I-85 is only going to get worse

Spartan

This was the original post in this topic. I'm not sure about how the time between the two cities is doing these days, I haven't timed it recently. But here are the numbers I could find on daily traffic counts between the cities of Greenville and Spartanburg as of May 18, 2007:

Anderson Co to I-185 ---------------------------- 90,200

Augusta/Pleasantburg/Mauldin to Laurens----- 102,000

Laurens to Woodruff/I-385 (@CU-ICAR)-------- 98,000

I-385 to Pelham-----------------------------------114,200

Pelham to GSP(@Spartanburg Co/Hwy 14)------92,000

GSP to Brockman-McClimon ----------------------76,100

Brockman-McClimon to SC-101-------------------78,700

SC-101 (@BMW) to SC-290 -----------------------76,700

SC-290 to US-29 -----------------------------------79,000

US-29 to SC-129 -----------------------------------76,600

SC-129 to SC-85 -----------------------------------78,700

SC-85 to Chesnee Hwy ----------------------------67,800

Chesnee Hwy to Gossett Rd -----------------------58,700

Gossett Rd to Battleground Rd---------------------55,900

Battleground Rd to Cherokee Co------------------53,900

I'm not too sure where Spartanburg is on this list of roads to decide where to count to and from, but in some places we're not too far away and will be there before 2025 as is. I wonder where the 75,000 was being counted?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the article is right and the numbers double by 2025, we are in for a heck of a situation. Don't forget, that since the article came out, McCehsney, Magnolia Park TC, The new Point development, Hwy 14 massive project, and some others have all been announced. The projection was made before any of these announcements. And as we know, projections around here are usually on the low side. 85 widening is going to be a must! Can you imagine 230,000+ cars a day on six lanes? Ouch! :stop:

In a way I am very excited about the addition of so much traffic. If history is any indication regarding road/transit construction in our area, once I-85 reaches "nightmare" stage (which is unlikely to occur in our lifetime), the additional mass transit options will be built. Until then, all the talk in the World is not going to make it happen.

One thing that I don't think has been accounted for in this discussion is Atlanta. Being one of the fastest growing places in the country, I think that will definitely add to traffic of people coming to SC (especially as Greenville's economy continues to grow in business and tourism sectors) and just simply passing through our fair state. At least this will be the case for the next decade until high-speed rail comes into play.

If the article is right and the numbers double by 2025, we are in for a heck of a situation. Don't forget, that since the article came out, McCehsney, Magnolia Park TC, The new Point development, Hwy 14 massive project, and some others have all been announced. The projection was made before any of these announcements. And as we know, projections around here are usually on the low side. 85 widening is going to be a must! Can you imagine 230,000+ cars a day on six lanes? Ouch! :stop:

Archived