Short Pump Developments

TBurban

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was talk about the two-acre lot at the intersections of Three Chopt and Broad. Construction has started and the land is already cleared. Im not sure whats going there though. Its the piece of land in the corner edge of WBV. WBV should break ground by the end of this year. :thumbsup:

There was talk about the two-acre lot at the intersections of Three Chopt and Broad. Construction has started and the land is already cleared. Im not sure whats going there though. Its the piece of land in the corner edge of WBV. WBV should break ground by the end of this year. :thumbsup:

There is already some heavy equipment on site. I saw it yesterday.

That two acre chunk is not part of WBV, is it? Agent Burban, keep your eyes peeled for signs indicating what is going up there and report back to Headquarters. That's your mission, should you choose to accept it. :lol:

That two acre chunk is not part of WBV, is it? Agent Burban, keep your eyes peeled for signs indicating what is going up there and report back to Headquarters. That's your mission, should you choose to accept it. :lol:

Haha, Im on it. If Im not mistaken, that two acre corner lot is seperate from WBV :thumbsup:

Very nice! I really love the landscaping including the fountain. Is this a new method used now - building some malls with the corridors outside instead of inside? Neat idea. Even if it rains no one would have to get wet because of way it is built plus the landscaping would also enjoy the rainwater. :)

Very nice! I really love the landscaping including the fountain. Is this a new method used now - building some malls with the corridors outside instead of inside? Neat idea. Even if it rains no one would have to get wet because of way it is built plus the landscaping would also enjoy the rainwater. :)

Yeah, it's a great mall. It uses the "open-air" concept. Even in the winter time, they put a real christmas tree in the grassy area and when it snows, its beautiful. Theres also a train that transports kids and their parents from place to place. Its the place to be in Short Pump. They host a Summer Concert Series which includes bands such as Marna Bales, Clay Motley, and Kings of Swing.

This is a picture of the old grocery store in the real Short Pump.

The Short Pump Grocery is typical of the local grocery store/ filling stations, which were built along the rapidly growing major highways in rural Virginia. Unlike the stores of earlier times which were stocked with every item essential to farm living from needles to flour, these stores were stocked with items desired by customers moving along major thoroughfares. The rural grocery store served more as a gathering place where people stopped to hear the local news, discuss politics and socialize.
image002.jpg

The Short Pump Garage was always a popular meeting place for 'locals.' Mechanics worked on cars while others engaged in 'shop talk.'

Short Pump Garage was built around 1930 by Seward's Lumber Company. When Broad Street was widened in 1995, the garage was scheduled to be demolished. Field Day of the Past volunteers moved the building along with the Short Pump Grocery Store to the show grounds where it has been restored as closely as possible to its original state.

GasStation.jpg

Read more here

These are the only two things left standing after suburban sprawl hit Short Pump in the early 90's. They are actually located in the true Short Pump, 3.5 miles away from where we know Short Pump to be now. There also stands a fire tower ranger station beside the Grocery Store and Gas Station. There has been talks of demolition of these two structures, as sprawl grows near and near these "should be historic landmarks"

• 1 month later...

A June 2006 Update from Richmond Magazine, here it goes.

West Broad Village, a 113 acre mixed-use development.

The development will have 480,000-500,000 square feet of retail space, including Whole Foods(as BGW mentioned earlier :thumbsup: )

It will also house 884 condominiums and townhouses along with a full service hotel and office space for a yet to be determined client.

Site work has been expected to start early June, with the first store opening by 2007.

Two 18 story towers have been in the works, with earlier proposal for two 22 story towers. 3, 12 story towers have been planned, but most likely not happening due to lack of space and bordering wetlands. They will most likely stick with 2, 18 story towers.

John Rolfe Parkway will be under construction shortly, which will extend from West Broad to Ridgefield Parkway. The I-295 and I-64 Interchange. The widening of I-64 from 288 to 295. The widening of Pouncey Tract Road. Along with the expansion of Gayton Road from West Broad to Shady Grove Road. ( As Burt had mentioned earlier :thumbsup: )

Estimated cost of West Broad Village reach near $1 billion.

Any questions? Ask away, Im sure the answer is somethwere in this article, as I just highlighted the main things :thumbsup:

Good posting, Tommy. But if it is from Richmond Magazine which is a monthly, the info has to be about 30 days old.

I thought they had definitely decided against anything taller than 12 stories.

PS: I do't suppose Lenny favored you with a reply?

Good posting, Tommy. But if it is from Richmond Magazine which is a monthly, the info has to be about 30 days old.

I thought they had definitely decided against anything taller than 12 stories.

PS: I do't suppose Lenny favored you with a reply?

This was the June addition, would it be that old? They actually hadnt decided against anything taller than 12 stories. They want to keep the main office space in the towers. They had mentioned that if they wanted to have the same amount of office space in 3, 12 story towers, they would have to have more land, which they dont due to wetlands. They have been leaning back towards the two taller towers. They had also stated they do not wish to build anything under 10 stories. Something like this was stated; "We do not wish to make our office space smaller, but at the same time, be good neighbors"

And no, he hadnt emailed me back yet. I suppose he's keeping it under wraps :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Is that a new street thru West Broad Village in the 1st and 2nd pictures?

What was your POV - or from where on the property did you take the pictures?

Good reporting, Tommy.

This is actually right next to Short Pump Town Center. The road I was standing on will be the one that connects the mall, with this development. To my left, was an apartment complex, West Creek or something like that, and to my right was Dominion Chevrolet :thumbsup:

And thanks, Burt :)

I'm confused, Tommy. I thought West Broad Village was a mile or so east of Short Pump at the junction of Broad and I-64 near Innsbrook. It's where the two or three new high rises are to be built.

And I thought the new project west of SPTC, where the new Hilton is to be, had another name.

:dontknow:

Yeah, thats the location of West Broad Village. This was a comstruction update of Town Center West(the one by SPTC), Id figure Id use this thread a s a little Short Pump development thread :thumbsup:

Archived