CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Point

g-man430

I emailed Jim Bourey with the City, asking about branding of the Point area as "midtown" or "uptown" area... Here's the response I got:

The City is working with the developer on this project. There are a few avenues of funding for infrastruture that the developer is pursuing at the current time. Throughout the City we have worked to develop consistent signage and would certainly want to do so here. At the present there is no branding planned for the area although that is being discussed.

Jim Bourey

Just thought I'd share. It's definitely early in the game for this development and the area to become to its full potential, but as of now this is what's going on. Not too much new info, but branding planned for the area is being discussed.

Click Here for Application

THe Above link takes you to application for another Point Project, this a 696 unit apartment complex to be started as soon as permits can be received. I do not think it will be urban in style, I think it will be typical Garden Apartments.

Wow, that's a large apt complex. Don't know what the average occupancy per apt unit is, but sounds like it could add a thousand people to the city when completed. ANd the office space part sounded like it is a maybe at this point, but could help to add some density to the area as a whole. Either way, the apts sound out of my price range. Anyone know where this would be in relation to the other point developments?

Wow, more people at the Point? IF mass transit is done correctly this is great, if not, then no.

Amsterdam learned things the hard way with development and has found it to be most beneficial to implement the mass transit infrastructure first. Despite that there may only be 2 people riding any given form at one time, in time, more people participated in the system because it was always there from the beginning. There was no getting used to driving a car and then changing later... I hope this doesn't bite Greenville in the butt.

On a positive note, the City would indeed grow by a leap in terms of population.

Fleming's has just backed out of the deal to move in to the outparcel in front of Doc Chey's. Anyone know who will replace them or where they will go instead?

I have no first-hand knowledge of this at all.

I do know one developer that seems to be getting a cluster of commitments from upscale restaurants though.....so if they did move to another location, I wouldn't be shocked.

I have no first-hand knowledge of this at all.

I do know one developer that seems to be getting a cluster of commitments from upscale restaurants though.....so if they did move to another location, I wouldn't be shocked.

If I owned an upscale restaurant company and was in the market for a new location, I would definitely invest capital in a master planned neighborhood like The Point or Magnolia Park Town Center before purchasing an outparcel in a sprawling area like Woodruff Road. They may have other reasons for pulling out, but I agree with gsupstate in not being surprised when they turn up again sooner or later in another development. The market is clearly adequate and they will want to be part of it. The question is, when will they decide to invest here?

Anybody else notice that the McChesney Investment Advisors signs for the Point that were out by Woodruff Road have been taken down? :o

I wonder if some slight changes were made as a result of the meeting they recently had with the city? I am optimistic that this is a good thing, rather than a bad one. All indications seem to point toward them being serious about making it a high quality development that has a positive impact on Greenville's uptown area.

Their website is supposedly being updated as well...

Anybody else notice that the McChesney Investment Advisors signs for the Point that were out by Woodruff Road have been taken down? :o

G-mann has. He sent me an email about it. I think that they are chaning the site plan as well. But I don't know anything.

Ted Smith (co-owner of Poinsett Homes) is the registered agent of the LLC that owns the parcel, Rhino Realty Fund.

Thanks for the info. I knew they were handling the leasing, but I didn't know if they owned the property as well.

The whole Point project sounds like a great idea if they can keep the access as open as possible. That Greenridge nightmare is insane!

Another developer is looking to build 700 apartments at The Point, in addition to the 2,000 plus condos and apartments that McChesney has planned. The development company is called Flournoy.

Article from the Greenville News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....INESS/710240368

I love the amount of development going on in this area, but taking into consideration the traffic patterns, will The Point area soon over-develop? :dontknow:

I wonder if some slight changes were made as a result of the meeting they recently had with the city? I am optimistic that this is a good thing, rather than a bad one. All indications seem to point toward them being serious about making it a high quality development that has a positive impact on Greenville's uptown area.

Their website is supposedly being updated as well...

...I think that they are chaning the site plan as well. But I don't know anything.

Thanks, guys. I noticed the sign was gone when we were at Circuit City and Whole Foods this past weekend and I was left scratching my head wondering what was up. The sign vanishing is usually not a good sign, but the posts are still there at least. :lol:

I believe the sign coming down means it is not a good thing:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...NEWS01/71024058

Not a very clear article. The first half says they couldn't come to terms with a key property owner. Then the second part of the article says they hope to work it out. :dontknow: So if they are still working it out, why take down the sign and why is this news? Wonder what the real story is.

I overall view this as not a good thing.

^But could it not be argued that Greenville is more than ready to create urbanity beyond downtown? In mature and maturing cities, you can find true nodes of urbanity outside of downtown. Besides, how will "Sprawlville" ever become sustainable? You can't focus on downtown to the point that you let the rest of the city sprawl to death.

In fact, I'm somewhat relieved.

Don't be relieved yet RT. :lol: I'm one of several people who have sent e-mails, and I have already received a response this morning......this is far from a dead project. As I am working with a competing project, The Point project is still very much viewed as alive (read competition).