Greensboro Getting Ready for DT Highrise Development?

cityboi

It looks like downtown is running out of land for development and DGI President Ray Gibbs says its time to take development to a whole new level. This would mean tear down structures to build much larger and taller structures, and infilling parking lots.

Downtown missed out on a 15-story office tower overlooking the field of First Horizon Ballpark. The unidenified company wanted to bring 300 jobs to downtown Greensboro and the city wasnt quick enough to put together a comprehensive incentive strategy.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/603250326

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im hoping the company that wanted to erect a 15-story office tower next to the ballpark will still build a tower downtown. The project cant be discussed becasue the company may still build elsewhere. I had no idea there was a demand for major office space downtown. I guess downtown is really growing faster than I thought. This could mean a major boom in the upcoming years for highrise construction and Greensboro's skyline will look just as big as Winston or Raleigh. There is already a 16-story federal courthouse planned for downtown.

Dispite the fact that we didn't get the office tower, I think that at the very least this shows that there's a growing demand for office space downtown.

I'm not really sure how they can say that they're "running out of space." There's alot of surface lots throughout downtown, especially off Davie St.

Wow, this is big news for DT GSO. And they're right it is a cross roads. I see two things that could happen here: either the parking lots and other wasted space starts getting filled in and DT starts to become a really vibrant and lively place, or (GOD FORBID :shok: )higher prices start driving investment further out, the crappy parking lots remain and DT loses momentum and we're back to 10 or 15 years ago. Lets keep our fingers crossed! :thumbsup: & keep eating and shopping DT as much as possible.

also dont forget the JP/Lincoln merger which will add more jobs to downtown in the long run. I hear that Lincoln National will eventually seek more office space downtown Because the JP building wont have enough space for the planned growth. It looks like the face of downtown will change and all I can say is its about time. :)

Dispite the fact that we didn't get the office tower, I think that at the very least this shows that there's a growing demand for office space downtown.

I'm not really sure how they can say that they're "running out of space." There's alot of surface lots throughout downtown, especially off Davie St.

I agree, and if there is a growing demand for office space downtown, than the developer of Triad Tower needs to scrap plans for building it near the airport and build it downtown. But with this kind of demand today, expect to see at least one office tower proposal within the next 5 years. We may even see a boom like we did in the late 80/early 90s when 3 office towers were built at the same time.

GSO is definitely at a crossroads. I'm glad that this article ran in the News and Record. It's forcing people to look at the situation and develop some plans out of necessity. From my experience in GSO, it sort of takes something like this to actually force people into action. We need some guidlines restricting when, where, what, and how we build. None of this "free reign" business. This is a very, very promising situation to be in. They are on the brink of a new age. The potential is there...now lets see what we do with it.

Do you think they'll extend the "highrise district" or have new rules saying they can build outside of it?

DGI had outline a North Elm "highrise office district" but I think we will see office tower proposals in other areas of downtown as well. I'd rather for it to be that way so Greensboro's skyline will be much wider in scope. The cluster that is there now makes downtown look far smaller than it really is. But the demand for office space downtown is obviously there and it is highly likely we will see some proposals within the next sveral years. Id like for more towers to be built away from Elm Street so Greensboro's skyline will look great no matter what direction you see it in. I predict that office tower proposals will likely inlude conods on some of the floors. (mixed-use towers).

:cry: i can't believe we lost the chance at 700 added jobs downtown!

It would be great to infill some of the surface lots downtown however the property owners have to sell them first.

I don't think there is so much a shortage of land as there is shortage of land that is for sale at a "reasonable" price.

There is still very little demand for class A office space in downtown Greensboro. The First Union tower(now Wachovia) is half empty, and of course the old Wachovia tower is completely empty. I do see some mid rise residential for downtown, but for the next decade there will be no high rise office construction, even the proposed federal courthouse has been put on indefinate hold.

There is still very little demand for class A office space in downtown Greensboro. The First Union tower(now Wachovia) is half empty, and of course the old Wachovia tower is completely empty. I do see some mid rise residential for downtown, but for the next decade there will be no high rise office construction, even the proposed federal courthouse has been put on indefinate hold.

This statement completely contridicts what the News & Record reported yesterday. Did you read the paper?

I think the article is being taken out of context. There will be no rush to build a plethora of high rise office buildings in downtown Greensboro. The tenant mix that is required to fill just one 30 story office building does not exist in any form or fashion in Greensboro now or in the forseable future. I would love to see a building boom of high rises like Charlotte, but what you are seeing in Charlotte is the result of a once in a lifetime confluance of major bank headquarters locating to once sleepy southern city. Raleigh's downtown boom is a result of a booming economy with RBC Centura and Progress Energy investing in downtown headquarter buildings.

I think the article is being taken out of context. There will be no rush to build a plethora of high rise office buildings in downtown Greensboro. The tenant mix that is required to fill just one 30 story office building does not exist in any form or fashion in Greensboro now or in the forseable future. I would love to see a building boom of high rises like Charlotte, but what you are seeing in Charlotte is the result of a once in a lifetime confluance of major bank headquarters locating to once sleepy southern city. Raleigh's downtown boom is a result of a booming economy with RBC Centura and Progress Energy investing in downtown headquarter buildings.

There is a proposal for a 30 story high rise condo building next to the old Wachovia Building. Whether it will ever materialize, i don't know. I do know that Winston-Salem has 3 proposals for new high rise buildings. Piedmont Federal will be housed in one. I think these 3 high rise building in Winston are going to be a mixture of commercial and residential. I don't think Greensboro's skyline will ever catch up with Winston-Salem either.

There is a proposal for a 30 story high rise condo building next to the old Wachovia Building. Whether it will ever materialize, i don't know. I do know that Winston-Salem has 3 proposals for new high rise buildings. Piedmont Federal will be housed in one. I think these 3 high rise building in Winston are going to be a mixture of commercial and residential. I don't think Greensboro's skyline will ever catch up with Winston-Salem either.

It depends on whats being proposed for downtown Greensboro. I think Greensboro can catch up with Winston-Salem's skyline. The 30 story condo tower is a possibilty, a highrise federal courthouse is proposed, the company that had planned to build a 15-story office tower next to the ballpark could still build elsewhere downtown. Also x.man from skyscraperpage mentioned that a 12-story condo tower is being proposed in downtown Greensboro. There are also a number of proposals that may not have public knowledge yet. we'll just have to wait and see.

It depends on whats being proposed for downtown Greensboro. I think Greensboro can catch up with Winston-Salem's skyline. The 30 story condo tower is a possibilty, a highrise federal courthouse is proposed, the company that had planned to build a 15-story office tower next to the ballpark could still build elsewhere downtown. Also x.man from skyscraperpage mentioned that a 12-story condo tower is being proposed in downtown Greensboro. There are also a number of proposals that may not have public knowledge yet. we'll just have to wait and see.

Anyone have an update on the old Wachovia Building. I thought Roy Carroll would have made an announcement by now. A friend told me that he had hired someone to market and sale the condos so I know he is definitely going to go through with it. I also heard from the sales agent at Bellemeade Villiage that they are getting ready to market their second building which will be 1 bedroom units, a little larger than 411 West Washington, and will start in the $150,000 price range. Currently they are marketing 2 and 3 BR starting at $239,000. Arborhouse is definitely a good buy for the money. They have an awesome model set up next to the site where they are planning on building the condos. Most of what other contractors offer as upgrades, are standard in the Arborhouse Condos. The Tower Homes at Southside are coming along. I actually went up to one of the roof top terraces and the view is awesome of the downtown skyline. The Tower Homes are located on the corner of Macdoo and Murray in Southside.

Anyone have an update on the old Wachovia Building. I thought Roy Carroll would have made an announcement by now. A friend told me that he had hired someone to market and sale the condos so I know he is definitely going to go through with it. I also heard from the sales agent at Bellemeade Villiage that they are getting ready to market their second building which will be 1 bedroom units, a little larger than 411 West Washington, and will start in the $150,000 price range. Currently they are marketing 2 and 3 BR starting at $239,000. Arborhouse is definitely a good buy for the money. They have an awesome model set up next to the site where they are planning on building the condos. Most of what other contractors offer as upgrades, are standard in the Arborhouse Condos. The Tower Homes at Southside are coming along. I actually went up to one of the roof top terraces and the view is awesome of the downtown skyline. The Tower Homes are located on the corner of Macdoo and Murray in Southside.

I actually saw the Tower Homes from Lee Street. They look like very tall homes because they are verticle in shape, have 4 floors and the sit on a hill. Those are very unique homes for downtown and the city. I love what is going on with Southside.

• 6 months later...

id love to see some of those parking lots turn into highrise condos. I think Center Pointe will pave the way for a highrise condo boom in DT Greensboro. Once a developer does something for the first then another developer will follow, then another and another and so on.

Archived