Has anyone driven around East Columbia lately?

waccamatt

I went to visit a friend in Sumter today and on the way home I decided to see what's going on in the East Columbia area since I rarely have a reason to visit that side of town. I was truly amazed at the number of new subdivisions under construction! I only checked out parts of the area between Garners Ferry Road and Leesburg Road and I counted no less than 7 new subdivisions being built. I had no idea there were so many houses under construction out there. This may be the next boom area. If it is we may see Richland County break 400,000 by the 2010 census.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't there some master-planned TND with a town center kind of thing coming out Garners Ferry somewhere? On some farmland near the edge of current development?? Do any of you guys remember the details on that? Where is it located exactly?

Most of those SDs are contingent to the city and are being annexed as they are being developed. The farm you speak of is being annexed. I don't know about the 'town center' type of development; but I do know that a whole bunch of new houses are to be built and they all will be within the city limits.

that's what I've been saying...East Columbia is growing so fast and most of it is being annexed into the city and most of the subdivisions are already in the city limits! That's def gonna be a hot spot in a couple of years!

AMEN! I'm looking forward to it. ....... :lol:

I really hate what the north east Richland 'Sandhills' area has done to Columbia. ....... :angry:

Isn't there some master-planned TND with a town center kind of thing coming out Garners Ferry somewhere? On some farmland near the edge of current development?? Do any of you guys remember the details on that? Where is it located exactly?

I've heard about that also. It was mentioned in a thread, but I forgot the details. Maybe someone else remembers.

BTW, Waccamaw and Krazee, I'm glad that both of you are thinking so much of my hometown that you want or plan to visit. Whether its visiting friends or whatever, I'm just happy to know you're thinking about us :D

I've heard about that also. It was mentioned in a thread, but I forgot the details. Maybe someone else remembers.

BTW, Waccamaw and Krazee, I'm glad that both of you are thinking so much of my hometown that you want or plan to visit. Whether its visiting friends or whatever, I'm just happy to know you're thinking about us :D

??? I live in Columbia (or are you talking about Sumter?) I'm confused. :unsure:

AMEN! I'm looking forward to it. ....... :lol:

I really hate what the north east Richland 'Sandhills' area has done to Columbia. ....... :angry:

And what HAS NE Richland/Sanhills done to Columbia? No hard feelings (even as a NE Richland resident), just want to know what you don't like about NE Richland (I may even agree with you?).

• 1 month later...

And what HAS NE Richland/Sanhills done to Columbia? No hard feelings (even as a NE Richland resident), just want to know what you don't like about NE Richland (I may even agree with you?).

Please don't change my words. It is not that I don't like Sandhills or the people that populate it. I don't like what NE Richland has done to Columbia, that is more specifically to the Columbia Mall area. Look at the mall, Decker Boulevard, and all of the businesses that are closing and moving into big box stores all strung out along Two Notch Road and now in the Sandhills shopping strip which is nothing more than another strip mall only fancied up a bit.

All these shopping venues are following a population that seems to want to divorce itself from our beautiful and growing city. Instead of staying in Columbia and helping to improve it they seem intent on running from responsibility and thus making our renaissances here more difficult. At least Harbison is a part of the whole.

Columbia just annexed 144 acres south of Percival Rd. and North of Screaming Eagle Road to construct 430 housing units...Wow thats far out...lol

The more the merrier. I want to see housing development after housing development be annexed, existing ones as well as any they build. And I hope any they build that would be annexed will be built in logical infill areas. Add that to new houses being built in existing inner city neighborhoods including downtown proper and Columbia ought to grow significantly between now and the next census. Garner's Ferry just past Greenlawn Cemetery on the left going toward Lower Richland has been renewed. Everything is utilized along there now! And new construction is going up across Garner's Ferry from there as well. All that is considered part of East Columbia.

Please don't change my words. It is not that I don't like Sandhills or the people that populate it. I don't like what NE Richland has done to Columbia, that is more specifically to the Columbia Mall area. Look at the mall, Decker Boulevard, and all of the businesses that are closing and moving into big box stores all strung out along Two Notch Road and now in the Sandhills shopping strip which is nothing more than another strip mall only fancied up a bit.

All these shopping venues are following a population that seems to want to divorce itself from our beautiful and growing city. Instead of staying in Columbia and helping to improve it they seem intent on running from responsibility and thus making our renaissances here more difficult. At least Harbison is a part of the whole.

Doug is right; so many people are moving onto previously undeveloped land when they could be moving into more dense in-town developments. I know people want large yards for some reason, but I don't feel sorry for them if gas goes to $5.00 a gallon.

While that is true, matt, the facts are that most of the new growth over will be in suburban developments. The main problem with Northeast Richland is that it is very unorganized sprawl. It is a classic case of leapfrog development. If that coudl be changed, things would be better.

East Columbia is growing significantly with new housing units and apartments off Garners Ferry and Atlas Rd, new restaurants, a new hotel (not sure what chain).

I applaud the Target at Woodhill for deciding to stay in the same location, closing the old store and losing business while they rebuilt, rather than moving away leaving empty space. I wish the same had been done around Decker Blvd.

East Columbia is growing significantly with new housing units and apartments off Garners Ferry and Atlas Rd, new restaurants, a new hotel (not sure what chain).

I applaud the Target at Woodhill for deciding to stay in the same location, closing the old store and losing business while they rebuilt, rather than moving away leaving empty space. I wish the same had been done around Decker Blvd.

My best response is, AMEN!

We drove out there today to check things out. It does appear to be growing at a clip! I was really surprised. Sounds like there is at least *some* planning going on from what I've read in the news, so they'll hopefully be spared the growth headaches of NE Richland.

Columbia just annexed 144 acres south of Percival Rd. and North of Screaming Eagle Road to construct 430 housing units...Wow thats far out...lol

Wow...I didn't realize Columbia city limits reached out that far...

Archived