Short Pump Developments

TBurban

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For now, I guess it will be the changing plans of the village. I emailed Unicorp again to see what the new plans are going to be. They say the whole village had to be altered in order to make space for the new 3rd 12 story tower. So hopefully we'll see the plans and renderings within the next week or so.

Im not sure what retailers this will attract. So many of the shopping centers out here have the same things. Salons and nail parlors. I think if the world ends, at least the ladies will look pretty :lol:

For now, I guess it will be the changing plans of the village. I emailed Unicorp again to see what the new plans are going to be. They say the whole village had to be altered in order to make space for the new 3rd 12 story tower. So hopefully we'll see the plans and renderings within the next week or so.

Im not sure what retailers this will attract. So many of the shopping centers out here have the same things. Salons and nail parlors. I think if the world ends, at least the ladies will look pretty :lol:

Hahaha, u're funny, Tommy! What about us guys?

I'm glad that u have started this thread, because regardless of those who protest too loudly, it's the wave of the future. Thank you, Tommy, for having youthful foresight! :)

I just love living in the novelty joke we call Richmond. I might as well put up signs around town saying "No need to open up business here, we're the city." Maybe we should ask the General Assembly to erase Richmond from the map since it is so useless and the suburb-soon-to-be-it's-own-city is the "wave of the future." Wilder's demolishing everything but historic districts and wealthy neighborhoods anyway. Soon there will be nothing left but open fields and condos normal people can't afford.

Screw Richmond.

So Burt, anything that deals with the suburbs is positive? Anything to even think of the city being successful is negative thinking.

Well that's just it, no more pics of the city for me. From now on I won't look for the city to be successful for anything but a novelty spot. It's not a place to live (safely) or to shop. Strictly a place to visit.

You have no idea how much your cast-offs of me upset me.

Richmond is a great city to live in. And sure, we dont get as much development as other cities, but that doesnt mean we are worse than them. Richmond will never be as big as Atlanta or Charlotte. Im mean, sure we could build up, but it's not going to happen overnight. Richmond needs time, and I know weve been waiting patiently but our time will come. Im sure things will spruce up around 2007. Until then, we have to shrug all this "non-development" off, because it's all that we can do. We have to wait it out and look ahead to the projects we know are going to be successful, which when the last time I checked, are a lot of developments. Richmond isnt perfect, it has flaws, every city has flaws. Thats all that Richmond is known for sometimes because its a major problem that will eventually be fixed. The city will look to it to make those changes where needed the most. I have sympathy for the mayor, who is dealing with the city's crime, the stadium, and the event of 2007 coming up and numerous other things. It's a tough job, and he's doing the best he can. Which I can understand isnt good enough for some, but it's better than nothing.

I am more personally upset with Burt than any issue with Richmond or Short Pump at the moment. I fail to understand the passion for suburban super-development or the Disneyfying of Richmond out in the pawpaw patch. To be fore this development is right and to be pro city is gauche. Cities are a thing of the past and are dead weight to the suburbs which technically shouldn't be called that at least in Richmond's case.

It'll only be a matter of time before our towers come down like the neighbhorhoods are thinning out as everyone is on a gold rush out of the dead place to imitations that bring up fond memories and correct the problems of that nasty place. The schools stink and they will never improve. The streets will never be safe (in black neigborhoods). It isn't a matter of patience and waiting for development, it's the overwhelming consensus that the city is a doomed failure as the mighty powers of success outside the frozen city limits is the only way to salvation.

I also don't understand how someone who lives in the most urban place on earth is so anti-urban. New York will never have the problems Richmond does as people seem to like that city and flock to it. I don't want to see Richmond be a mega city, I'd like for us to be respected or known for something positive to our nation. We won't get there though. Richmond is a thing of the past, from 1737 to the 1970s. Short Pump, Virginia is our future with its sister city Watkins Centre, Virginia and will eventually overshadow Richmond as it will only be a giant office park next to some historic districts and a crime-lover's paradise. There are and never will be any positives to Richmond ever again as it no longer matters.

Essssh, the city won't even fix its own streets as it has given up also. There's damage from Gaston still evident and probably won't be fixed. Trash is everywhere. Everything is overgrown and unmanaged. The murder rate, poverty, and failing schools will never be a thing of the past, but the everlasting symbol and legacy of a once glorious city. So thank you you all, I guess I'll start looking for a place in the counties and tear down the old family home which is now a shack that'd probably should be condemned. My mother and aunt want me out of the city anyway as it is a rotten, stinking hellhole. Thank you for enlightening me.

At least the skyline looks good. I'll take pictures of that, but why waste time photodocumenting a place that's dead and is of no worth? If I have time today I'll make it out to paradise and soak up what it means to be successful and important.

You're absolutely killing me here.

First off, this thread is about West Broad Village.

Second, I don't want to speak for Burt, but how in the world is he anti-urban? He seems to be thrilled about almost every urban project happening in the city. It doesn't have to be white or black...where you either like the burbs or the city.. There's a gray area! I am most interested in the city's RENAISSANCE, but I don't want to see the suburbs fall off the face of the earth. Each part of the region plays a role in the region. A $1 billion development in the suburbs is big news, and deserves its own thread. The project is a much smarter use of land than anything else built in Richmond's suburbs. IT also doesn't extend the Short Pump area any farther west. It's success can translate into similar smart suburban developments, including infill and redevelopment in older areas. Plus, talk to any commercial real estate anybody, and they'll tell you that edge cities around a center city mean a region is becoming big league. Richmond is becoming a major city, and it's something to be proud of.

No one else here thinks that Richmond is dying or any of the other incredibly negative things you've said about it repeatedly. There are billions of dollars being invested in the city. The real estate is hot, trust me. IMO, you're describing the city about a decade or more ago.

There is no overwhelming consensus. If you really believe all of those negative things, I'm sorry for you.

I'm not a fan of the drama...partly why I haven't posted as much recently. So Let's all get along again.

Now back to the topic of the thread, please.

I also don't understand how someone who lives in the most urban place on earth is so anti-urban. New York will never have the problems Richmond does as people seem to like that city and flock to it. I don't want to see Richmond be a mega city, I'd like for us to be respected or known for something positive to our nation. We won't get there though. Richmond is a thing of the past, from 1737 to the 1970s. Short Pump, Virginia is our future with its sister city Watkins Centre, Virginia and will eventually overshadow Richmond as it will only be a giant office park next to some historic districts and a crime-lover's paradise. There are and never will be any positives to Richmond ever again as it no longer matters.

This is just suburban sprawl. I guess Richmond is just not used to it yet. Just because the burbs happen to be going through some sprawl, doesnt mean the city will fall.

Talk of suburbia as being "the wave of the future" doesn't come across as being pro-urban areas. The constant backing of Short Pump in particular and implying the city can now not exist without it screams anti-Richmond. Remember, if this place had regionalism, I wouldn't have a problem, but since the counties hate the city and they can't get along, what's for Henrico is for Henrico only, what's for Chesterfield is for Chesterfield only, and good luck Richmond securing anything.

And Short Pump is not an edge city even though for some reason people want to make it have its own identity. Tell me, why Short Pump? Why is it Short Pump, Va with a Glen Allen zip code? Short Pump is no different from any other dot in Henrico, like Elko, Varina, Seven Pines, Glendale, and Springdale. Why wasn't there a Tuckahoe, Virgina? A Westham, Virginia?

This place steals the city's thunder. And you cannot ignore the truths about our fair city. They can't fix its own streets, there is overabundant poverty, fighting crime is like trying to swat a fruit fly, trash is everywhere, the hills are cluttered with debris and overgrown, and Richmond's schools are terrible. You can't attract people with truths like that. You can't just look at all the condos and say we've made it. That is beyond insufficient. This is a competitive area and everyone else has winning hands. This is not becoming a better city because we have Short Pump City, it only gives people more reasons to ignore Richmond. What good are our local restaurants if places like Bottoms Up add a location near Short Pump? I understand a location in the Fan or Carytown but Nuckols Rd?! That saves people the trouble of driving into the city and wasting their gas. But it's perfectly ok for them to locate a number of new stores to the region out there where others don't have the luxury of having it nearby.

The only major problem suburbs have is traffic. Maybe overcrowded schools come in second. Other than that there're excellent schools, low crime, clean environments, safety, prosperity, and lots of fresh new things. But list city problems, the list can go on and you can't deny that. Again, a research center, courthouse, and some condos are nice and show the city can get a crumb here and there but that's not going to fix the city or give it some kind of edge to draw anything but five blanks to a geniune shot.

But this is exhausting. I almost deleted my account before posting and if any of the mods see it fit, then thanks for having me. I'll be on my way to Short Pump now... I'll keep track of the time, miles, and how much gas is used.

Suburbia isn't the wave of the future, but developing high-density mixed use developments is. That's what West Broad Village is. I welcome it over the sprawling strip malls and waste of land mcmansion neighborhoods that typify suburbia.

And I don't think the place steals the city's thunder. These merry-go-round discussions steal the city's thunder. Yes, the city has problems...every city in the world has problems. Every place, even Short Pump, has problems. I intend to help make a difference. It's much more effective at achieving an end than complaining.

There's a Bottom's Up near Woodlake too. BUT, I know that most of the people I know would prefer to go to the downtown location any day over the suburban one. It's simply expanding on a successful brand. The owner of the franchised suburban restaurant and the Newport News restaurant is different than the owner of the Shockoe Bottom location. Buffalo Wild Wings location downtown thrives, but they have one in Chesterfield too that does well also.

Deleting accounts? There's nothing wrong with a good debate, and one shouldn't be taken personally. But for guy's sake, we should stay on topics :lol:

Also, just let me quickly add.... what has Richmond City done to promote regionalism? About as much as the counties... nothing. So, I think in this instance, all of our elected leaders are to blame on this issue. This is something Wilder could and should try to tackle before he leaves office.

Now, sorry about that!

Any renderings you have for WBV, Tommy?

It's not off topic. I am worried about the effects this project will have on the city. And my argument repeats because suburbia comes up a lot and I am constantly reminded. Plus, I get the feeling most people here don't live within the city's borders so the suburban experience is something you're used to. I'm used to it too but I also remember the last days of downtown and ever since the last of the great stores closed, I've had a grudge. That started when I was at least 11. Downtown hasn't been dead as long as people think. I also think when something has been a certain way for a while people get so used and accustomed to it that they tend to believe it's supposed to be that way. I will quit speaking for those I know who'd like to see more attention to this side of town. Finances is always an issue here, but out there, when they say they're going to build something, it happens.

But fine, I give up. I am not trying to be negative, but I see the differences and so do thousands of others. The only thing I can do is complain because I do not have any money, power, or influence to change anything, particularly people's minds. The things I saw today I'd never see and I guess that's ok. It has to be. I wasn't kidding, I'm going through the 139 pics I took out there today. It took me 22 minutes from my door to Pump and Broad, 15.8 miles on the odometer. I probably burned not even 1/16 tank of gas. I stopped at Target (my second visit) and got gas... with 5 choices?! I didn't pay much attention on my way home, 15.1 miles, the time was off because of a bad accident on westbound 64 in the 195 lane onto 64. Looks like an SUV caught fire.

Wilder is not going to build regionalism and the only way it can be accomplished is through the General Assembly which has no interest in city issues.

So, I'll try to share the pics later if I can get through them. I took most of them at the smallest size so I'd only have to lighten. But enjoy, with a heavy heart I'm through.

Plus, I get the feeling most people here don't live within the city's borders so the suburban experience is something you're used to.

Can't really control my parents homemaking decisions, but once I'm out of GMU *cough*Final Four!*cough* I'm determined to live in the city. Honestly, I can't wait. Downtown, the Fan, the bottom, wherever will take me I'll be heading! :w00t:

Good luck with getting info from unicorp tommy!

Can't really control my parents homemaking decisions, but once I'm out of GMU *cough*Final Four!*cough* I'm determined to live in the city. Honestly, I can't wait. Downtown, the Fan, the bottom, wherever will take me I'll be heading! :w00t:

Good luck with getting info from unicorp tommy!

In my fourty-plus years of Richmond living, I never resided anywhere except within the city limits. If ever I were to move back, it probably would be downtown.

But as long as I'm agile enough to continue enjoying New York City, a move back is not in my immediate plans.

Archived