CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Point

g-man430

Here's the website for McChesney's development: The Point Greenville

The video on the website is pretty neat

Wow! :yahoo:

Thanks for posting!

I really like the fly through video too, as it gives a good feel for the great density of this development. Anyone notice the nice height of the buildings on the 85 side of the development???? Fantastic! :yahoo:

EDIT:

Looks like good old g-man posted photos on another forum. The official development sign is up at the sight on the Woodruff end.

Edited by gsupstate

Per g-man, this development is larger than Virginia beach Town Center. VB Town Center total square footage is 4.3 million sq. ft. and The Point will be 4.5 million. :w00t: I'm sure he verified the numbers.

The 4.5 million sq. ft. number is right on the Greenberg Farrow web site: :thumbsup:

Woodruff Point, Greenville, South Carolina

75-acre, 4.5 milion square foot live-work-shop-play development

2009 completion

I find it interesting that McChesney says "we feel our development sits in the epicenter of a new urban core."

Maybe we should start calling Downtown Greenville "Uptown Greenville" instead? Maybe this McChesney development will be Greenville's new downtown when all is said and done? It certainly is going to be Greenville's "face" to the outside world passing through on the interstate if it all gets built.

Regardless, I agree with breed - there should be some hardline transit link between this and downtown. If one is not by default incorporated into the plans, then something is very seriously amiss with our government.

Edited by RestedTraveler

I love the look of this development. I'm sure that the actual buildings will not look similar like they do in the renderings. :)

I also hope that a mass transit rail link between this development and downtown will occur. As forward-thinking as these developers seem to be, I would be shocked if they do not include that in their plans.

RT, why couldn't this development be called uptown and the current downtown still be called downtown?

I spoke with some people today that equated the McChesney project with Virginia Beach Town Center. Now I doubt we'll have the height of the buildings in VB Town Center, but I do think McChesney will possibly do a grid street pattern as per VB Town Center and I get the feeling the density will be very comparable. Just hearing this equated to VB Town Center got me really excited! :yahoo::yahoo: Below is a link to VB Town Center.

http://www.vabeachtowncenter.com/Town_Cent...ginia_Beach.php

From earlier in the year, the people I was speaking with equated this development to Virginia Beach Town Center and I assumed it to be smaller. This development will be 200,000 sq ft larger in total square footage. That just blows my mind.

I agree about the transit link to downtown, but with the size and density of this development, I'd also like to see a couple of bridges added across 85 (not necessarily automobile, could be pedestrian) to tie this development, with Verdae. Currently other than Woodruff and Laurens, Sulphur Springs (this is becoming 4 lane?) is the only alternative. Would like to see better connections happen over 85. This could be the golden chance to have multiple bridges through this dense corridor and build the bridges all of matching stone or some decorative material. What an impression..... :)

Just imagine if the gateway site tower gets built at 25-27 stories plus the pinnacle, peacock, court st tower. Then you include this developement, the kroc center, bookends II. That is a heck of a lot of development. Oh and i left out Verdae, Bass Pro shops, Carolina First Campus, Magnolia Park. Im sure more and more will keep getting proposed when all of these are under construction. I am curious as to how many people will live at the Point project? Anyone have a good estimate? How many will it add to the city?

I am curious as to how many people will live at the Point project? Anyone have a good estimate? How many will it add to the city?

It is supposed to have 1,225 condos and 1,125 apartments, which should result in a few thousand residents. Plus, there will be a 420-room hotel there as well as 600,000 square feet of office space. This will add quite a large amount of people to this area, and if properly laid out it will provide some great foot traffic for the retailers who comprise the 500,000 square feet of retail space. This truly will be an urban town center, laid out in grid-like fashion to encourage walking. I can't wait to see construction start on this. Any idea as to when we should see this started and completed?

It is supposed to have 1,225 condos and 1,125 apartments, which should result in a few thousand residents. Plus, there will be a 420-room hotel there as well as 600,000 square feet of office space. This will add quite a large amount of people to this area, and if properly laid out it will provide some great foot traffic for the retailers who comprise the 500,000 square feet of retail space. This truly will be an urban town center, laid out in grid-like fashion to encourage walking. I can't wait to see construction start on this. Any idea as to when we should see this started and completed?

The other website, whatever it was that was posted, said "completion 2009". They must be kidding? Isn't that a little soon for such a massive project? Maybe two almost full years of construction... I wonder what exactly they were thinking that completion would include. I doubt it's the entire project. Anyone know?

Also, I think you may be forgetting about houses or townhomes? There's something else involved. There's a total of 2,350 units of residential I thought I read somewhere, though I can't remember where it was now to verify.

Well wouldnt that add about 4000-5000 people to the city then? Id say most of them are at least 2 bedroom units.

I'd say that's probably not too far off! It definitely has some great potential to gain a lot of people in the city limits without having added a lot of land.

Won't it be interesting for this new urban center to be on the edge of the city. Kind of like downtown sits on the edge of the city's western boundary... Living life on the edge! That's Greenville. :rolleyes:

^^I'll let you decide. There seems to be multiple sets of rules at UP that are regional in nature. Greenville is one of the few places that is actually doing the "Charlotte thing" on some level and some just can't handle that. Lots of development, skyscraper developments, etc. That, itself, is a bit funny, and a bit telling. Banning/suspending people is running a bit rampant. Someone is taking this whole thing way to seriously IMO. That's my take. I'm sure i'm not alone in the world. I've seen it in other places. I think somebody needs a day at the beach. I can understand the difficulty in operating a forum, but sometimes the heavy-handedness is just uncalled for. I never did get a reason for why I was banned when I didn't do anything wrong when I came back. They say I post links wrong. That is BS. Everybody else post them the same why I do. If you want your forum back, reinstate g-man.

That is not your take, g-man. You just copied your post from another forumer and altered it just slightly (very, very slightly after your last edit). Why don't you just give up and try to rest in peace? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, one other thing:

-2,350 residential units (100 units-townhomes, 1,125 units-condos, 1,125 units-apartments)

-Completion of project will take a decade after demolition of former factory begins

-Demolition of factory to begin sometime between late 2007-early 2008

-BRT transit will run to this development when the city gets funding to implement it

-Theater will either be movie or IMAX

-I provide news, information, pics, etc. and get banned for it. What kind of world do we live in?

Welcome back, bro.