Short Pump Developments

TBurban

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I just cant seem to find where I put the email that contained the renderings. Gosh darn it, I hope I didnt loose it. Ive just recovered my I-295 Flyover renderings and posted in Suburban Developments. Ill keep looking. Sorry about this guys, I had them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've lived in the Short Pump area my whole life, and boy has it really changed in just a short while. I know that this is the first time that I have posted in this topic, and I just finished reading all the posts. I thought that I would just offer my insight on to the projects that are going on in the area and my thoughts.

I know that with the West Broad Village area, there have been no final renderings released as of yet. The only renderings for that are that are available are the Short Pump Station ones. Short Pump Station will be located where the current Three Chopt Lane is, which will no longer be there when the project is completed. SPS is slated to finished within the next year. As far as the John Rolfe Parkway project, it is suppose to be up and running soon and be completed around the time that all the other projects are done.

As was mentioned in a previous post about the few hundred feet of road extending past the barriers on the I-295 off ramp, the original proposal was to extend I-295 from I-64 south and conect up with I-95. That project was put on hold and looked into again, and to make a long story short, the end product is the current Route 288. When they started to look at building John Rolfe, it was to go from Patterson Ave. (US Route 6) to West Broad Street (US Route 250). There was much debate in the local community about building in and where the actual zonning for the road project to be. The current John Rolfe extends from Lauderdale Drive to Ridgefield Parkway. The next stretch which will go from Ridgefield to Broad, has been approved after many community meetings, and will involve the rebuilding of the intersection of Pump Road and Church Road.

Current Intersection:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...015803,0.042915

New Intersection:

http://www.co.henrico.va.us/planning/speci...chpump-plan.pdf

As far as the road work that will done on the I-64 and I-295 interchange, that work should be done by 2010. That whole project will include building a flyover from I-64 West onto I-295 South, widening of Pouncey Tract Road North of West Broad Street to just past the I-295 bridge at the intersection of Pouncey Tract Road and Twin Hickory Lake Dr., and replacing the bridge over I-295. The extension of Gayton Road from West Broad Street, over I-64 and connect at the intersection of Shady Grove Road and Pouncey Tract Road is expected to be completed by 2010.

http://www.co.henrico.va.us/works/images/N...tonRd%20(2).jpg

Thats all I know of as of right now for all the hustle and bustle that is going on in the Short Pump Area. All I know is that by the time all this construction is done, hopefully the traffice congestion will be solved as well, but highly unlikely since the growth of the area is way too rapid for the pace of the county planners that are trying to solve problems that have been around for many years. Hope some of you have found this information useful, and I will pass along any new information as it comes across.

Mike

I just thought I would add this little bit. For those of yall that would like to look at the renderings for Short Pump Station and the layout, they are available on the contractors website http://www.collinsgoodman.com

Mike

Hi, Mike, and welcome. Will Short Pump Station's retail compete and/or complement the plans for Whole Foods, the book store, etc. at adjacent West Broad Village?

Do you know anything about where Mead/Westvaco may build its new headquarters? Do you suspect it will be in one of the towers planed at WBV?

Will the Ridgefield Pkwy, or perhaps another road, ever connect into Goochland's West Creek?

Don't mean to beseige you with questions but am hoping you will be a fountain of information for us avid readers. :)

I'm about to leave so I'll be wilderbeest hunting... got the camera this time.

Mike... a little about me... I'm not a big Short Pump fan and I do not like how a dot on the map is given this giant recognition even without its own zip code. There is no downtown Short Pump. it is not a town like Highland Springs, Laurel, Sandston etc. It's a glorified dot on the map, a part of Glen Allen.

Until Henrico declares Short Pump an actual unincorporated town, I won't recognize it as such.

I'm about to leave so I'll be wilderbeest hunting... got the camera this time.

Mike... a little about me... I'm not a big Short Pump fan and I do not like how a dot on the map is given this giant recognition even without its own zip code. There is no downtown Short Pump. it is not a town like Highland Springs, Laurel, Sandston etc. It's a glorified dot on the map, a part of Glen Allen.

Until Henrico declares Short Pump an actual unincorporated town, I won't recognize it as such.

Just ignore Cam. :wacko: The rest of us are quite interested in Short Pump. :)

Like hell we would.

And don't ignore me. You have to admit Burt, Short Pump IS a dot on the map, yet it's treated as it's own fully-functioning, chartered, governed and represented, incorporated city or town. It's a damn strip mall! And yet people want to identify themselves as being from a place that doesn't really exist except as a crossroads? Where is the Short Pump voting district? Television stations give temperature readings and forecasts for a friggin' mall! When was the last time you heard of Virginia Center Commons, Virginia? How about Innsbrook, Virginia? Is Wyndham it's own city yet? You can't just make a place out of an overblown strip mall and environs. Even when West Broad Village is built, it'll be West Broad Village, not a part of Short Pump further up the road.

A lot of us think of all the places you have listed above as one entity and call it Short Pump. You seem to recall only that lonly gas station. And in the end, what does it matter whether you dislike it and I like it? It's there to stay and grow however either of us feels.

My point is it's a MALL! It's calling the area around Regency, Regency, Virginia. As I said, Short Pump was, is, and always will be a crossroads, not an area, not a town, not a city, not its own county. If the area around RIR were to be developed into a strip or a bunch of overpriced shops, would it be called RIR, Va? Would the whole area nearby... Essex Village, Springdale, East Highland Park, and parts of Northside be absorbed into RIR? That's what this little dot is doing.. it's eating away at the identity of established nearby places and then it's supposed to have its own downtown? It's supposed to be its own place? Well Burt, no matter how much you love Short Pump, it is and never will be its own entity on par with Harrisonburg, Mechanicsville, Farmville, Williamsburg, Emporia, and Charlottesville as the weather maps list it. STOP TREATING THE MALL AND STRIP AS AN INCORPORATED, CHARTERED PLACE! I don't see Zion's Crossroad or any other crossroad elevated to some idiotic mythic level.

Welcome Mike...

And Cam... I know it's a pet peeve and all but geez. In the whole scheme of things, is it really worth getting worked up over? It's a name that specifies a certain area in the West End, and it works for some people. I'd bet 99% of most people don't put as much importance in the name as you do. It's just not that big of a deal.

Yeah, you say that now... but don't come to me when the entire west end is Short Pump and gaining territory by the day!

And yes, if you don't know where you live, perhaps you shouldn't live there at all. Place names are important. Let's start calling Virginia, North Carolina then. Or Highland Springs, Varina.

It causes all kinds of chaos and disorder. It is just not right. I know you know right and wrong. There is what is right and correct and there is wrong and horribly incorrect. Richmonders love to wallow in ignorance and they defend it too. A place is given its name for a reason. Unless there's annexation, there's no excuse for one place to take over the identity of another. And people should always know what is right and correct. If they don't, then what's the use in being correct in other aspects?

Dare to be stupid! - Weird Al

Archived