Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Shows Only Crime

What's the deal with WSOC's crusade against downtown? On the morning news, they lead in with a story that implied that people are in danger of getting robbed as they walked to their downtown residences. Apparently there have been at least 7 robberies (some armed) over the past few days down there.

Then at noon, they got out their spread sheet and calculated that downtown is the center of car robberies in Charlotte. They showed a homemade graphic map of the city of Charlotte with a big red dot over the center city. One would think it was Bagdad.

Is this more trolling for ratings or has crime gotten that bad down there? I believe that WCNC is catching up with them in the ratings so maybe they are starting to feel some heat.

Its aggrevating how bad the news is for this city. Thank god for News14, its not very exciting, but its straight up news, no drama. Hopefully they dont ever change that format.

I've always considered WSOC news as the "doom & gloom" news. That's why I rarely watch it. And besides, Debbie Faubian's botox smile gets a little nausiating.

I generally watch the 10pm local news on Fox 18. Nice backdrop of colors that are pleasing, and faces that are pleasing as well..

I generally watch the 10pm local news on Fox 18. Nice backdrop of colors that are pleasing, and faces that are pleasing as well..

Indeed. And sometimes they actually even manage to report some news. Brien Blakely needs to learn how to pronounce a few of the city names around here.

:rofl: Thats WSOC for ya. I know this all too well

According to Wikipedia, WSOC and WSB out of Atlanta are one of teh few ABC afflilates who do not air Jimmy Kimmel!

That part really pisses me off. I love Jimmy Kimmel.. his show is so funny! I'm glad WXLV carries it, albiet 1 hour late. I don't know why Cox Broadcasting (owner of WSOC and WSB) has to be like that.

What's the deal with WSOC's crusade against downtown? On the morning news, they lead in with a story that implied that people are in danger of getting robbed as they walked to their downtown residences. Apparently there have been at least 7 robberies (some armed) over the past few days down there.

Then at noon, they got out their spread sheet and calculated that downtown is the center of car robberies in Charlotte. They showed a homemade graphic map of the city of Charlotte with a big red dot over the center city. One would think it was Bagdad.

Is this more trolling for ratings or has crime gotten that bad down there? I believe that WCNC is catching up with them in the ratings so maybe they are starting to feel some heat.

One thing I've learned is how the numbers can get slanted. For example, uptown is home to the police station, jail and the family services center and often, those addresses become the default address for where a crime is reported. There is also a spot just north of the downtown border that is a hotspot for dumping stolen cars. For whatever reason, that address seems to get attached to the crime report. It also clusters in the bar districts - bar skirmishes that turn into reported assaults. So, the numbers of reported incidents can often be inflated. Unfortunately, that can reflect poorly on the residential districts when you look at in on a chart, but its really not accurate. There are a scary number of registered sex offenders that show up as residing on 4th street - turns out, that's the jail.

while i have found myself not watching any local news recently... i feel totally opposite about FOX @ 10. the intro to their program with the city graphics is cool, and i don't mind their approach on the news... but that brick background with a red light shining on it is bad. the anchors have to slap on thick layers of make-up to compete and blakley's between news, one liners are the worst. oh my gosh, and the only thing that FOX news EDGE, is on the edge of, is... me taking a slow, dull razor across my wrist... which wouldn't effect FOX news viewership @ all, so i'll quit my b*tchin.:)

dream newscast:

head anchors: chris clackum and maureen o'boyle

sports: harold johnson (the big guy)

weather: steve udelson

My dream news station:

Anchors: (can be switched around)

Lee Kinard & David Crabtree

Neil McNeill & Cameron Kent

Miriam Thomas & Sandra Hughes

Lynda Loveland & Debra Morgan

Weather:

1. Greg Fishel

2. Randy Jackson

3. George Elliot

4. Roy Ackland

Sports:

1. Mike Hodgewood

2. Tom Suiter

3. Jeff Gravely

I miss that weatherman (mark mathis i think) who was always so excited to do the report. Turns out he was addicted to cocaine, but very funny and made the news worth watching. Anyone else remember that guy?

I miss that weatherman (mark mathis i think) who was always so excited to do the report. Turns out he was addicted to cocaine, but very funny and made the news worth watching. Anyone else remember that guy?

yeah, i miss him too. he made the weather rather fun... i can still see him dancing and singing, "jose cuervo - is a friend of mine!"

LOL - during the 80s I remember we (my family) started avoiding WSOC then, and when I lived in Boone, we'd actually make fun of it, for the over the top sensationalism ("Tonight at 6 on Channel 9 - A baby exploded! Let's talk to the mother!"). It wasn't taken seriously as a source of news - BUT I did note that some older relatives (great aunts, grandparents) scattered around Charlotte did, and were quite horrified by the daily parade of dire news, which may be indicative of some pernicious effect.