a Virginia Beach Town Center, but smaller, or an Atlantic Station or a Clarendon.

:yahoo: This one is exciting!

Did anyone else just see the renderings on Channel 4 of the new development by McChesney at The Point? Looked sweet. :D

From what I saw, this is definitely high density and basically a new town center. Definitely a first in South Carolina in sheer size and scope. Very much along the lines of a Virginia Beach Town Center, but smaller, or an Atlantic Station or a Clarendon.

:yahoo: This one is exciting!

I would love to see those renderings! Can you describe what you saw, gsupstate? Will we be getting some height to go along with the density? Some midrises (at least) would be nice there. :thumbsup:

I would love to see those renderings! Can you describe what you saw, gsupstate? Will we be getting some height to go along with the density? Some midrises (at least) would be nice there. :thumbsup:

To describe it... wow is all I can say. Definitely NOT dissapointing. It was modern and beautiful architecture and DENSE mid-rise/highrise buildings. Gsupstate, what else did you pick up on in the renderings?

We were heading out for Mexican (margarita night! :D ) so I saw it rather quickly. Wow! What I saw was a new "town center". All buildings right up to the sidewalk. 4,5 and 6 story buildings with a few 10, 12 thrown in (which in this area will be highrise). Grid street patterns. Street level retail and restaurants / bars. Living above. Offices above. Alleys. Most serious quantities of parking hidden with a small selection of on street slant and parallel parking. Lots of plantings, landscaping, trees.

100% pedestrian oriented.

Looks like a winner! Looks like it will set a precedence not just for Greenville, but all of SC. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

A website involving this project will go up within the next few months that will include renderings and site plans for everybody to see. The renderings were on WYFF's website a couple days ago, but they're not on there anymore. Also, I guarantee you one of the head people with McChesney reads this topic on here.

Edited by g-man430