City and Town quotes

TBurban

Heres a place to post quotes that have truly inspired you to become a part of Urban Planet. Whether it be cities, places, architecture, or sheer interest in urban life. They dont have to be quotes, you could post stories of how you became interested in anything that city life has to offer. Even quotes about cities. So reflect and be proud, because you just might be the one that inspires someone else.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paraphrase: "The downfall of American civilization is segration by wealth. Capital starvation in inner cities breeds poverty." Dr. Thomas Orsagh, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

His class was otherwise just an advanced economics class, with curves, equations and models. But that statement caught my imagination, and made me think hard about suburban flight, and its broader impact on the American social situation. It was the first time I had ever thought about this country's dire need to get the middle class back living in the inner city. Later, it shaped my decision to be buy a home and live in a mixed income neighborhood in downtown Charlotte, where I now live.

Archived