Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MJLO

Cheering for Lansings Resurgance.

hey guys, You are the masters of everything Lansing and instead of taking to hours to find this out, I thought I'd just ask so please don't get annoyed with me. I know there are little tidbits here and there things i've heard, about Lansing. Is Lansing Cashing in on the Massive world class university right there in it's vicinity? What is being done to reposition it for the future? Economically and Sustainability? I see Sparrow Projects, is it alligning itself for the biotechs? Lansing hasn't slid that far, but every city in Michigan has suffered somewhat in past decades. I firmly believe that Lansing will start gaining soon. But what is being done to turn it into Michigans Premier city, I need to get out there, the few times i've spent downtown have been enjoyable. I'm becoming more and more fascinated by it, every time you all post stuff about it. You're almost making me forget about Detroit, which i've been fascinated with my whole life!

Lansing is still failing to really capitalize on MSU, but they are working on it and over the next couple years I think there will be some real benifits, MSU is even the canidate for a $1 billion+ dollar particle accelerator that would be the most advanced in the world if built, it's only serious competition is a lab in Chicago, that would certainly bring a lot of attention and maybe even more private companies to the area. I'm not sure what Sparrows plans are, I was hoping to see their master plan but they said it wasn't public. All I know is that they are planning on building an administrative and classroom building of some type, but nothing more specific or even a timeline, and of course they will probably continue to expand as usual otherwise. BioPort, the makers of the anthrax vaccine are going to be building a new $75 million facility, and Neogen is expanding regularly. On other fronts all of the insurance companies based here are doing quite well and seeing large profits, Accident Fund and Auto Owners are looking at expanding their headquarters, AF will stay downtown and their is a slight chance that Auto Owners could be lured downtown, they would bring something like 1500 jobs and at least 400k sq ft of office space wherever they move to. Lansing is more or less on the brink, either we will explode with development very soon or everything will go bust, and it is looking more and more like development will begin to really take off, I'm betting either this year or next year.

Man, that particle accelerator debate is still going? I remember when I was in school there it was the big topic of discussion. Let's hope the Lansings can take the win!

To me, it sounds like Lansing is really making the appropriate strides...when I think of things like Printer's Row, the old factory loft conversions, historic preservations on Washington Blvd, etc...These maybe small blurbs on the radar, but they are big in terms of getting the ball rolling. They are tangible effects to what is normally verbal hub-bub in Michigan cities.

LMich, didn't you mention at one time recently that there may even be a reintroduction of a Michigan Ave streetcar line connecting the Capitol and MSU? To me, that's a no-brainer and should really be pursued by CATA and the two cities. Redesign the master plan to make the Michigan Corridor "the place to be" in all of Mid Michigan. No cars needed, but welcomed nonetheless. ;)

Yeah, the mayor has hinted more than once at a trolley line linking downtown Lansing and downtown East Lansing. I wouldn't expect any serious talk for at least another year or two when all of downtown's new projects come online, but it really is a no brainer. CATA is the second heaviest used transit system in Michigan, and a lot of that has to do with MSU.

As for the question, I agree with Hood, mostly. Lansing could either boom or bust, at the moment. It still waits to be seen if any projects will follow this first wave of projects that hit us a year or two ago. I think the difference, this time, about the resurgence of central Lansing is that there is significant housing being added (hundreds of new units), which wasn't added in the last "revitalizations." Even if it does go bust this time, too, we'll have more residents downtown than we've had in decades, which will at least help the retail end of everything. I'll lose my doubt if in the next year or two, we see a condo tower proposed. Lansing is lucky to have a downtown that though it may have fell hard, its still phyiscally intact for the most part, clean, with a solid base (i.e 25,000-30,000 downtown workers, +20,000 students).

This is all well and good. I have to think too, that Lansing could see some real population gain, I know we have talked about it in the GR forum, But it seems that there are lots of Empty places that could fill up. I can see the arguement being made about GR being on the brink of capacity, but places like Flint and Detroit have a good deal of extra space. I believe by far Lansing can only go up. What was the highest population of the city before it started tapering off? I can see the city easily being able to fit 200,000 people in it.

The city hit 131,000 back in either the 60's or 70's, but I'm unsure of why anyone would think the city has a lot of land left. Lansing is pretty much built out like every other older Michigan city. The parts that are empty, for the most part, are the natural areas and preserves. BTW, the city is nearly the exact same size as Flint, land-wise (36 square miles). I think Lansing first has to plug its significant population loss that really surprised me at the 200,000 census. After Detroit and Flint, it was the next bigger loss for a major Michigan city. In fact, the loss was the 14th largest of cities of over 100,000 person in the country, and most of that can be traced back to the sizeable loss of manufacturing jobs in the area.

I didn't realize Lansing had lost that many people. But land wise if it's the same size as Flint, we know how many people Flint had at it's peak that should just show you that it has the potential at least.

Like I say, Grand Rapids and San Fran Share the same area size. Not that Grand Rapids will ever have almost 800,000 people, it's just possible. I'm pretty sure Lansings pop. Decline has slowed, I very much think that in the next ten years, if not sooner, you'll start seeing it turn around.

yeah I could see it going up really soon, I would have thought that at one time the population was near 200k too, it just has a bigger city attitude than GR a few years ago. I know Flint had almost 200k and I think saginaw had over 100k in just 18 sq miles so the density is there to regain some people in these mid MI cities and I think Lansing has the most potential.

BTW, Lansing reached its current phyiscal size in the 1960's, I believe. When the auto industry took off in the early 1900's, Lansing began to annex like crazy. In fact, most of the far southside of Lansing is a relatively recent annexation (i.e. South of Jolly), which is why south of Mount Hope or Holmes (depending on who you ask), the southside almost functions as a separate city, and more like a suburb.

I thought they annexed the land south of Jolly in the 80's, there is plaque at Adado Riverfront park comemorating him for getting that land for the city among other things.

If you get a chance go look at the plaque at riverfront, I can't remember exactly where it is but it is right on the river, I think it's close to the old railroad bridge, I know that sign says when the land south of Jolly was annexed.