Tough annexation laws

g-man430

Here is my version of Greenville 2025.

In the picture, I've annexed Gannt, Parker, and Wade Hampton District's. I know that it wouldn't happen in real life, but it would be such a boost for population, I don't think that words can describe it.

CityGreenville2025.jpg

GREAT graphic! Look how massive. By doing this, Greenville could even venture into Pickens County at some point. If this were tomorrow, what would the population be of the city?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO, Greenville should concentrate on annexing toward Greer and Mauldin into order to gobble up as much real estate before those cities do. Besides these are the areas with higher density and would achieve a higher population with a minimal amount of actual annexation.

However, it also might be easier to annex undeveloped land (I believe Rock Hill took this approach). Negotiating with one large tract land owner is a lot easier than 500 individually owned homes. Furthermore, this allows for a lot of new development within the city limits and under the control of the city planning board.

Understanding that bigger is not necessarily better, I've been wondering whether it would be easier -- and even more sensible -- for the City of Mauldin to merge with the City of Greenville. I'm not talking about a City View disbanding, but a full-blown merger.

I understand that Greenville County has something like 140 different taxing districts -- that is, this area has 140 different combinations of taxing authorities between fire districts, city/non-city, water district, sewer district, schools, etc.

It's much simpler inside city limits...with residents of a particular city (Greer excepted) pretty much being covered by the same combination of taxing authorities.

That would make growth by merger a much simpler prospect...at least by that standard.

As time goes on, is there an appreciable benefit to being a Mauldin resident as opposed to a City of Greenville resident? If so, can those beneficial elements be preserved as part of an agreed-upon merger agreement between the cities?

I will note that I am a resident of Mauldin and was thinking about this for several months...basically when we had our city elections and I asked myself, "Why?"

...I've been wondering whether it would be easier -- and even more sensible -- for the City of Mauldin to merge with the City of Greenville. I'm not talking about a City View disbanding, but a full-blown merger.

I have been thinking the same thing, myself, and I agree with you 100% here. In my mind, it would make much more sense if Greenville would merge with Mauldin. This would seemingly simplify a great number of things.

For that matter, Greenville city merging with Greenville county would simplify things a lot as well. That would eliminate a lot of overlapping, and streamline everything. Hopefully, if that happens, the city's more progressive viewpoints will dominate over the county's less progressive tendencies.

But as gsupstate has pointed out before, there is something to be said for a smaller city limit. Greenville is perhaps able to offer more and address the finer details (i..e, increase quality of life) because of its size, despite it making the population look deceptively small.

I can't see Mauldin giving up it's city, unless the city of Greenville annexed all around it, enveloping it, and choking it from annexing any more into the county or city. Also the idea of the city moving into Pickens County would NEVER happen. I think that there would be more openness to annexation from Wade Hampton and Mauldin. Piedmont Park would never go for it, as this is County Council District 20, aka Scott Case. I need not say more.

Greenville won't be able to annex into Taylors unless Taylors voluntarily annexes. Taylors is a PSD, and it essentially provides the services the city does (except fire and police) so there is no serious incentive to annex. And given the fact that Taylors voted agaisnt forming a town last election, I expect that they won't wont to join any other town either.

Looks like Mauldin has its own ideas.

"There are a lot of benefits for people to be in Mauldin," Jones said. "And that's what we're going to try to let people know so that we can eventually become contiguous out to Woodruff Road and annex in anyone who wants to be in the city."

Thanks for posting Wellen.

Interesting indeed.

This shows what I have known for years, but many people don't. That is that living in the county CAN mean that you pay almost as much, or MORE, than living in the city. Water and Sewer rates are higher in the county. Also, the garbage fees charged by private companies is not an issue in the city. Plus, city taxes are income tax-deductible whereas (private service) garbage fees and water bills are not! Also, depending on the fire service ratings, your homeowner's insurance can be lower in the city.

"There are a lot of benefits for people to be in Mauldin," Jones said. "And that's what we're going to try to let people know so that we can eventually become contiguous out to Woodruff Road and annex in anyone who wants to be in the city."

Actually, Mauldin's annexation of a portion of the new development off of Miller Rd. got me thinking about this once again. Take that article -- or just the quote above -- and I'm not sure there's an argument here that's specific to Mauldin. Replace the word "Mauldin" with "a city" and the argument is just as persuasive. Inside a city -- be it Mauldin or Greenville or whatever city you want -- you get added services that are, presumably, more valuable than your incremental tax increase.

They make a great case for paying taxes in return for a package of services. They really don't make the case why that city should be Mauldin. Considering that City of Greenville residents also have cheaper water, that might make Greenville more attractive than Mauldin (though I can't speak to what the cost/tax difference is).

If this were a serious proposal -- as opposed to some yahoo like me tossing it out on a message board -- I would compare the tax rates (aware that they can flip-flop overnight) and the bundled services delivered. Then I'd want to know about response times and whether they would be adversely impacted. I haven't done that. But I'm not reading in this Tribune-Times article any boasts from the Mauldin side that shows why Mauldin is the right city for these prospective residents. They're just saying that they're A city.

Considering this is "urgent" -- because Greenville is moving closer to Mauldin -- you'd think they'd be making the comparative point...if it worked in their favor. The silence is deafening. Then again, this is a spin-off of a spin-off of USA Today that's covering the story, so I'll try not to read TOO much into it!

• 2 months later...

I understand that Greenville County has something like 140 different taxing districts -- that is, this area has 140 different combinations of taxing authorities between fire districts, city/non-city, water district, sewer district, schools, etc.

It's much simpler inside city limits...with residents of a particular city (Greer excepted) pretty much being covered by the same combination of taxing authorities.

I believe this was part of the impetus for consolidating Jacksonville and Duval County FL in the late 60s - jurisdictional fuzziness between too many 'districts,' municipalities and varied service providers, which led to breakdown, duplication of services in some areas, and a lack in others. In Jacksonville, there were other reasons, but 140 taxings districts in one county does sound like a potential mess.

I believe this was part of the impetus for consolidating Jacksonville and Duval County FL in the late 60s - jurisdictional fuzziness between too many 'districts,' municipalities and varied service providers, which led to breakdown, duplication of services in some areas, and a lack in others. In Jacksonville, there were other reasons, but 140 taxings districts in one county does sound like a potential mess.

It is.

Archived