Short Pump Developments

TBurban

Sure Burt, take a historic Indian trail and destroy it... make an impostor road. Gotta love how time changes things. While we're at it, let's reroute Broad Street northward.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure Burt, take a historic Indian trail and destroy it... make an impostor road. Gotta love how time changes things. While we're at it, let's reroute Broad Street northward.

All those things have already occurred, except I'm not sure Broad Street has taken a northward bent.

Westward Ho! :)

Speaking of access ramps, does anyone know whether the new I295 flyover project will include the addition of an access ramp to the "downtown" short pump area directly from 295? As it is, anyone traveling to SPTC from 295 is forced to either go east on 64 and get off at Broad Street or west on 64 and get off at Broad Street via 288. The former route means dealing with almost certain congestion along Broad St. from 64 to SPTC. The latter is just really out of the way. As a former resident around the Staples Mill/295 interchange, I actually found it most convenient to travel through Twin Hickory and access Short Pump via Pouncey Tract. My point is that all of these options are inefficient and cause increased traffic and unnecessarily lengthened trip times. I feel like direct access from 295 would solve the problem for northern residents. Does anyone know whether this has been discussed by planners/vdot?

It seems as natural as breathing to extend 295 to Broad, through the parking area next to Walmart. A stoplight already exists there at Broad, and it would provide better access to WBV and adjacent new development. Currently at the end of 295, where you must exit onto 64, the road does continue straight for a few hundred feet past the concrete barriers, so you can tell that the original plan must have been to extend 295 here. It would only be about 1200 more feet to Broad St. I believe this was the original plan for the John Rolfe Parkway corridor.

check out Cam's pics on page 2 - post # 25, which shows the original plan for John Rolf connecting to 295. Now I think they've abandoned plans for most of the remaining route, but i think there are still plans for a short stretch south of Broad.

Thanks for the reference, McLaw.

According to TBurban's quote from Richmond Magazine (see his entry posted June 11th at 11:38AM on page 3)* John Rolfe will extend from Broad Street to Ridgefield Pkwy.

Seems to me I read a year or two ago that it would connect to West Creek, but I probably made that up. :lol:

* Note when we refer back to certain page numbers here we may be misleading because every posting shifts previous posts. That's why I cite date and time of posts.

Is there enough room for John Rolfe to meandor through the neigborhoods from Ridgefield Pkwy to Broad? As far as a connection to West Creek, what about Ridgefiled Pkwy connecting to Tuckahoe Creek Pkwy? I can't believe that wasn't part of 288 construction.

Is there enough room for John Rolfe to meandor through the neigborhoods from Ridgefield Pkwy to Broad?

Doubtful- The land directly in from of Rolfe's northern terminus (adjacent to the strip mall) is owned (and slated for development) by a church.

I don't understand why it needs to go to Broad anyway. Rolfe is just a couple of blocks from both Pump and Lauderdale, both of which go to Broad just fine.

Looks like WBV is still under fire . . .

Micky Ogburn, of the Windsor Place Homeowners Association and a resident who has been involved in talks since the beginning, penned a wish list that she would like addressed before the meeting July 26. Among the requests are office buildings with no more than 12 stories, a hotel with no more than 10 stories, a 100-residence reduction and traffic-calming devices in two neighborhoods.

I'd kinda like to see smaller towers in WBV. Let's save the big boys for downtown!

TD article 7/13

http://www.wtvr.com/Global/story.asp?S=5145837

According to CBS6, Groundbreaking for West Broad Village is TODAY!!!

Too bad TBurban is on vacation. He could whip around there and give us a first-hand report.

I'd much rather have those proposed 20+story towers downtown - but better 20 stories out there in WBV than 12 floor squatty nubs that will make no statement.

Wonder who they have in mind for tenants?

So I decided to take 64 from work today... I probably should have used my usual route. Geez the traffic is horrible at rush hour on that part of Broad. I had to duck into a road with a light so I wouldn't have to fight to get to the far left lane. And boy are the people out there roadhogs!

So I got a glimpse of the Holy Land while on the ramp to 64 east. OOOOH YAY! *Excitement* *Sarcastic excitement!* Channel 6 has its head so far up Short Pump's butt, they celebrate everything. If a great dane left a perfect pile on Broad St., it'd be given days of coverage, perhaps its own news special, along with many smiles.

** edited for content

http://www.wtvr.com/Global/story.asp?S=5145837

According to CBS6, Groundbreaking for West Broad Village is TODAY!!!

Ohh buggars!! I missed it :angry: This is the one thing Ive been waiting for since I heard about the project :cry: (aside the completion of course) I shalll have pictures by the end of this week :thumbsup:

Id of liked to hear the rest of Cam's story though..... -_-

The WBV folks are close to closing agreements with Recreation Equipment (REI) and Borders Books according to Gilligan at the TD. They say 50% of the retail space is committed.

Yay! Thanks for the update, Burt! Ill have to drive over there sometime today and get some pictures :thumbsup:

According to my neighborhood sources, a while back, if some of you remember. In one of the neighborhoods bordering WBV, there was a gas line leak. Apparently, this gas line runs staright through WBV. They have already contacted the company, and WBV's first step will be to remove and relocate the gas line. After that, the clearing of the land should occur.

And that two-lane road with forests and farms surrounding it... where is it? It had like a general store and other stuff. :huh:

I think you're refering to Pouncey Tract Rd. If you look on the map, it's VA Rt. 271. South of Broad, it's Pump Rd. and north of Broad, it's Pouncey Tract. I believe the general store you mention is a little white building just before Pouncey Tract T's into Nuckols Rd. It's now a little dry cleaners.

There are lots of subdivisions being built on Pouncey Tract Rd., so the forests and farms you mention have been, or will be, dissappearing fast. One good news story....One of the old farm houses which has been torn down, was discovered to have originally been a log cabin. They dismantled the log cabin part, and reassembled it somewhere in New Kent County.

I'm familiar with the area, since I live just up Nuckols Rd. from Pouncey Tract.

Wasn't it part of the Colonial Pipeline? Part of it runs just south of Ancarrow's Landing and through Tree Hill Farm eastward. It also runs up and down the east coast. But if you look at the maps on Henrico's site, you can trace the pipeline... I guess it's a secret.

http://ns1.co.henrico.va.us/maps/ It's best for me to look places up by street. Then pick an address by GPIN, then click on the P. I. sheet. It'll open a pdf and I usually jump from map to map by entering the map number of a sheet surrounding the initial one listed at the bottom left. So if the map you're looking at is 78 and the address is http:// ns1.co.henrico.va.us/maps/fdisplay2.php?mnm=78&mtp=t and you want to go to the one above it, just endter that map number in the address and press enter. You can also look at the color zoning map by putting a c in place of the t at the end of the address.

Archived